Thanks all! It's always fun to participate against Golden Daemon winners. I beat a few of them, but the level was simply too high for me - Besides, I paint too dark for it to really matter. The winners are usually the over-the-top cartoony style painters, and while I applaud their skill, it's simply not my taste.
I'm not sure if I will be participating next year, as I don't want to paint my models a certain way to win competitions. I'll have to think about it.
So two topics today; Yearly challenge and progress on my Marines.
The yearly painting challenge
is over, and I completed it. As last year, I got inspired by one of the other members here (/highfive
) and had a look at what I have completed since June of 2014. The result... was a bit more than anticipated:
That's right - I started my reboot of my Marines in the July '14 challenge, which was the 2nd month of this years challenge. Honestly if you had asked me before, I would have said that I had started before, but I backtracked and found the thread; I started out with the lord and the chosen from the Dark Vengeance pack that over the far right on the photo.
Combined with the fact that I just rebased the entire army, I can safely say that this year has been... quite productive.
Mostly this past months challenge, as I have been focusing on my Marines. The result is still quite good, especially compared to the above.
Secondly, I got some more work in on my upcoming Chaos Space Marines.
Taking in all the feedback, I have changed the backpacks on them and finished magnetising the bolters, flamers, plasma guns and melta guns.
I ran out of shoulder pads after that, so I am waiting for 60 of them to arrive, so I can finish the close combat arms, heavy bolters and various special weapons such as power swords and power fists.
The result is this:
I had a spare Juggerlord head lying around from when I assembled him, so I put it on one of them, to be a Aspiring Champion. Beyond that, you guys were totally right; The standard backpacks looks MUCH better on them.
The magnetising took a bit longer than expected but went without any trouble at all. You can see some spare weapon layouts lying in front of them on the top picture, and they slide on every model easily.
All in all, I really like the models so far. Now I can relax a bit, before I head on over to the painting part of the project, while I wait for the shoulder pads. I will do them all in 2 batches; One now and the second batch will be purely arms and layouts. It's time to get some paint on these fellas!