Iraqiel's menagerie - Project Log - Page 24 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #231 of 378 (permalink) Old 08-13-15, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Uni seeks to undo me with words...

No major progress lately, but thanks to a rather expensive visit to the UK I do have some new projects to start work on. I think I may be screwed for the monthly challenge though, these are big jobs!

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 378 (permalink) Old 08-13-15, 02:27 PM

Tha Tall One's Flag is: Netherlands

That indeed looks like a very expensive vacation!
Glad to see you bought that dragon, can't wait to see it painted by you!
post #233 of 378 (permalink) Old 08-14-15, 08:06 AM

DaisyDuke's Flag is: United Kingdom

The war hound will look sweet with your hoard of super heavies.

post #234 of 378 (permalink) Old 08-23-15, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Tall One View Post
That indeed looks like a very expensive vacation!
Glad to see you bought that dragon, can't wait to see it painted by you!
Sure was mate, I've been feeling it since I got back (but what's life for, right?).
I'm pretty excited about the dragon, but getting the Titan just inspired me and so the dragon shuffled back one or two spots whilst I crack the Warhound out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDuke View Post
The war hound will look sweet with your hoard of super heavies.
It should make things a bit more interesting - It's amazing how impotent Baneblades can be! All it takes is one wall of Kans and a round of combat and my tank army is 'Kan Opened'. The Mechanicus support element I'm doing should discourage that a little!

So, I've been remiss and posting most of my WIP shots on my facebook, though it was about time that I translate them across.

Day 1:And that is far more hours spent painting toes than I feel comfortable with...

Day two - showing some leg already! Chicken legs only, Armour will be tonight's project. Hips as well, time permitting. Nothing glued and no pistons cut until I have worked out the pose and balance.

Day three - life intervened so most of this done after 10 pm. Stupidly attempted the trim after the decoration while zombie level tired, some mess over the red side which will require fixing up before progressing the next step in that pattern. Overall slower than expected, but should be finished tonight.

Day four - saw Axis of Awesome last night, which was awesome, but meant that I didn't start painting again until after 10. Still, progressed to finish the hips and leg Armour, next will be the ground plate and the UppUpper Body pieces. Also undecided as to whether I want two of the plain shin Armour plates or one with the Aquilla.

Day five - if there is one reason that I won't finish this in August (if), that reason is Rome Total War. Never mind work, uni or wife, that game just absorbs my focus for ages... and means that I have to turn my attention to the other three. Anyway, some minor work done after an excellent IG versus Eldar Harlequins last night. Today will be tidying the messy trims and getting more detail and patterns done.

Day six, finished those bits, on to some smaller parts. Then weapons, then head, then assembly. Not yet decided about basing...

And that's it so far. Working on smaller upper body detail pieces right now, getting excited about doing the weapons!

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #235 of 378 (permalink) Old 08-23-15, 07:22 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
Day 1:And that is far more hours spent painting toes than I feel comfortable with...
I can relate - I recall spending 3 hours painting Bloodletter butts earlier in my 40k painting career. Not exactly the most fun I've ever had.

The titan looks very good so far - I look forward to seeing your progress on it :D I like the starfilled nightsky theme you got going.

Quote:
Day five - if there is one reason that I won't finish this in August (if), that reason is Rome Total War. Never mind work, uni or wife, that game just absorbs my focus for ages...
Again, I can relate - I've fallen into a Borderlands 2 frenzy here myself, so I'm progressing a little bit less on the Soulgrinders than I originally planned.
post #236 of 378 (permalink) Old 08-24-15, 12:06 AM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

Looking great so far, i gotta say, you’re smashing through this much faster than i ever could. I’m lucky if i can get a superheavy down in less than 6 months. To see this much progress in a week is inspiring.

Quote:
Day five - if there is one reason that I won't finish this in August (if), that reason is Rome Total War. Never mind work, uni or wife, that game just absorbs my focus for ages...

What do you think i was doing between March and July this year? My gamerscore went up nearly 6000 points.

post #237 of 378 (permalink) Old 08-24-15, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
I recall spending 3 hours painting Bloodletter butts earlier in my 40k painting career. Not exactly the most fun I've ever had.
On the positive side, surely there aren't too many hobbies where you get to claim these things with a straight face and self image intact.

Quote:
The titan looks very good so far - I look forward to seeing your progress on it :D I like the starfilled nightsky theme you got going.
Thanks!

Quote:
Again, I can relate - I've fallen into a Borderlands 2 frenzy here myself, so I'm progressing a little bit less on the Soulgrinders than I originally planned.
It's true that computer gaming takes time out from hobby, but I disagree with GW that computer games and hobby products like GW or Magic Cards are in the same market. Luckily for Australia, so did the Competition Commission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimzagGorwazza View Post
Looking great so far, i gotta say, you’re smashing through this much faster than i ever could. I’m lucky if i can get a superheavy down in less than 6 months. To see this much progress in a week is inspiring.
My pleasure to entertain you with it! It's actually awesome because I can really get a feeling of crescendo with this model - I think any bigger and I'd need to consider taking twice as long to finish any given piece of it, but at this side I can usually get through a piece a day (or a couple of days) and feel like continuity isn't broken. Having said that, the 'by end of August' deadline is definitely helping me stay on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimzagGorwazza View Post
What do you think i was doing between March and July this year? My gamerscore went up nearly 6000 points.
Brutal!

Day 7. Got some minor detailing and the shoulder pieces done much quicker than anticipated, which meant that I could move on to the weapons! Got them mostly done, just need some black wash over key parts and red to finish up the patterning on the twin turbo laser. Once that's done, on to the head!
I'm undecided though - should I go old school and paint it black and white like the old Armour cast models, or metal and bone with a gold trim?

Iraqiel

post #238 of 378 (permalink) Old 08-24-15, 05:57 PM
Jeepers

Loli's Flag is: United Kingdom

Like when you used it on the plane, the space scheme is looking even better on a larger but tighter/enclosed area and i like the split between the red and the space theme too. Nice plasma effect on the gun too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"Bubbles"....?

The Old World just became a fart in the bath.....
post #239 of 378 (permalink) Old 08-24-15, 10:36 PM
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

The split works very well on the 'hound plates. I can see any of those effects being overwhelming on their own. It also helps that you appear to have mastered the effect on the space pattern, it looks very convincing in the pictures. And don't be to down on yourself - you're working at an impressive pace!
post #240 of 378 (permalink) Old 08-25-15, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loli View Post
Like when you used it on the plane, the space scheme is looking even better on a larger but tighter/enclosed area and i like the split between the red and the space theme too. Nice plasma effect on the gun too.
Thanks mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobiotic View Post
The split works very well on the 'hound plates. I can see any of those effects being overwhelming on their own. It also helps that you appear to have mastered the effect on the space pattern, it looks very convincing in the pictures. And don't be to down on yourself - you're working at an impressive pace!
Cheers Xeno - though I'd say 'mastered' isn't quite the right way to put it, I've just made up for not being able to pull off your style with doing a more cluttered (stylised?) version of my own.

Well. After doing not much on day 8, day 9 has proven to me that I am an amateur modeller who should really have entrusted this to someone else whilst I did something constructive, like beat my head against a wall or the like.

Not dissatisfied with my painting, I did the head and crew up, including the Open Day Princeps who I picked up in July on my holiday.

However, happy that I'd done the legwork, I then decided to put the thing together whilst doing uni. I worked from the feet up, like a fool, and thought that visual references and quick pressure checks would be sufficient to have the legs constructed correctly.

Unfortunately and yet completely predictably, my haphazard leg arrangement has meant that the model is now off balance, with the damn thing pitching forward at any opportunity. This means that I'll have to base it with something sufficiently heavy also, and make sure the foot setting on the base is sufficiently sturdy. Amateurish display.

Then, I discovered that I had no 10mm drill bit. Not yet convinced of my stupidity, I did a quick test of the 5mm magnet to see how strong it was and decided to try and use one of those and a 10mm magnet to magnetise the arms. The 5mm is now irretrievably and ineffectually set into the armpiece, and since the indirect vector of the gun pulling down and away was too much for the magnetic hold, is superglued inside the joint. The turbolaser didn't set well, and has since required some removal and tidying before I re-glue it.

Basing wise, I'm thinking of using a base-weight from a busted desk lamp, foamboard and a thin MDF base to get a forge-world like look. Unsure whether to return to magnets to hold the feet to the base, since I'll need to get this model some 2000 miles south come December.

Still, the project 'as it stands' (he says, ironically):

Iraqiel

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode