All things Chaos: Nordicus's Chaos project log - Page 39 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #381 of 923 (permalink) Old 03-08-15, 02:46 PM
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

Awesome plasticard work there on the Rhinos. It looks like you used multiple layers of the stuff? If you wouldn't mind a short tutorial (text is fine), I'd love to copy you . At least in method.

SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #382 of 923 (permalink) Old 03-08-15, 03:34 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

@venomlust that's the dark works kit he was talking about. Take a look at what they offer .

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

Last edited by Kreuger; 03-16-15 at 10:38 AM.
post #383 of 923 (permalink) Old 03-08-15, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
@venomlust that's the dark works kit be was talking about. Take a look at what they offer .
Precisely - A bit of warning though; They do not come with any instructions as to how to apply them, so you will need to take a close look at the images on the shop and the bits you get, to figure out how to put it together.

post #384 of 923 (permalink) Old 03-08-15, 05:32 PM
JUGGERNUT

Aaaah, ok!

I think I'll make my own, likely far lower quality version. For $18 I can almost buy a used Rhino .

But damn, do they look good!

post #385 of 923 (permalink) Old 03-08-15, 05:34 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Well, just looked through the plog, and wow totally awesome work, having seen seen your work in the painting competition, I thought about time I checked your plog. Think my favorite mini is the Khorne Slaughterer, out of all the great work and the bikers second! Rep of course

post #386 of 923 (permalink) Old 03-08-15, 06:43 PM

Subtle Discord's Flag is: Canada

Default Well, what do we have here?

Aw wow, you just made my day after a long week of design hell. (The final stretch of 2nd term has been a trail sent by the Dark Gods, I swear it) I'm always energized when I get to see my humble kits on another hobbyists bench, especially when it's unexpected. I can't wait to see these progress further.

Venomlust, my early work with my kits was all done by hand cutting the layers of plastic, so I am proof positive that it can be done. If you have a look at the first Legion Rising WIP thread over at B&C, how I make Rivets is on page 7, and I have an article on how I build on page 14. You can also find templates for the first three Rhino trims kits I designed several years ago, available for public use on page 3. That thread is the oldest record of my hobby exploits mutating into my tiny studio over the years; all of my Legion Rising threads are clones of each other, but the B&C thread goes the furthest back and has some extra content if you're interested.

Thanks again for the sneak peak, Nordicus. Much more to come from me starting in late-April when classes wrap up for the year. New equipment and a much deeper understanding of SolidWorks has me eager to get back at my studio work. So... many... great... ideas!

Edit P.S.: Keep track of how many hours you spend working on personal trims cut by hand, (and add lots more if you plan to make your own personal design) and consider again if $18 CAD is so steep; the trim kits in particular are very challenging (laborious) to cast, let alone fabricate the prototypes. If you have the time and ability, all the power to you for doing it yourself; this hobby is a labour of love on so many levels, and sometimes you just have to do it yourself to do it right, and I admire that deeply. That said, I am working hard on improving my process and production volume in an effort to lower my prices further. Please note, there is no hostility meant in this statement, but sometimes people underestimate just how tricky these simple looking kits are to produce.

"The old galaxy is dying, and the new galaxy struggles to be born; now is the time of monsters."

Last edited by Subtle Discord; 03-08-15 at 07:29 PM. Reason: To add a P.S.
post #387 of 923 (permalink) Old 03-08-15, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomlust View Post
But damn, do they look good!
That they do! I can't wait to see them in full painted action!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
Well, just looked through the plog, and wow totally awesome work, having seen seen your work in the painting competition, I thought about time I checked your plog. Think my favorite mini is the Khorne Slaughterer, out of all the great work and the bikers second!
Thanks a lot man, that means heaps coming from you. I'm really glad you liked the bikes - The Decimator (I'm guessing you are meaning this one, as I don't own a Khorne Slaughterer) is also one of my favorite models. The menacing look on that thing is just.. nasty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtle Discord View Post
Thanks again for the sneak peak, Nordicus. Much more to come from me starting in late-April when classes wrap up for the year. New equipment and a much deeper understanding of SolidWorks has me eager to get back at my studio work. So... many... great... ideas!
It's my pleasure man - I will be sure to tag you when they're done, so you can see your work in pace with other ideas. Oh and if you need any test-bunnies for future kits; Just let me know and I will gladly help you out. Stay awesome!
post #388 of 923 (permalink) Old 03-08-15, 07:25 PM
JUGGERNUT

Wow! I had seen that thread years ago and immediately thought of it when I saw the details on Nordicus's tanks. Thanks very much, that info is going to prove invaluable. Not sure I'll try to cast what I make, though I do have the materials to try. Don't wanna derail the plog further, so thanks to everyone for the info!

post #389 of 923 (permalink) Old 03-08-15, 08:18 PM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Those Kits look amazing. Simply fucking amazing. and considering that it you who's going to be painting them up Nord i'm close to peeing myself with anticipation. I might just have to try my hand at making some of my own armor for my vehicles as seeing what can be produced with plasticard is just amazing. Between SD and BA these guys are on a whole other level of scratchbuilding.

Cant wait to see those rhinos painted. I tried to get some work done on my storm raven this weekend but it rained for a good damned portion of it. Still managed to get the primer on though

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #390 of 923 (permalink) Old 03-16-15, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeMarine View Post
Simply fucking amazing. and considering that it you who's going to be painting them up Nord i'm close to peeing myself with anticipation.
Thanks a lot man - I hope you will like the final result when I get there!

So I made some progress this weekend. I absolutely love these kits but man do they make the models that much time consuming to paint. I've primed them, airbrushed the reds and have started the most difficult part of any Chaos Marine model: The trims.

The base bronze is done on all the models now (took this picture while I was working) and I will do the trim shades and highlights during the next couple of evenings. After that, it's onward to the metals.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Tags
40k , chaos daemons , chaos space marines , painting , word bearers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode