Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Slaves of the Blood God

56K views 383 replies 33 participants last post by  Kreuger 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, I recently decided to finally take the plunge and play some 40k. I've been buying GW minis since I was a youngin', but I've never built an army or played a game.

A Chaos army was the only real choice, and given my love of bloodshed, Khorne was already waiting for me to start spilling blood and collecting skulls in his name. There is literally no way I'm going to buy products from GW, so I've been snatching up deals wherever I can on ebay. This entails a lot of paint stripping, hacking, and customizing -- which I'm totally cool with. I'm not so worried about being competitive at the moment, I just want to have some fun and learn the rules of the game.

I love any opportunity to be creative, and although I'm no expert, I'm happy with my work so far. I welcome any comments, suggestions, or constructive criticism. I look forward to them, in fact!

1) Berzerker Aspiring Champion: This guy came to me via ebay with no weapons in his hands. He came with some 'zerker heads and backpacks, which I needed for my bikers. I love the metal aspiring champions, so the lack of weapons didn't bother me at all.

This was a relatively straightforward conversion. I decided to arm him with a power sword, taken from the WFB Khorne Bloodcrushers. The decapitated head came from the Blood Angels Sanguinary Guard, I believe. The backpack is a standard 6th ed/whatever Chaos Marine backpack, and the spike from metal Chaos terminators. The cape is from WFB warriors of Chaos. He was sculpted in a sort of triumphant pose, and to me there could be no greater trophy than the skull of a loyalist dog.

Coming soon: Daemon prince, bikers, lord on juggernaut.

See less See more
#2 ·
Daemon Prince:

Included in the army I bought off ebay was the metal old school Daemon Prince. Easily one of the coolest models GW put out. Much better than the successor plastic model by far.

Obviously, I decided to equip him with the Black Mace. None of the existing 40k maces seemed appropriate due to being too tiny, so I decided to build my own. I was inspired by a conversion of someone else's Daemon Prince with a Black Mace that I found on the internet, and it worked out just fine. I used 6 WFB warriors of Chaos axes attached to a lance from the same sprue. The lower half of the handle is the top half of an axe. I simply attached a spike where the blade used to be.

Wings seemed like a must for a Daemon Prince like this, but one set wasn't enough! Really, I bid on 2 sets of wings on ebay and managed to win both (got both for like 10 bucks shipped, so woohoo). I used a metal cutting wheel attachment for a dremel rotary tool to cut the wings as necessary. I then drilled as needed and pinned the wings in place, supported by green stuff.

I plan to add some details (skulls, chains as befits a prince of Khorne) and clean up the green stuff. I was considering buying the plastic daemon prince tail bit off ebay, and may do so if I find a good deal.

#4 · (Edited)
And here we have the crown jewel of my army, my lord on juggernaut. Armed with the Axe of Blind Fury, because it sounds badass (and viable) to me. I wanted to convey a sense of movement, as if the juggernaut is charging at full speed. The lord needed to be suitably brutal, and in general give the impression of a complete, bloodthirsty lord of slaughter that makes his enemies piss themselves on his approach.

I yanked a juggy from the WFB Bloodcrushers box. The lord's legs are from Space Wolves Thunderwolf Cavalry, cut and repositioned appropriately. Many bits (spikes, cape, shoulder pads) are from the WFB Warriors of Chaos box. The backpack is from the Dark Vengeance Chaos Lord.

For the "axe blade" I used the crew platform from the WFB war chariot of Khorne, or whatever it's called. I cut/filed the edges into sharpened blades. I'm very happy with the result. I love huge 2-handed weapons. The haft is from the Skullcrushers of Khorne lance/spear weapon.

The helmet was built from a 'zerker helmet and a bloodletter's head from the bloodcrushers box.

The right arm is not currently glued (I dropped the thing by mistake!), so I when glued the arm and weapon will be raised up, as if the lord is getting ready to decapitate 10 Ultramarines or Space Elves at once.

I liked the idea of being attached to the juggernaut somehow. The bloodcrushers ride around gripping the collars of the juggy, but this wasn't possible given the pose I wanted for my lord. And I think with the speed of the charge combined with the dynamic action of combat, some sort of anchor was needed. Notice the left (forward) foot is inside of a sort of metal "strap" similar to what you would put your boot into on a snowboard.

I tried to position the chains bouncing backward, and the cape/purity seal on the trophy head on his backpack flowing as well.

Over all, I'm not *super* pleased with the pose, but it's the best I'm gonna get it. I can only break and reglue this thing so many times, and I don't want to damage the components. Sometimes "good enough" must be just that.

#7 ·
Wow, that is high praise indeed. Thanks!

Truth be told, I'm terrified to paint my HQ units. I haven't painted a mini in nearly 10 years, and I was decent at best. I'm going to practice on some trash minis before attempting the army, but I don't want to play games with a plastic gray army either. I'll have to grab my balls and give it a go, sooner or later. I have a Vallejo paint set, unused and ready to go.

#9 ·
My thoughts, exactly. After all these years, I never realized Khorne's symbol was a stylized skull until I built that weapon. Thanks for the encouragement!

My "bikezerkers" will be coming next, but I totally screwed them up. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to prime them in direct sunlight on a hot day... So I'll be stripping the primer and redoing them. They're all grainy and textured and after all the work I put into them, I don't wanna settle for a crappy looking paint job.

#10 ·
Yeah, that Skull Cannon kit was what finally clued me in to the idea that Khorne's mark was a skull, too: in my case, I was clued in by the back of the throne that comes with the model (since I assembled the cannon and then made the Herald of Khorne seperately, then finally turned that extra throne into an objective marker).

To make my Juggerlords, personally I just used the Skullcrusher models, rather than the Bloodcrushers. Still, the Juggersurfing Lord looks like a badass all the same--especially with that axe. Excellent stroke of innovation there.

Two pairs of wings on the Prince looks nice, but has to be heavy as hell, I imagine.

#11 ·
Very nice stuff mate.
The aspiring champion looks nice with that big ass sword. i think it really adds to an already dynamic sculpt.
The daemon prince is impressive, the mace is just awesome. It kind of reminds me of the mace sauron wields in the beginning of lord of the rings. Have fun painting the two wings, that's a lot of square inches to paint!
As for the jugger lord: great concept, that's really a ballsy conversion and you managed to pull it off pretty nicely. The pose looks realistic and not ankward at all. I would just reposition the lower part of his right leg rotating it a bit more to the rear part of the jug. It would in my opinion be more natural, as for now the two feet of the guy are very parallel. Anyhow, that's details.
Keep up the good work! can't wait to see the bikers!

#13 ·
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I've been really dragging my feet on getting back to work on my army. Picked up Final Fantasy XIV and have been marathoning the hell out of it :D.

I stripped the paint on the bikers, but unfortunately all my custom/carved spikes and such came off in the process. I have a lot of work to do with those.

I've added a melta bomb to my lord on juggy.

I'm working on my daemon prince now. I've added a tail, loincloth, and I plan to add some chains and such, along with other minor touches.

I have a heldrake, 5 obliterators, a new boxed terminator squad and the khorne conversion bits! Very excited about those :D.

Trying to find a use for Zhufor in the army. He could perhaps be a terminator sergeant/champion? Not sure how useful a power axe is on one of those, but I could always pull a "counts as" I suppose.

I have jury duty tomorrow :(. Hard work will have to be postponed once more.

#14 ·
Ok, here's my updated DP of Khorne. I've added a tail, some chains, a loincloth, horns, and berserker helm "wings" or whatever you'd like to call them. I thought they'd look totally out of place, but I actually like how they ended up.

The idea being that this DP was a berzerker of some renown before he was granted his new powers. Since he has mutated power armor, I figured the wings might as well be part of it. The little horn on his forehead brings a little balance to the wings, in my opinion.

I've also bulked up the musculature of his "wing muscles." They aren't perfect, but better than before. Warp-enhanced or not, it would take substantial strength to lift this beast. I plan to brush on some liquid green stuff to cover the margins of each little blob of greenstuff I added. I'm still trying to get the hang of sculpting with it. Not horrible, if I may say so myself.

#16 ·
I really appreciate that. Put tons of work into this thing.

Bikes were decent the first time around, but I'm going to try to do better now that I have more bits to work with.

Juggylord is done.

Now, I need to think about bases for my HQs. Empty would be boring, but too busy would detract from the models themselves. I've seen some good ones on this forum, I'll give them another look.

#17 ·
How about pools of blood with assorted bones/skulls sticking out of them?

#21 · (Edited)
I needed a proxy for Kharn. I think Kharn is badass, but I must admit I really don't like his model all that much. I'm not sure how I ultimately want to convert/build him, so in the mean time I'm using this Khorne lord. He's got a sweet axe that will work as Gorechild, and overall looks quite brutal:

Next up is my terminator aspiring champion. I love the Zhu'for model from Forge World, but I think the axe they gave him looks terrible. He needed some work. You may notice this looks almost exactly like Brovar's version of Zhu'for (see this thread). I shamelessly admit I am a total biter. I had the same axe and after seeing it on his Zhu'for, I knew I found my solution.

They say imitation is the highest form of flattery, and I could only dream of producing minis as good looking as Den of Imagination. I hope my poor man's version is taken as a compliment of said skillz. I added a few touches of my own, including the chain around his axe and the spikes on top of his armor. There was much cutting of arms/pinning involved here. The middle and spiked end of the axe haft are from a bloodcrusher of Khorne weapon, I think. Decided to forego his cape, because it really didn't add anything. Not everyone needs a cape. My berzerker champ already has one. I am very happy with how this mini turned out:

#22 · (Edited)
So I've been working on a couple of projects since my last update. Here's one of them, my World Eaters contemptor dread:

The standard mini, while cool, didn't quite represent the 10,000+ year-old monster I had in mind. I'm happy with the result, but I'm not super thrilled with the axe haft.

#24 ·
Wow. Incredibly badass, and I'm sure that that axe haft will look great once painted. Either blackened, charred wood like an actual tree was uprooted and used, or blood and gore slicked metal, with a basecoat of leadbelcher, worked up with reds and capped off with a red mix of water effects...

Or any way you wanted to do it, I'm sure!

#25 ·
Thanks very much, guys! I'm glad you like it.

The axe handle is passable, to me. The axe blade itself is very mechanical, and the haft is rather organic I suppose. I'm definitely going to add a little mass to the base of the haft, where the blade connects. I left that part a little thinner for some reason. Maybe adding some sort of spikes would help balance the shape. Just doesn't quite look right. I might add something to the end of the haft, too. I'll try my hand at sculpting skulls and see how that goes.

The texture can either be wood, or some sort of warp material... or something. Writhing with energy and such. Perhaps red and glowing, as if coruscating with Khornate power. Another option is to simply have it made of bizarrely wrought brass.

I definitely want to paint it in the post-heresy World Eaters colors. And covered in plenty of blood. Was thinking of having some sort of kill on the base, like half of something that just got eaten by that huge chainaxe.

#26 ·
The texture can either be wood, or some sort of warp material... or something. Writhing with energy and such. Perhaps red and glowing, as if coruscating with Khornate power. Another option is to simply have it made of bizarrely wrought brass.
Id stay away from anything that makes it look like its "magic" for lack of a better term. Khorne doesn't like psykers if i remember correctly.

#27 ·
Does that mean his followers couldn't craft things in his honor? Is utilizing warp energy the pure domain of psykers, or could a daemon smith of sorts craft things with it?

I really have no clue how the "physics" of this sort of thing would play out, or what the rules are. I do know, as you say, that Khorne doesn't like psykers too much though. Too bad, 'cuz prescience is dope. The berzerkers I run in his honor would kill collect many more skulls rerolling hits :grin:.

#28 ·
Oh im not saying you can't run it like that. Im talking about the haft for the giant chain axe specifically. Theres no reason you shouldn't be able to run prescience with them. Im just being specific for that model fluff wise. Otherwise warbands are thrown together from many different groups of chaos worshippers.

#31 ·
If its going to involve the warp in any way id think a psyker would have to be involved. As essentially even with a warpsmith they need the essences of the warp in order to give life to their daemon weapons.

I tend to think of it more like this. If its a weapon purposefully built for a Khorne worshipper then it stands to reason that the maker would care little about where the materials for the haft came from (tree, steel pipe, bones lashed together etc..) the important thing is how many skulls will the champion be able to take with this weapon.

also mind you im not the most fluff savy around. Id probably ask Dave T hes usually very good with this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.