This will be my thread preparing for next years army on parade, I'm hoping it will spurn me on and provide further ideas for my entry.
Recently I have been brainstorming ideas and I'd whittled it down to two. These were a Tyranid hunting Dark Eldar Force and a Frateris Militia force allied with Sisters of Battle. I went through the key points in my head, both pros and cons and this is what I came up with.
- Plenty of options for conversions
- Unique idea
- Chance to own an Alien Force
- Can't imagine how they'd truly look
- Not sure on painting them
- Apphrensive of buying a force I have no idea about
- Can't picture the board it would be presented on
- May cost a lot for something I can't use for anything else
- Oppertunity for a lot of conversions
- Oppertunity for models to tie in with mini inquisitor style expansion game
- I can imagine how I'd converted them, out of plastic Empire Flagellants
- If the idea falls through I can still use the models for something else, such as my Empire army
- May get to use my Forgeworld Arbiter as a stand in for a commissar
- Get to use Sisters of Battle models that I've always liked, but can now use them in small number
- Have a good idea of what I want the board to look like
- May cost a lot, especially in regards to scenery and sisters of battle models
- May end up looking a little bland or done before look
- Army is another human army and it's tactics are familiar to me already, although this may be a pro.
- Significant amount of pieces from two sets to complete a unit
So, after all that I've decided to go with the Frateris Militia + Adeptus Sororitas allied force. The Frateris should look disheveled, which is why I'm going with Empire Flagellants, but armed with lasguns, since I'll be using the Imperial Guard codex to represent them.
The Sisters can only be the metal ones, but colour scheme wise, I'm thinking of using the purple, gold and white that forgeworld have used to paint the pre-heresy Emperor's Children, I like the contrast between the purple shade they used and the white shoulder pads with gold trim.
For the board I was thinking of them defending either an Imperial Sanctum or Shrine, both are available from GW. i'm leaning towards the shrine but the sanctum may be cool with saint celestine on the balcony and it has three sides.
The building will be defended by a wall of martyrs emplacement, with two wall of martyrs defence line either side.
The board itself will be split between a grey tiled courtward in the centre surrounded by the wall of martyr, with several craters dotted about and outside the wall of martyr there will be rubble, stoney terrain with craters as well. I wasn't sure whether to have a big statue in the centre of the court yard as it may take away the focus from my actual army, but if needs be I could add some statues and additional battlefield accessories.
This is the first plan I've drawn using paint for a general idea of how it would look.
So that's as far as I'm up to, what do you think?