Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Slaves of the Blood God

56K views 383 replies 33 participants last post by  Kreuger 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, I recently decided to finally take the plunge and play some 40k. I've been buying GW minis since I was a youngin', but I've never built an army or played a game.

A Chaos army was the only real choice, and given my love of bloodshed, Khorne was already waiting for me to start spilling blood and collecting skulls in his name. There is literally no way I'm going to buy products from GW, so I've been snatching up deals wherever I can on ebay. This entails a lot of paint stripping, hacking, and customizing -- which I'm totally cool with. I'm not so worried about being competitive at the moment, I just want to have some fun and learn the rules of the game.

I love any opportunity to be creative, and although I'm no expert, I'm happy with my work so far. I welcome any comments, suggestions, or constructive criticism. I look forward to them, in fact!

1) Berzerker Aspiring Champion: This guy came to me via ebay with no weapons in his hands. He came with some 'zerker heads and backpacks, which I needed for my bikers. I love the metal aspiring champions, so the lack of weapons didn't bother me at all.

This was a relatively straightforward conversion. I decided to arm him with a power sword, taken from the WFB Khorne Bloodcrushers. The decapitated head came from the Blood Angels Sanguinary Guard, I believe. The backpack is a standard 6th ed/whatever Chaos Marine backpack, and the spike from metal Chaos terminators. The cape is from WFB warriors of Chaos. He was sculpted in a sort of triumphant pose, and to me there could be no greater trophy than the skull of a loyalist dog.

Coming soon: Daemon prince, bikers, lord on juggernaut.

See less See more
#94 ·
Looks like someones been busy! Good to see someone else butchering limited ed. space marine captains! Glad it wasn't just me...

#96 ·
So, I sort of got bored with the loyalist captain, and shelved the project for the moment. Worked a little on the Sorc, but he too has been shelved in favor of these guys:

Khornate Wolf Lord (HERESY!):

I am somewhat pleased with this mini so far. He has to be both wolfy and Khornate while being suitably intimidating. He's a Wolf Lord leading an army of Space Wolf traitors who would fall on a weak leader and tear him apart in a heartbeat. This guy keeps a rein on all the puppies.

He's meant to have the Black Death, Helm of Durfast, Armor of Russ, and Wulfenstone represented on the mini in Khornate/chaotic imagery instead of a pure loyalist wolf.

The new Wolf Lord model has some sweet parts, and you can see some here: the backpack, arm, axe, shoulder pad, and rear half of his chest/cape. The chest piece is from WFB Skullcrushers of Khorne. It's decent.

I used Harald Deathwolf's mount, but the model just isn't that cool in my opinion. Ugly face, unimpressive hair, crude looking axe... not good enough for me.

The angle of the head isn't set. I haven't decided which way his head should be facing. His other arm will be clinging to the fur of the wolf, with a Storm Shield strapped to it. I think this will explain the currently somewhat-awkward-looking pose he's in. The torso/leg junction looks a bit awkward, but I think it will be acceptable once the mini is completed and there are knives or other objects to distract from and cover up those funky looking areas.

Khornate Thunderwolf Champ (HERESY!):

With this guy, I really wanted to give him a special weapon, as he's the unit leader. This is a traitor Space Wolf (HERESY!) who has slain many mighty foes in the name of the Blood God. Clearly aged, as well. This speaks to his prowess in battle. At some point, he was rewarded with this crazy hammer. Whether before or after his turn from the Emperor is unclear, as Khorne's symbol may have been added during or after the weapon was forged.

My challenge is really how to add the Storm Shield to the model. It doesn't really appear to work if strapped to either arm while he's holding that hammer with two hands. I may have it slung over his backpack, and if that's too bulky/clumsy looking, perhaps off the side of his saddle or along the wolf's upper thigh.

Detail of the hammmer. I'm hoping to use guitar string to add a power supply to the right head and bring visual balance to the weapon:

*you may notice some of the resin is a strange color. Let's just say sometimes there's a cost to getting a better deal on eBay, and leave it at that.

#99 ·
My challenge is really how to add the Storm Shield to the model. It doesn't really appear to work if strapped to either arm while he's holding that hammer with two hands. I may have it slung over his backpack, and if that's too bulky/clumsy looking, perhaps off the side of his saddle or along the wolf's upper thigh.
Slung from the saddle would look pretty cool :)

#100 ·
*BLAM!* Heresy!

Besides the obvious heretical implications, this is a pretty sweet model. :)

Can't wait to see how it get's painted to show if Wolf Origins and it's Khorne corruption.
Thanks! :so_happy: Still deciding on the color scheme. Black, grey, red, maybe some brass in the mix? Maybe red/black the way you see loyalists painted in yellow/black patterns for Wolf Guard?

How do you find working with etched brass? I have no experience and I was wondering if it's PITA?
Eh, if you have a good blade or tool to cut the brass out of the sprue it's just fine. If you don't cut the tiniest of pieces perfectly, you end up with a little flash that must be cut or filed off. This was my first time working with the brass, so I wasn't very good at it. Bending it to conform to a surface isn't all that easy. I also filed the edges so they were less of a flat thing glued onto power armor.

In short, not so bad.

Slung from the saddle would look pretty cool :)
Cool, thanks. I think it's also the most realistic in terms of having the shield at the ready in case he needs to fend off a lascannon beam or something. His superhuman reflexes allow him to do such things.

#107 ·
As an alternative to a Storm Shield, I wanted to see what he'd look like with a second weapon instead of a cowardly shield.

Is it too much? Keep in mind that the pose isn't perfect yet. The wolf/legs/torso/sword arm/helm are all separate at the moment.

Sorry, the pictures aren't very good quality:

#112 ·
Maybe, just a thought, and I don't mean to take anything away from this wolf guard champ, but maybe replace the thunder hammer wolf heads with actual skulls, and paint them brass. Seems more sinister and Khorney. If not, he still looks bad arse!

#115 ·
Hmm. Hard to point out a Juggerlord and explain why he has an extra wound and attack but can't go flat out, but those are incredibly minor complaints, all told. By and large I'm all for it, though I personally went Cold Ones for my Juggerlord's retinue.

#117 ·
I've sorta been working on things a little bit here and there, but my collection is so large and ability to focus so horrible that projects have been proceeding at a snail's pace.

I decided to break apart all my CSM and repose them, in preparation for being painted. After finding this old thread on how to convert aiming space marines that's what I'm gonna do for most of them that are armed with bolters.

I've also purchased three things recently, because I needed even MORE projects :laugh::crazy::laugh::

For my Havoc squads. I already have an Autocannon squad. I needed a Missile Launcher and Lascannon squad, obviously! With these bits I will have 4 Lascannons (3 Iron Warriors + 1 havoc) and 5 Missile Launchers (3 demon-mouthed and 2 "regular"). I think I'll scrounge some kneeling-pose SM Devastator legs to vary them up a bit.

ANOTHER unit of Skullcrushers, because I got it for an irresistable price on eBay. I AM FUCKING HOPELESS. That makes 9 Skullcrushers total, along with 6 Bloodcrusher riderless juggies as Spawn.

And, last but not least, I bought the Carnosaur (just the body/saddle) to create a counts-as Zarakynel which will be a Lord of Khorne atop a Carnosaur-demon-thing. I am so fucking stoked, but this is a project for waaay down the pipeline when my converting/painting skills have leveled up to pimp status.

I've also been fiddling around with some green stuff additions to my Obliterators to make them more "of Nurgle," I'll try to get some pics of those up. Nothing special, but I think they look better than stock.

Hopefully going to make this an active thread again. I need to stop being such a pussy and just get it DONE.

#119 ·
Guess who got EVEN MORE Juggernauts...

When I actually finish building them, I will have 10 Juggernauts who count as Spawn with the Mark of Khorne.

I'll have 9 Skullcrushers to use as bikers or my homebrew unit.

AND I ordered 30 barghest fiends from puppetswar to use as Flesh Hounds, on top of my 5 shitty old school flesh hounds and 5 Fenrisian Wolves I'll paint up to count as 5 more.

Everything else is on the back burner, Khorne Daemonkin are my number one priority.

I ACTUALLY BOUGHT BRUSHES. Very excited to get started.

#121 ·
I've been wondering what to do with those bits, that's a great idea!

And now I don't even have to do a counts-as Zarakynel like some subversive pleasure-worshipping scrub. COUNTS AS BLOODTHIRSTER!

Was thinking of buying an extra set of the new Bloodthirster wings off of eBay, but spending ~20 bucks on wings is a little crazy.

Did you know you could buy balrog wings straight from GW? Pretty badass.

#124 ·
May have to add to some other Mail Order stuff too, like kits of 60mm bases, a Culexus, and--hell, honestly, now that Necrosphinxes are mail order only, and might vanish entirely, I might need to grab another for that future planned Maulerfiend/Necrosphinx paired conversion, in the vein of my Soul Grinder/Fiend--I feel the need to be able to fill out some Heavy Support choices. (plus the idea of fielding 3 Maulerfiends and 2 Soul Grinders in a Daemonkin list looks fun!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.