Iraqiel's menagerie - Project Log - Page 30 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #291 of 378 (permalink) Old 04-23-16, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin View Post
how do you get the effects on those cloaks?
Haha I continue to steal @xenobiotic 's neat painting tutorial skills and get entirely satisfactory results. I've done the same thing on my titan carapace and the underside of my FW flyers.

Base coat black
Bright Red, Bright blue shapes with thin back divides between.
Heavy Stipple black back over it, so that you get a real dispersion of the blue and red with black completely covering parts, darkening other parts and leaving some the original shade.
Get a white-blue and an orange and just do little splodges in the parts of the red and blue still at original colour, so that it looks like they are glowing at those points.
Get white and yellow to just make the blue and orange spots pop.
wash the whole lot with purple wash.

Voila!

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #292 of 378 (permalink) Old 04-23-16, 01:56 PM
jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
Haha I continue to steal @xenobiotic 's neat painting tutorial skills and get entirely satisfactory results. I've done the same thing on my titan carapace and the underside of my FW flyers.

Base coat black
Bright Red, Bright blue shapes with thin back divides between.
Heavy Stipple black back over it, so that you get a real dispersion of the blue and red with black completely covering parts, darkening other parts and leaving some the original shade.
Get a white-blue and an orange and just do little splodges in the parts of the red and blue still at original colour, so that it looks like they are glowing at those points.
Get white and yellow to just make the blue and orange spots pop.
wash the whole lot with purple wash.

Voila!
might have to build my knight kit chaos
and try that out.
frankly i have no idea how you get so much done so well and such big scale.
post #293 of 378 (permalink) Old 04-23-16, 06:36 PM
To The Dark Tower Came

The Gunslinger's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'm glad my awestruck viewing is encouraging.
It's great to see all those tanks and guardsmen do battle and I really like your skittari (autocorrect did not like trying to write that) great work as usual.

post #294 of 378 (permalink) Old 04-27-16, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Raced to finish a second Onager for a game tomorrow. Success!

But at what cost? So... tired...

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #295 of 378 (permalink) Old 04-27-16, 09:06 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

oooh, gorgeous patterning there. I may well have missed something here but what's the "starry night" section signify/represent?

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #296 of 378 (permalink) Old 04-28-16, 03:44 AM
jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
oooh, gorgeous patterning there. I may well have missed something here but what's the "starry night" section signify/represent?
simple and effective.
the cracking effect looks good as is,
and provides an ideal base for further shading, lining and highlighting.

the "starry night" pattern recalls the blinking lights adorning spacecraft control rooms in popular sci-fi representations.
sort of looks like "computation is happening, here".
maybe different color patterns distinguish the different units?

the base is very cool.
is that base covered with a sheet of something cut from a larger sheet of something?
that is some cool work.
post #297 of 378 (permalink) Old 04-28-16, 05:28 AM

Tha Tall One's Flag is: Netherlands

post #298 of 378 (permalink) Old 04-28-16, 06:16 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Great work man - I love the little details you've done in the reds. It makes the model much more lively
post #299 of 378 (permalink) Old 04-29-16, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Thanks Mossy! Awesome to see you visit the plog, In a few weeks you may see me do some more chaos stuff as I get inspired by these campaigns again!

The Starry night section is on there because my Adeptus Mechanicus are all intended to be bondsmen of a Titan Legion. They wear the legion colours in various formats. The first three onagers will have the starry stripe like these ones, and if I do more I may do a cross over the front panel by adding a perpendicular line of the pattern. The legion colours are the red and the starry night, like on the Warhound that I did earlier.

Fluff wise, it represents that although there are a number of forgeworlds in the alliance that supports the Legio Audax Redemptor, the Flagship is a space bound Ark Mechanicus, where the seat of the Principal ArchMagos is.

Quote:
sort of looks like "computation is happening, here".
maybe different color patterns distinguish the different units?
That's a really good idea! I think I'll keep it with the blue/red patterning as I've already done that across the Army so far, but I like that thought!

Quote:
the base is very cool.
is that base covered with a sheet of something cut from a larger sheet of something?
that is some cool work.
Thanks mate. The base is covered with a cut out of foamcore board that I bought at a local art/craft store. It's about 5mm thick, has a thin card over the back and front and is centrally a porous foam, which can be cut easily with a knife and painted using acrylics no problem. The brick pattern is scored in with a knife, painted over with a brown texture paint (lots of dirty finger wipe away the surface paint to leave the line beneath and dirt streaks look) and then a wash with Agrax Earthshade. The green bit is from the DV template sprue, which I made a solemn vow to use one day and am very happy I did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Tall One View Post
Beautiful! Well done sir!
Thanks mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
Great work man - I love the little details you've done in the reds. It makes the model much more lively
Thanks Nord! I wanted to do a mechanicus house that had a bit more subtlety to the detail when I set out to do my knight. The subtlety is totally lost now with the starry pattern, but I consider it a suitable sacrifice on the altar of distinctness! I took inspiration for the red patterning from GW's House Hawkshroud.

Well, the rush was worth it and I got to play a game tonight! 1500 Points Skitarii with some GK Allies versus Nurgle Black Legion. The forge world was in the process of reclaiming some ruins when a warp storm erupted and enveloped half the planet. A Grey Knight Strike Cruiser arrived in system shortly afterwards, and the Skitarii were dispatched to investigate a hab where a lot of workers had died very suddenly.

On arriving, they found a bit more heat than they could handle! Over the seven turns of the game, the Skitarii gave a good account for themselves but ultimately couldn't face the firepower of the Chaos marines, and their Grey Knight allies teleported in only to be bogged down and stabbed to death by the plague marines. Carnage!

The Nurgle Strike force 1500 points and a spawn/prince prepared for boon of chaos

The Skitarii investigation force, with an allied Detachment of Grey Knights

Skitarii deploy forward, into a loose line ready to advance and clear the district:

But the Chaos forces have taken up hidden positions, their rhinos garaged within ruins and their obliterators hulking down in shattered manufactorums.

Despite early losses, the Black Legions' plague marines surge forward, screaming into battle.

The warp interferes with the Grey Knight teleportation matrix, scattering the Terminators into the centre of the enemy line!

The warp favours the chaos terminators, depositing them right in the centre of a huddle of Mechanicus forces, preparing to obliterate all before them...

But a few fall to the powers of the skitarii nonetheless. The Dominus, undaunted by the horrifying aspect of the Nurgle worshipers, charges in to combat supported by a band of vanguard!

However, with fire concentrated on the terminators, the plague marines easily destroy a haywire armed squad of skitarii and secure an ominous monument...

The Grey Knights, meanwhile, have felt the wrath of the obliterators and charged forwards notwithstanding, preparing to deal death to the Traitor marines!

Only to find themselves enmeshed in history's biggest slapfight where the terminators find themselves unable to kill any of the T5, 4+ FnP (endurance) marines...

The Chaos terminators have more success, killing the vanguard and making the Dominus Run, then butchering all ten of the Rangers between two of them.
Despite their luck, it was merely an unworthy offering to nurgle in winning the challenge... probably because the Ranger champion was more machine than man... twisted and Oh, no wait...

Meanwhile, the Chaos lord chases down and reengages the Dominus... which will prove to be an error for him!

Nurgle's knife boys shiv the blazes out of the Grey Knight Terminators, the Librarian runs two inches and rallies, ready to dive back in...

But despite his confidence and bravery, he proves an inept fighter, landing precisely zero wounds and only killing one with a vortex of doom before he is, himself, stabbed to death with rusty knives... Earning the sorcerer a boon of 'Crusader' for his troubles.

The last of the vanguard regret their life decisions as they look up at the apparently unkillable Obliterator, who has passed a truly horrific number of 2+ saves over the last four turns...

The Dominus clears out the last of the terminators, but he's in trouble as it's just him and two onagers left, one of which is about to be floored by every surviving plague marine...

And so it ends, the Plague Marines destroying the Onager, the Dominus charging in and failing to wound at all, and then Chaos emerging triumphant at 15 to 11 points and a goodly win in terms of forces.

Next game, chaos will ambush the Grey Knights at their landing zone, removing them from the equation if they can win!

Iraqiel

post #300 of 378 (permalink) Old 04-29-16, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

I'm a bit bemused by how crap my greenstuff skills are, but here is my combat familiar to go with the lord in my Path to Glory Campaign.

Iraqiel

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode