Iraqiel's menagerie - Project Log - Page 21 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #201 of 378 (permalink) Old 01-30-15, 11:06 AM

Matcap's Flag is: Netherlands

Great stuff here especially the flyer! Do you reckon the GW tables are worth it? I've been looking into that sector imperialis table but not sure cost wise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 378 (permalink) Old 01-30-15, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
"Save up?" What is this "save up" of which you speak? Have you some ancient, ancestral knowledge of which we know not? Art thou truly the one of whom prophecy has spoken?

(all humor aside: nicely, crisply done flyer. I can't complain about the hand-done decals, them being about what I think I would be able to do myself. The Deathstrike missile ready to launch on the base is a particularly threatening addition, of which I approve.)
Ha, I happen to know Mossy that your painting skill is excellent, so I'm sure that you could do some brilliant stuff. I found the white background very unforgiving of mistakes, but I think I should have asked more advice from @The Son of Horus as to getting around that. I ended up simplifying the motifs a lot, which disappointed me a little. I'm glad you like the base, I had a lot of fun doing it!

The mats which are variously available are unfortunately not produced in Australia, meaning that I double the expense. I'm moving at the end of the year so I have to budget to grow my Guard, protect my Guard and look for these other side projects. Also, these mats tie into...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matcap View Post
Great stuff here especially the flyer! Do you reckon the GW tables are worth it? I've been looking into that sector imperialis table but not sure cost wise.
Tables! I won't pass comment on the GW tables being worth it or not - I think that they are or are not depending on one's taste. For me, I like the hilly board a bit, but I think that it's not worth the price tag. I got mine fairly cheaply, but I don't think the opportunity to do so will ever come again. I really like the Sector Imperialis board, and I want another two tiles of it to half grind away into a 'sunken city' effect. The board is very complex and requires a dice box to play on, but that's not a bad thing really.

The market really is expanding though, and mats such as those from Frontline Gaming dot something and their European counterpart look excellent. Other alternatives include other tile systems like the Secret Weapon Tabletops, which look excellent (I haven't painted mine up yet).

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966

Last edited by Iraqiel; 01-30-15 at 02:48 PM.
post #203 of 378 (permalink) Old 02-05-15, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

So, the work of 2 1/2 hours over a lecture this evening... or perhaps more like 3 hours given the damn internet keeping the lecture pausing all the time...

Before

After

Annoyingly, the flash knocked out all the depth from the third shot, but I couldn't get enough light otherwise... the lamp being otherwise employed by my lovely wife.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966

post #204 of 378 (permalink) Old 02-08-15, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Finished a 4x4 secret weapon miniatures table tonight. Theme is going to be 'Lustrian' but I've kept the table itself fairly clean so that I can just re-role it with terrain as required. The white crap on two of the boards was a 'pearl effect' paint that I ill-advisedly applied to give a swamp like appearance. It's being scraped off most of the board now unfortunately because it really didn't come out how I liked.

Pictures:

Now... how to make Aztec terrain?

Iraqiel

post #205 of 378 (permalink) Old 02-09-15, 02:55 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Make steep stepped pyramids using tiers of pink or blue rigid insulation foam?

the shapes don't seem all that involved.

Stack concentricly smaller squares/rectangles. Trim in from the edges to create the block's recesses, and wear away the edges and weather it down. I would also seal and texture the surface with artist's gesso.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #206 of 378 (permalink) Old 02-09-15, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
Stack concentricly smaller squares/rectangles. Trim in from the edges to create the block's recesses, and wear away the edges and weather it down. I would also seal and texture the surface with artist's gesso.
That's true. I was really thinking that I'd most prefer to have Aztec structures like this to do: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=A...F%3B1500%3B938

But I think you are right, the old stepped temple look may be the best bet. Two or three on a 4x4 foot table ought to keep things interesting.

Iraqiel

post #207 of 378 (permalink) Old 02-09-15, 08:58 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matcap View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
The market really is expanding though, and mats such as those from Frontline Gaming dot something and their European counterpart look excellent. Other alternatives include other tile systems like the Secret Weapon Tabletops, which look excellent (I haven't painted mine up yet).
Being the owner of the GW table "Battle of the realms" I can tell you that I would trade it for a Frontline Gaming mat in a heartbeat. The damn thing takes up way too much space and while the hill is nice, you still need as much terrain to make the board work as you do with a frontline mat. The texture and detail on the Frontline mats are way better and you don't have to paint it - You just roll it out and bam, you can place terrain.

In addition, the texture of the mat (which is similar to a mousepad) makes the models less likely to slip/tip/whatever, and it doesn't wear on your vehicles paintjob the same way a GW board does.

While I don't have many comments on your current board, as it's a bit too big scale for me, there is one thing I noticed; In some cases you let the moss and dirt reach the outer edges, which can limit you in how you set up the squares for a seamless look. I would recommend that you always have all the edges in the yellow brick theme, so that you can set up the board in any way you wish without it looking 'broken'.

Kudos for such a big paintjob though - I commend you on that one, as it can be daunting to even start!

Last edited by Nordicus; 02-09-15 at 09:00 AM.
post #208 of 378 (permalink) Old 02-09-15, 10:23 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Quote:
That's true. I was really thinking that I'd most prefer to have Aztec structures like this to do: Age of empires 2 Aztecs
Oh, Age of Empires II, how I love thee! How many hours I have dedicated to thee since the 90's.
Quote:
But I think you are right, the old stepped temple look may be the best bet. Two or three on a 4x4 foot table ought to keep things interesting.
I'm sure pyramids could be enough, but I don't see a reason why you couldn't do a village/cluster of houses or a market.

I think the main difference is whether or not you are going for ruins or a living city. And how historically accurate you really hope to stay.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

Last edited by Kreuger; 02-10-15 at 03:39 AM.
post #209 of 378 (permalink) Old 02-09-15, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
While I don't have many comments on your current board, as it's a bit too big scale for me, there is one thing I noticed; In some cases you let the moss and dirt reach the outer edges, which can limit you in how you set up the squares for a seamless look. I would recommend that you always have all the edges in the yellow brick theme, so that you can set up the board in any way you wish without it looking 'broken'.
It's very true, I thought of it not and so that disjointed look (irksome) is a symptom of painting a tile at a time in isolation as I revised uni podcasts. I think I shall revisit, but some of the tiles have dirt piles right up the the edge which makes it somewhat annoying to try and make the whole thing synergise. I'm planning to use enough leafy terrain and tile-based buildings to counteract the current broken effect... as well as lay it out differently at the event I'm rushing to do terrain for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
I'm sure pyramids could be enough, but I don't see a reason why you couldn't do a village/cluster of houses or a market.

I think the main difference is whether or not you are going for ruins or a living city. And how historically accurate you really hope to stay.
I initially thought I'd be accurate, but then remembered that I'm doing this for warhammer (I don't really feel attracted to doing 28mm historical aztecs) and threw it out the window. Otherwise, definitely ruins. I'm going to scatter some golden relics and the like about as well.

This is table 1 of 5 too, curses. Luckily, I will be getting some help from the local club to outlay terrain and tables - I have another Secret Weapon 4 x 4 to do (forest theme) and then I'm down to my standard brown and yellow plains Realm of Battle table which I'll be decorating in ruins that may look suspiciously similar to the old 40k corner ruins of yesteryear.

Unless anyone wants to lend me 300 pounds to spend here?
http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/4groun.../cat_3360.html

Iraqiel

post #210 of 378 (permalink) Old 02-16-15, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

No photos from today, but last night I took some progress shots of the cathedral I'm doing up for board 2 - a forested chapel grounds board. The terrain will be this cathedral, a garden of Morr from GW, and a groundskeeper's cottage from 4grounds, with as many woodland scenic and similar trees around as I can get my hands on.

Anyway, the Chapel of Sigmar's Light in the Dark Fastness, about half done:

Iraqiel

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode