Death Guard & The Angels of Ecstasy: A story of filth and debauchery - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-13, 12:36 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittsy View Post

The champion with the shotgun is named Duke (like Duke Nukem) muhahaha.
NICE

Those cultists look fantastic, when i finally paint my DV chaos i hope they look this good.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-13, 02:51 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Hey there, I think the cultists are looking good. I like the color contrast between the green of the clothes and the warm flesh tones. Which is somewhat atypical, many nurgle devotees go for a pale or pallid skin tone.

The dreadnought er helbrute has some good and some bad things going on. I like the skeleton dangling from the chains. That was a nice touch.

First a few simple things. I'm still seeing mold lines and join lines between the pieces. Those will always detract from the model no matter how well painted it is. They might even take away more from a well painted model.

The dirty bone color is far more successful than the green, and has a really nice gradation texture. The green is more flat, and the highlighting isn't as consistent which leads it to look more plastic.

I'm not sure that the frag launchers are really adding anything.

The metal trim is mostly looking really nice, especially with the bone areas. Again it isn't as good with the green. It looks like there is some additional texture in the metal trim around the face, either from heavy handed dry brushing, bad spray primer, dust in the primer, or it might be a jpg artefact. It's hard to tell which.

Also the sections of ribbed tubing could use another wash (argrax nightshade) and another bone highlight.

I would also encourage you to pick out the studs in a different metallic color. I think a mostly desaturated color like scorpion brass might work.

I think the problem with the green is the highlight. The highlights are flat and are too big a jump from the base color.

I hope that's helpful!
And keep up the good work!

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-13, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

whittsy's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
I'm still seeing mold lines and join lines between the pieces.
Thanks for the feed back Kreuger! I'll give you the reason why you still see "mold lines", because they aren't... exectly... You see, I did scrape away the lines, then glued it all together with superglue and.... saw the Hellbrutes face sitting there on the desk, so i had to surgically pry it apart (i used a scalpel) and put his face in and glues him back together, I did my best to cover the lines up but it wasn't a very good job!

Quote:
I'm not sure that the frag launchers are really adding anything.
Just some smoke launchers for something different.

Quote:
The metal trim is mostly looking really nice, especially with the bone areas. Again it isn't as good with the green. It looks like there is some additional texture in the metal trim around the face, either from heavy handed dry brushing, bad spray primer, dust in the primer, or it might be a jpg artefact. It's hard to tell which.
probably one of the parts they add in the agrax earthshade, as there is about 4 - 5 coasts of it on this particular model!

As for the highlighting, I'm trying to do "low lights", I dont particularly want bright vibrant colours on this Death Guard army, going for the dull rotten look. I could go over it with Nurgling Green as opposed to Elysian Green.

The true nature of Chaos is beyond any comprehension. No mere mortal can ever hope to understand these matters, and the wise do not puzzle too deeply over Chaos Gods, or try to fathom their wars, rivalries and bickerings.

Deathguard PLOG: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129438

post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-13, 04:16 AM

Hey, I'm glad it's helpful. I Definitely wasn't suggestion "high" highlights on the green. I think the green highlights ares too flat and bright as it is. The flatness contributes a blotchy look, but not in a nice diseased way.

You might want to consider some stippling on the green to give it a little more texture, maybe even some streaky washes of browns, blacks, greens, or dull reds oozing from the holes, the folds , and the cables.

I took another look and done of the trim around the head is still green and could be tightened up.

I think the other conceptual issue I'm having, is that the green being as flat as it is is throwing me because it's also the "fleshy" part if the model which might otherwise have more texture and variation.

"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:

Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-13, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Here is one of the Lords of the Death Guard. Lord Eliphas, the Inheritor!

lord together.PNG

lord back.PNG

boasting a golden trim and a murder sword.

cape.jpg

and a dead bear or something
Attached Images
File Type: png eliphas closeee.PNG (382.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: png Eliphas back.PNG (486.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: png Eliphas.PNG (481.2 KB, 16 views)

The true nature of Chaos is beyond any comprehension. No mere mortal can ever hope to understand these matters, and the wise do not puzzle too deeply over Chaos Gods, or try to fathom their wars, rivalries and bickerings.

post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-13, 02:28 PM
The Blighted's Flag is: USA

the cultist look awesome as does the lord but i feel as if the bronze on the lord needs to look a bit more weathered or rusted it just seems to clean for nurgle

Gradfather Nurgle Will Embrace Us All
My WIP thread https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=127031
post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-13, 02:33 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

That lord looks fantastic. The cloak is very nice. +rep.
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-16-13, 03:17 PM

Well, bronze doesn't really "rust" like iron but it does oxidize and form a dark patina and develop verdigris.

You might be able to do some of that with dirty washes and some speckling with warp lock bronze (which is basically the color of tarnished bronze).

Add to that some light-dry dabs of light blue-turquoise-white and you'll have done mangy looking bronze.

P.s. I think the Lord is looking really good. He does have a few spots where he isn't as dirty as elsewhere, and a few spots where the washes dried unevenly, but otherwise he's solid.

Quote:

post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-17-13, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blighted View Post
i feel as if the bronze
Quote:
bronze doesn't really "rust" like iron but it does oxidize and form a dark patina and develop verdigris
Its gold trim, gold doesn't rust . As for the bits that are "cleaner" than most, I am to assume you mean the green "cloth" with the face in it? I didn't want to over do it as I kinda fluked the effect of part of his armour being alive.

post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-17-13, 02:15 AM

Gotcha. The gold looks fairly reddish in the photos so I would have bought that it was good old dwarf bronze or beaten copper.

I actually meant the green parts of the hands which don't look like they got a good washing yet. And the green interleaving plate between the upper arm and the shoulder pauldron.
And the green bits peaking out between the trim on the inside of the left arm and the regular arm armor plates.

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode