All things Chaos: Nordicus's Chaos project log - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 922 (permalink) Old 09-27-13, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Default All things Chaos: Nordicus's Chaos project log

Right, time to jump into this whole project log business.

Introduction

I love Chaos. Simple as that. I think that both the Chaos Daemons and Chaos Space Marines are awesome armies, with great variety and some very awesome looking models. They were my first choice and my last - I've never regretted it, never reconsidered and never looked anywhere else.

Seeing as my armies are reaching some decent sizes, I thought it would be time to start a project log. So here goes.

This project log is for both of my armies. Every time I start a new model I will upload my progress in this thread going forward. I hope you will enjoy this log and I welcome any feedback, tips, salutations and hugs.

Armies

The painted models so far can also be seen at these 2 army pages:

Chaos Space Marines:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=833

These are primarily painted in the Black Legion style. I've always liked this theme and the fluff behind the Black Legion. I do take my liberties at certain places (specifically the gold/silver ratio on the armor) and on models such as the Plague marines, but overall I stick to the theme for now.

This army is at roughly 2.500 points so far.

Chaos Daemons:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...=861&like=like

For now it's primarily Khorne. I really enjoy the speed and general carnage the Khornates can produce and so far they have been working great! I'm slowly but steadily moving into the Tzeentch department now however, but will only display the finished painted models in this army list. After this, I'm not sure which god to choose - We shall see!

This army is also at roughly 2.500 points so far.

Picture examples

For some examples of my work so far, here are a few to start off with. The rest of the painted models as of today can be found in either log, along with the amount of models that are in each army:

Chaos Daemons:
Soulgrinder

Skulltaker

Bloodthirster

Chaos Space Marines:
Chaos Lord

Obliterators

Chaos Space Marines

Last edited by Nordicus; 09-27-13 at 11:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 922 (permalink) Old 09-27-13, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Right, now that the project log has been established, let's get on to the first model that I'm currently working on; A daemon prince of Tzeentch. That's right, the very first Tzeentch unit!

This is my first model with a blue theme, so it's very much a experiment for me - I use the techniques from the previous models, but are trying out what colors to use for the theme overall.

So far I have it primed, 1 layer of wash and the first highlight. Currently it looks like this:

I am missing 1-2 highlights yet, but so far I'm liking the hue of the blue.

I'm currently contemplating what the metal parts should be (on his arms, legs, etc.) but I'm thinking gold as it is Tzeentch. The cloth will probably be a shade of white.

When the final highlights on the skin is done, I will post another update.
post #3 of 922 (permalink) Old 09-27-13, 06:53 PM

Ddraig Cymry's Flag is: USA

Looking good so far. Doing anything interesting with him?

post #4 of 922 (permalink) Old 09-27-13, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddraig Cymry View Post
Looking good so far. Doing anything interesting with him?
Well depends what you define by interesting - He's very much a experiment in the blue theme for me in addition to white cloth, which I haven't done either. However, I am contemplating how to do the sword to make it look more magical.

Also considering doing something about the star in his chest - Either burned or red or something - Making it look like it's a fresh wound.

Alot of thoughts - Not sure which to choose from!
post #5 of 922 (permalink) Old 09-27-13, 07:28 PM

VanAlberict's Flag is: USA

Go with a contrast color. Everything else is going to tie in well the contrast being on the weapon and the chest star (maybe even the body runes) would make it pop really well. Orange/yellow comes to mind but to really keep the tzench going pink/red/purple would work too

~- Van
post #6 of 922 (permalink) Old 09-27-13, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanAlberict View Post
Go with a contrast color
Not a bad idea - The sword could be dark red fading to black or the like. I will make sure to post a screen tomorrow, if I get to that part!
post #7 of 922 (permalink) Old 09-27-13, 10:59 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Nice work on the DP, not a huge fan of the model for 40k, much prefer the old one but the blue is a great start. Have you thought about maybe yellow for the chest color or would that clash with the gold?
post #8 of 922 (permalink) Old 09-28-13, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
Nice work on the DP, not a huge fan of the model for 40k, much prefer the old one but the blue is a great start
Thanks!

I think I will do the wound as the very last bit, as I'm still in doubt as to whether should do it or not.

For now I have finished the flesh highlighting and gave it a blue glaze. The result is quite good and I'm happy with it!

I decided to mix a gold for the "runes" on his arms and legs, as I will be going gold and white cloth theme for him. Thinking both of the Lord of Change and The Thousand Sons, it looked to be a obvious choice for now.

However, I am not a fan of the current gold range from GW so I made a 33/33/33 mix of Hashnut Copper, Warplock Bronze and Auric Armor gold. This gives the old shiny gold that I also use on my Space Marines.

Today I will finish the rest of the armor (most likely the same gold. I did the parts yesterday and then went to sleep to see if I still liked it when I woke up.) and maybe the teeth and bones as well.

Last edited by Nordicus; 09-28-13 at 10:23 AM.
post #9 of 922 (permalink) Old 09-29-13, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Quick update:

I decided to go along with the gold part and got it all painted up. The belt is black metal (similar to a anvil) and the bones on his body will be done with a grey variant, shaded with blue. Missing the highlights on the bones at this point, as he's drying.

Oh and now he's got eyes and teeth!

Next update will most likely be when he's done. My biggest question is what color to do the wings in. I'm thinking grey as well, but not entirely sure.

Any and all input are, as usual, welcome.

Last edited by Nordicus; 09-29-13 at 01:58 PM.
post #10 of 922 (permalink) Old 09-29-13, 04:19 PM

Ddraig Cymry's Flag is: USA

Looking good! The blue looks really nice on him! Fleshing out the details really helped make it look a lot better.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Tags
40k , chaos daemons , chaos space marines , painting , word bearers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in