All things Chaos: Nordicus's Chaos project log - Page 11 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 923 (permalink) Old 01-14-14, 07:20 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

I don't paint skin tones very often, but when i do i'll be looking through your plog for inspiration. Your eye for colour and muscle tone is fantastic

I love the scheme so far, but I would agree with the others that the blades and the eyes are the weakest parts at present. Light green is a good shout for the eyes but personally i'd go with an icy blue colour, like those fucking terrifying kids in the 'total eclipse of the heart' video.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 923 (permalink) Old 01-14-14, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofVulkan View Post
But excellent work, your daemons are inspirational.
I humbly thank you - It means a lot to a aspiring painter to see his work being appreciated. I do hope you will keep sticking around for more feedback in the future

So the model is done now - I tried the glowy eyes and the highlight on the claws. In the end I didn't keep the OSL (Sorry @SwedeMarine - The tip was excellent, but I couldn't get it to work to a satisfactory level. The face is simply too small for it to really kick in, so it looked more like a spilled mistake than anything else) and I ended up keeping a subtle version of the pinkish claws. I also cleaned up the whitish lines on the claws a bit, gave the shoulder a dark metal drybrush and fixed a few items on the back.

The end result is thus:

The changes to the previous are very subtle, I know. You probably have to know what to look for. However, the last tips I got from you guys made the model stand out in the way i found very satisfying. The blades stand out a bit more now, but they don't take the attention, which is still on the face - I was at a complete loss on the blades, so the tips and agreement among you all helped alot.
Thank you all of you - You're awesome!

Now to paint the second Herald - And see if I can reproduce the steps, so I have a template that I can remember for the 40 Daemonettes and 20 Seekers. Yikes!

Last edited by Nordicus; 01-14-14 at 07:28 PM.
post #103 of 923 (permalink) Old 01-14-14, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
like those fucking terrifying kids in the 'total eclipse of the heart' video.
Jesus christ... What is wrong with those people?!

post #104 of 923 (permalink) Old 01-14-14, 07:38 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
Jesus christ... What is wrong with those people?!
Who can tell - natural reaction to Bonnie Tyler perhaps I shouldn't have searched for that video, i'm going to be listening to rock power ballads all night now :/

Nice work on the claws, they look a lot more 'finished' now and as you say don't draw attention from the focal points.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #105 of 923 (permalink) Old 01-14-14, 09:52 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Nord, you'll prefer this version......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #106 of 923 (permalink) Old 01-15-14, 07:22 AM

Miami's Flag is: Sweden

They look REALLY good now. Wow! I am glad that you kept the eyes the way they were, because they truely look like pure evil. Good job.
post #107 of 923 (permalink) Old 01-15-14, 12:26 PM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

I take no offense my friend. The model is still outstanding but adding the highlights adds alot of character. I cant wait to see a unit if these together.

the second verison of that video had me Loling

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

Last edited by SwedeMarine; 01-15-14 at 12:35 PM.
post #108 of 923 (permalink) Old 02-08-14, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

So it's been a bit of time since my last update. To start off, yes, I managed to make a second version of the herald where I could reproduce all the steps - So now I have two complete Heralds :D

Honestly, the reason for the lack of updates is because I haven't had that much time to paint recently due to real-life: My band has hit the studio to record our debut-album, my girlfriend is moving in this summer (so planning is in order) and I'm currently in and out of job interviews (yeah, I'm searching for one more close by compared to my current - I have 6 hours of daily travel time currently). Overall I can't complain, but it does hurt my painting time

At this time I'm working on the 40 Daemonettes (Only got them past priming this Monday, so they actually quality for all February competitions) so they can be used for the army challenge as well. I doubt I will enter the Deathmatch this month, but I haven't decided yet - These models don't really stand out enough for me to warrant a entry in a painting competition as such.

After the leather (black) has been done, I'll do the metals base and then I move on to the highlights and making them look like the Herald that is at the top of this page. Yeah, it's taking a while when doing 40 models at once

Oh and I painted the eyes black already. Because it looks awesome. So there.

Last edited by Nordicus; 03-28-14 at 09:13 AM.
post #109 of 923 (permalink) Old 02-09-14, 12:12 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Nice work Nord! I hope you'll be putting that album on something that isn't iTunes so those non-apple users amongst us can support... what sort of music do you play again?

With the deathmatch, is there any reason that once you've got this squad to a standard that you are satisfied with, you pluck one out and do some more detailing on it to make it an exceptional single model? I'm back in this month and want to be inspired by your (undoubtedly better than mine) painting skills. I always prefer a stiff competition.

Whilst keeping eyes and skin tones the same, have you considered varying the leather colours and patterns to increase the chaotic look of the squads?

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #110 of 923 (permalink) Old 02-09-14, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
I hope you'll be putting that album on something that isn't iTunes so those non-apple users amongst us can support... what sort of music do you play again?
Well the plan so far is iTunes, Spotify etc. - It all depends on our label as well, as we got a few offers out currently. We will decide once we have the record in hand and see what options we have. It's a genre that it's a grey area really; Metalrock is probably the best description: To one that listens to rock primarily, it will sound like metal. To one who listens to metal, it will sound like hard rock. So it all depends on who you ask

It's in the same area as the bands Breaking Benjamin, Egypt Central and those kind of bands, if you know them?

Quote:
With the deathmatch, is there any reason that once you've got this squad to a standard that you are satisfied with, you pluck one out and do some more detailing on it to make it an exceptional single model?
Well it's a principle thing really - I use the same amount of time on all of my models, regardless of it being a basic troop or a general. However, for me to submit something to the deathmatch, I want the model to have some features that stand out - Which basic troops hardly ever do. I might submit one, but at this point I'm not sure really.

Oh and thanks for the praise!

Quote:
Whilst keeping eyes and skin tones the same, have you considered varying the leather colours and patterns to increase the chaotic look of the squads?
I actually considered both the leather and the hair to be different colors - But then I thought about the origins of the Daemonettes. They're all the spawn of the same god, and could probably be more described as clones if anything else. If they were cultists or Chaos Space Marines, it would be another matter, but I've always seen Daemons as a unified entity. Not by choice, but simply by hardwiring, as they all originate as a fragment of their deity. So I decided for now to keep them all the same - To display that very thought.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Tags
40k , chaos daemons , chaos space marines , painting , word bearers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode