Iraqiel's menagerie - Project Log - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 378 (permalink) Old 11-24-13, 04:11 PM

That, sir, is glorious. I applaud your ingenuity in creating such a beautiful conversion, and take my hat off to your vision and skill in executing it. The banner as a loincloth is simply brilliant.

"You all did see that on the Lupercal
I thrice presented him a kingly crown,
Which he did thrice refuse: was this ambition?
Yet Brutus says he was ambitious;
And, sure, he is an honorable man."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 378 (permalink) Old 11-25-13, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddraig Cymry View Post
Good idea! Maybe have a Grey Knight standing under him pointing at something for the Dreadknight to attack? Like he's it's master?
Hmmmm interesting idea! If you ever played Might and Magic VI, I was thinking the scene in the intro where the ghost 'breaks out' from the barbarian's body... only a power armoured grey knight ghost emanating from the riderless Dreadknight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonorableMan View Post
That, sir, is glorious. I applaud your ingenuity in creating such a beautiful conversion, and take my hat off to your vision and skill in executing it. The banner as a loincloth is simply brilliant.
*Blush* Thanks. But to be honest (and honourable?) I did a lot of reference material searching on google before I decided how to do what I wanted to do.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #23 of 378 (permalink) Old 11-25-13, 09:08 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
Hmmm, Varakir I'm not not sure which lightning you are refering to... The 'arcs of electricity' on the pistons (Jump kit?) at the back or the detailing on the armour?

With the armour, I was hoping for an 'inlay' effect, like a reverse of the etching you can see here:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~morrisrh/pics/gaunt1.jpg
I meant the detailing on the armour, I should have read your post rather than just looking at the pretty pictures :p

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer

post #24 of 378 (permalink) Old 11-25-13, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
just looking at the pretty pictures
Honestly, I'm totally guilty of this as well. Especially on your Log, there are plenty of pretty pictures there to be distracted by.

Having said that, I think you are right even if it isn't lightning. I've painted it base gunmetal, Asurmen Blue wash, Leadbelcher layer and then Mithril Silver paterning, but I almost feel like I should have either green stuff'd the pattern (too hard for with my current skill, honestly) or done something different with the paint... either source lighting or using a Devlan/Badab combo and relayering metalics to give it more depth and 'age'. How would you suggest doing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeMarine View Post
And im also wondering if you have any more shots of your terrain. Im looking at the one at the top of this page and im astunded at ho well made it is. I need to steal some of your ideas
Well Swede, no 'fresh' ideas yet sorry, but I do have a cupboard full of terrain that is luring me with its siren call (also I need to not spend quite so much money on plastic spacemen at the moment) so you never know.

Slightly related, here are the tyrannids (and some other bitz) I said I'd finish this month... I'm not so sure now, because I pulled out my 'things I bought from Ebay before work took me overseas' box and and found THIS:

I am childishly excited to get this going. I did have to hide that leviathan crusader though, because I actually do not want to start that until I have my hands on an airbrush.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #25 of 378 (permalink) Old 11-25-13, 09:02 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Ah the crashed Aquilla lander. That is the only piece of terrain GW has ever produced that I've ever wanted to get. Are you going to assemble it as is or combine then all?
post #26 of 378 (permalink) Old 11-25-13, 09:16 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
Having said that, I think you are right even if it isn't lightning. I've painted it base gunmetal, Asurmen Blue wash, Leadbelcher layer and then Mithril Silver paterning, but I almost feel like I should have either green stuff'd the pattern (too hard for with my current skill, honestly) or done something different with the paint... either source lighting or using a Devlan/Badab combo and relayering metalics to give it more depth and 'age'. How would you suggest doing it?
I think the technique is fine, just the patterns are not intricate enough. The detail is quite sparse and spaced out on your dreadknight, so it naturally draws the eye as something that stands out.

If you had covered the whole surface with lots of swirly patterns (like on the gauntlet) then it becomes less obvious, and the eye is drawn to the more prominent features like the banner.

It'd be a pretty daunting task to get those kind of details down on the armour though - i'm not sure i'd even attempt it and probably just leave them plain silver. I do really like the idea though and i think it'd be fun to try out.

All that aside, it's still a fantastic model and looks awesome as it is

Also, i am insanely jealous of your crashed ship BFM scenery. I keep looking out for cheap 4th edition sets but no luck yet!

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #27 of 378 (permalink) Old 11-26-13, 12:44 PM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Use a dark grey or even Black as a base layer for the vines and then just go over with a fine layer of metal color of your choice and the whole thing should pop more. It would certainly add depth to the model. You can take it a step further and Base the outline with Black. then a darker grey to bring the intensity down a bit from the black and then finally lay down a chainmail/ mithril silver equivalent. (or go with a lighter grey for more of a NMM effect. Other than that Its a gorgeous Model Mate im not sure id be able to pull that off as well as you have.

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #28 of 378 (permalink) Old 11-26-13, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
covered the whole surface with lots of swirly patterns
I did consider this, but after much finger gnawing I decided I didn't have time this month to figure out how to make it look right. I'd have needed to reflect the 'wreath' and eucalyptus leaf in the pattern to make it fit with the other models, but unlike them I've put two lines of pattern on each surface instead of one. It looks... not crowded. I was scared to change that, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeMarine View Post
Use a dark grey or even Black as a base layer for the vines and then just go over with a fine layer of metal color of your choice and the whole thing should pop more.
I definitely considered this swede. I have toyed with NMM effect before with... limited... success (I think I need more blending skills and patience to pull it off). I decided not to black base to try and give a consistency to the model... It sounds a bit pretentious when I've not been skilled enough to pull off the really fancy etched look, but I wanted the armour to be one piece of embellished armour without giving too much 'embossing' to the pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
Are you going to assemble it as is or combine then all?
It assembles? Eventually I may put them all onto an MDF board... but I have a realm of battle table and a secret weapon table on the way which makes me more inclined to keep them separate. Besides, 'throw terrain' made from more bits of terrain is easier to pack into one box to take to a game. Especially when you're the only person with terrain amongst your friends...

I start a grey knight heavy log, and then waste a forum opportunity by not including in it my 666th post! Dash and blast!

Iraqiel

Last edited by Iraqiel; 11-26-13 at 03:42 PM.
post #29 of 378 (permalink) Old 11-26-13, 08:07 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Some people glue all the pieces together in a no scattered version, one guy won a gold at golden deamon for it years ago. Not as practical as you say though.
post #30 of 378 (permalink) Old 11-28-13, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Ok, keeping it simple so that I can game with this terrain this weekend... possibly tomorrow. Possibly after a work function. Possibly I don't want to do any immaculate detailing in case something unfortunate happens to them, as it has before happened to the odd mini knocked or dropped onto the floor. And stepped on (accidentally).

Still, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, for tabletop standard it was fairly quick to knock out.

Last night, still looking a bit shiny:

Fin:

Now, to basecoat those gaunts and prep next month's challenges. With the amount of drinking I've got to knuckle down and do this month, I'm not sure I'll be able to finish anything else this before December.

Iraqiel

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode