All things Chaos: Nordicus's Chaos project log - Page 31 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #301 of 923 (permalink) Old 12-22-14, 08:20 AM

DaisyDuke's Flag is: United Kingdom

Sounds good mate
Those puppets war bikes will look good with death guard riders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 923 (permalink) Old 12-28-14, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

So it's time to start up again, now that the Christmas lunches and package bonanze is over with. I've had a nice time seeing all the famile on both sides, but by now I just really need to relax a bit - Preferably with my little plastic and resin models.

Before I get started though, I'm pretty psyched that I got my first Horus Heresy model; Calas Typhon!

I freakkin' love this model - It's so much better than the GW equivalent, and I will definitely be painting this guy up in the coming months. I will wait a bit though, as I don't have any cultists and/or zombies, and without those, he's pretty much not going to see the table.

Meanwhile I had my bikes to look at. I got started with drilling holes in the sides, so I could magnetize the weapons on the bikes. The MKIV bikes that I'm using comes with boltguns and plasmaguns per standard, so I had two weapons to look at for now, while I'm ordering the flamers and meltas home. I found a nice spot just between the tire and the armor where the magnet could sit without much drilling, and it worked perfectly:

And then, after having drilled the whole in all 40 weapons (10 bikes x 2 weapons x 2 sides) and both sides on all 10 bikes, I found out that I didn't have nearly enough magnets. In fact, I'm about 40 magnets short. So now, I have to wait for my new order of magnets to ship before I can continue. This is after 6 of the 10 bikes needs to have 1 arm magnetized and the remaining 4 riders needs to have both arms magnetized as well. Shucks.

So, to kill some time, I'm painting up the 25 cultists I have laying around: 20 from the Dark Vengeance set and 5 extra that I got along with the Typhus model:

These are my bad conscience as well, as they have been lying in a drawer ever since I started the hobby. The Dark Vengeance set was my first ever 40k purchase, so it's about time they got painted up.

Last edited by Nordicus; 12-28-14 at 06:25 PM.
post #303 of 923 (permalink) Old 12-29-14, 10:36 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
These are my bad conscience as well, as they have been lying in a drawer ever since I started the hobby. The Dark Vengeance set was my first ever 40k purchase, so it's about time they got painted up.
Cleaning those skele.... *ahem* cultists out of the closet then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."

post #304 of 923 (permalink) Old 01-03-15, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
Cleaning those skele.... *ahem* cultists out of the closet then?
Oh yes - They were bugging me!

So the cultists got done and I will take some nice photos in the morning. I wanted them done for today as I had my first match of 2015.

The setup was a special Maelstrom of War mission, of 1500 points. The special rule was that, beyond HQ and troops, only 1 FOC slot was permitted. I chose the Elite slot and the setup was this:

That's right, the 25 cultists are in the list. Beyond that there is a lord (Blade of the relentless, mark of slaanesh, melta bombs, sigil, horns, prophet of the voices, demonheart), 10 noise marines with 2 blastmasters and Icon of Excess, 10 Possessed with mark of slaanesh and Icon of Excess, 1 Decimator with Siege claws and 3 Helbrutes with plasma cannons and powerfist w/ heavyflamer in a formation.

I was against Orks whcih consisted of 1 warboss in megaarmor and lucky stikk, 24 boys, 1 painboy, 2 times 12 boys in 'eavy armor in trukks, 1 Gorkanaut, 1 Mega-dredd, 10 lootahs and 1 big mek with shokk attack gun.

It was a fun fight and I ended up nearly tabling the guy. At the end of turn 5 he had one trukk running around and thus gave up the match as he was behind with 6 points.

Now - Time to get that Typhus model primed!

Last edited by Nordicus; 01-03-15 at 09:47 PM.
post #305 of 923 (permalink) Old 01-05-15, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Right, I had a right paintfit yesterday - This Typhon Calas model is awesome to work on. It's a delight to have just one model to work on, as I usually paint in bulks. I always paint a full unit or more, so once I have them ready, I can use them in several ways.

As I haven't received my magnets yet to finalize my bikes, I got to work on Typhus as I also submitted him for this months painting deathmatch. As previously mentioned I am painting him in a post-heresy theme, as I like the model A LOT more than the 40k equivalent and with the right paint theme, I can easily see him as the Nurgle Champion that he is.

My progress is this:

I am trying some new techniques for the armor, as I want him to be a bit more realistic than I usually do. A grim and dark theme, that looks dirty. That means no light highlights, but having the Deathworld Green be the lightest of the greens. I was a challenge but I really like the dark and gritty appearance it gives him. Combined with the new way to do the bronze, which is a bit more cold than I usually do, I think it's starting to fit well together.

Next up is the rust and iron.

Feedback is, as always, welcome!

Last edited by Nordicus; 01-05-15 at 11:59 AM.
post #306 of 923 (permalink) Old 01-05-15, 02:24 PM

DaisyDuke's Flag is: United Kingdom

post #307 of 923 (permalink) Old 01-05-15, 03:37 PM

Fremragende! (sp?)

Quote:
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
post #308 of 923 (permalink) Old 01-05-15, 10:45 PM

LokiDeathclaw's Flag is: United Kingdom

I love this model! I am so tempted to buy it! Must.....resist......urge....to....buy....more plastic crack! Paintjob looking good can't wait to see it finished!

Loki Deathclaw's Great Company-https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=126454

High Elves Plog- Caledor Warhost-https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=154490
post #309 of 923 (permalink) Old 01-06-15, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
Fremragende! (sp?)
Ha! Excellent :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiDeathclaw View Post
I love this model! I am so tempted to buy it! Must.....resist......urge....to....buy....more plastic crack! Paintjob looking good can't wait to see it finished!
You and me both man - It is simply made of awesome, so I didn't have the guts to modify it. Besides, I think it works fine unaltered in both pre- and post-Heresy.

So a thought hit me yesterday as I had like an hour to paint. The original Typhus model was actually one of the first models I ever painted. I remember getting it recommended by the local GW store, so I took their workd for it and bought it. I think it was model number 5 of the like that I ever laid a brush on.

So I did a comparison shot. Granted the new model is not done yet, but the comparison is still fun to look at:

It's not often you get a direct way of comparing your skills today to your skills 2 years ago. I guess it's like trying to gain muscle or loose weight, where if you look in the mirror every day you don't spot the difference - But take a photo after 3 weeks and compare, and you can see it clear as day.

Anyway, just wanted to share my thoughts on the matter. A strange feeling of nostalgia hit me when I took this picture and I realized how much I have learned over the past 2 years. Almost all of it I can contribute to the painting competitions and monthly challenges here on this very site, so I wanted to say thank you to you all. @Tawa , @SwedeMarine , @Deus Mortis , @Iraqiel , @Mossy Toes , @Saintspirit , @LokiDeathclaw , @DkMiBuch , @Viscount Vash , @DaisyDuke and many others - Thank you all for all the hours, feedback and competition you give me every single day, week and month. You're all awesome!

All of you who read my plog, read my tutorials, who enter the competitions, who put up your own plogs, and share your findings. You all help create and inspire new painters like me (Let's be honest, compare to many gamers, I'm still a newbie). You help me get better and strive for better results. Don't. Ever. Stop.

Now, where's the damn coffee.

Last edited by Nordicus; 01-06-15 at 08:05 AM.
post #310 of 923 (permalink) Old 01-06-15, 02:31 PM

They're both really rather nice - even Mr Unfinished on the right

In fact, I have that very figure still packaged up so I'll be nosying at that picture again when it comes time to paint him!

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Tags
40k , chaos daemons , chaos space marines , painting , word bearers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode