A project log - CSM - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-01-13, 09:29 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami View Post
Do you have any experience as to which mark is the "best"?
The favored mark (by far) is currently the Mark of Nurgle, which gives +1 toughness. It's a foolproof mark that gives you a little advantage over basically all armies and setups you meet out there.

That's not to say the others are bad though. I am unaware of how much you know of the gamerules at this stage as you haven't played the game yet - Have you studied the gamerules and your codex, as in you units capabilities?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-01-13, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Miami's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
The favored mark (by far) is currently the Mark of Nurgle, which gives +1 toughness. It's a foolproof mark that gives you a little advantage over basically all armies and setups you meet out there.

That's not to say the others are bad though. I am unaware of how much you know of the gamerules at this stage as you haven't played the game yet - Have you studied the gamerules and your codex, as in you units capabilities?
Thanks, I'll keep MoN in mind ;)

I've read through the rulebook once, and I played the game some 10 years ago so I know the general flow of a game. I know there's been rule changes and all that but I grasp the general concept well.

I've read up on the codex as well, at least all the fluffy stuff. I haven't had a chance to sit down and delve into the unit stats and wargear options etc. yet.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-01-13, 09:49 AM
Herald of The Warp

Allright, do let us know if you have anything you need to know. But that's a topic for another thread :D

In terms of the painting I would advise against painting them to suit a specific mark, specially when playing Black Legion. Black Legion is a all-rounder in terms of both fluff and playstyle, so it will probably hinder you more than anything to paint them to suit a specific mark. It would suck to paint them to fit MoN and then finding out htat you enjoy Slaanesh more for example.

Again, keep up the good work - Can't wait to see the forgefiend!

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-01-13, 01:00 PM

Saintspirit's Flag is: Sweden

Oh, sorry. That termie looked like a lord, with that head.

I frankly finds all the marks quite useful in various ways; for example, the mark of tzeentch can be interesting mainly on terminators since it gives them a 4+ invo. I personally use the MoK most often, though, since I like to be pretty agressive with my units and I also finds the Icon of Wrath really useful. I also like to paint red.

My Word Bearers Project
My Tutorials - part 1: Word Bearer
My Tutorials - part 2: Word Bearer Cultist
My Tutorials - part 3: Plaguebearer
My Tutorials - part 4: Plague Marine
Quote:
To make a model into a piece of art, you need to find a model that you like, and a painting scheme that you love.
Quote:
"They are fierce indeed these Kor, and savage. I look upon them and tremble at their ferocity. I can only hope that when the enemy sees them they tremble as I do."
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-02-13, 09:14 AM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami View Post
it’s just tedious and time consuming having to apply 3-4 layers to get a good finish…
Amen for that, man. But the results are really good, don't you think? I've found that with some more "bitchy" colours like pink, yellow and white you can do good with just 2 layers, but you should need some practice in finding out the right amount of watering down.

I think the cultists are very good as they are. The purple skin tone make them very "mutant-scum-ish" I like that

About the marks and the general uses of chaos units i'll point out Mossy Toes tactica:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=121542
It is pure gold.

The first model: eh, you were daring indeed, starting with white models! I've stripped and repainted my first two models sadly.

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-04-13, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

So a quick update!

My Lord is well under way. ”Unfortunately” I had some visitors this weekend which hindered my painting. But I was able to sit down on Sunday for a good 5-6 hours at least. I managed to snap some photos of my progress after (almost) every step.

I’ve practiced doing multiple thin layers on this model. The results are smooth and nice, but it takes sooo much time! And getting good results on black armor is hard…

A quick question to anyone reading: how do you transfer paints from the pots to your palette? I just load up a brush with paint and transfer it a couple times, then dip it in water and mix the water with the paint. Is there a better way to transfer and thin your paints?

Chaos Lord step-by-almost-step

1. Eshin Grey + Lahmium Medium, painting top 2/3 of black armor
2. Dawnstone + Lahmium Medium, painting top ½ of black armor
3. Administratum Grey + Lahmium medium, painting top ¼ of black armor
4. Doombull Brown on the cloth parts

5. I skip a few steps here, because I forgot to take pictures. Anyways I’ve painted the Bolter with Warplock Bronze. Then I washed the black armor, Warplock Bronze and Doombull Brown parts with Nuln Oil. I then painted Leadbelcher on to the parts I want to be metal, and then washed them with Agrax Earthshade.
6. Brass Scorpion was painted on to armor trims etc
7. Brass Scorpion is washed with Warplock Bronze mixed with Lahmium Medium. This tones down the shininess a lot and gives the armor a very ancient look to it. However I think in the future I may want it just a little bit brighter, and I believe I might be able to achieve that effect by using more Lahmium Medium in this shade. I used 1:1 here; I think 1:2 or maybe even 1:3 will make it look better.

So yeah, I’ll be continuing on this guy when I get home.

Anyone have any tips/ideas for how I should paint the fur on his cloak? I’m not even sure what color I want yet, grey or brown? Or try something more drastic to make the model stick out?! Oh and I haven’t painted the claws on the power fist yet. Not sure if I want them metal or have a similar effect to the axe of the other Terminator. Any suggestions there?

Miami out.
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-04-13, 09:07 AM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Neat and precise work. Very good! The fur could be white to give the model a point of light. Other colours from grey, white or brown might seem too garish. he's not a slaanesh lord, after all ;)
About the claws: the "axe effect" would be very good. you can use those as a way to give some colour contrast to the lord.
About paint transferring and thinning: it's the way i do it. You can better control the quantity of colour and water, that way.
Keep it comin'!

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-04-13, 09:28 AM
Herald of The Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferhet View Post
Other colours from grey, white or brown might seem too garish. he's not a slaanesh lord, after all ;)
I would actually argue that a grey fur would look ace with that color theme. Something along the lines of a cape that he took from a slain Spacewolf Champion or the like - I did so on my Lord and it looks ace with the dark red cape

Similarly, I also do the way you described in terms of transfering and thinning. There are alot of ways to do it, and I think nearly every player has their own way to do it
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-06-13, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Update again!

Progress is slow; I have only had one or two hours the past evenings to paint. I’ve managed to do all the highlighting of the armor trims and metal parts of his armor. I haven’t however gotten around to doing the spikes on his back, those will probably be done last.

So what I plan on doing until my next update is paint the red cloth, the “claws” on the PF and the fur. I think I’m going to go with grey fur. I’m thinking of basing with Eshin Grey, then Nuln Oil wash. Then a heavy drybrush of Dawnstone Grey, then a light drybrush with Administratum Grey. Then doing extreme highlights with either Russ Grey (for a blue-ish tone) or a white (for a more white-ish tone, duh). Any thoughts on how that would look?

Anyway, here are some photos of the latest progress. The first picture is after highlights with Runelord Brass on the Scorpion Brass trims, and the second picture is after the highlights with Runefang Steel on the metal parts and armor trims.

Miami out.
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-06-13, 09:53 AM

Saintspirit's Flag is: Sweden

I think it is looking good so far, the metal highlighting in particular. While I am not very fond of what head you have chosen for him, I believe that is more of a quite personal view.

My Word Bearers Project
My Tutorials - part 1: Word Bearer
My Tutorials - part 2: Word Bearer Cultist
My Tutorials - part 3: Plaguebearer
My Tutorials - part 4: Plague Marine
Quote:
To make a model into a piece of art, you need to find a model that you like, and a painting scheme that you love.
Quote:
"They are fierce indeed these Kor, and savage. I look upon them and tremble at their ferocity. I can only hope that when the enemy sees them they tremble as I do."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Tags
black legion , chaos space marines , csm , plog , project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode