Slaves of the Blood God - Page 20 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #191 of 384 (permalink) Old 06-05-15, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
Yeah, I'm not really sold on them either. The main thing I don't like, is the vallejo brass or bronze. I find all of it far too yellow for my tastes. The contrast is especially stark between the shaded areas and the brass/gold highlights.

And even though Khorne's throne and all of his toys are made of brass, I have always used the old GW dwarf bronze as my trim color of choice. It's warmer and more red. It looks less chintzy.

I also have miniatures in a similar color scheme. Mine are essentially a dark bronze like warplock, but without the nihilakh oxide.

Let's stop for a moment and reconsider. What do you want them to look like? All of these tests are sort of going in the same direction, "gold terminators." And you don't seem satisfied with them. So what quality aren't you achieving here?
I prefer using some if the bright colours to drybrushes with then mute them with a wash or ink. This also helps blend the colours.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 384 (permalink) Old 06-05-15, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

I'd prefer a more subdued, slightly less brilliant brass coloration than gold. I suppose the difference is subtle.

I'm not sure at this point if I want them to be wearing well maintained, beautiful brass armor or some that has been tarnished by their time in the warp/harsh atmospheres of daemon worlds and such.

As for my problems with the drybrushing, I find that the transitions aren't really evident. Maybe I'm just layering too much paint on top of the previous color. And then, when I start edge highlighting, it sort of looks out of place on a model that has otherwise been painted with drybrushing. The GW scheme is to add a final layer of boltgun metal or other silver color. I'm going to try that just to see how it looks, but then I'm going to try the scheme I described at the end of the last post.

*edit*

Just doing some research into painting techniques, and I'm finding this guy VERY informative: http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/20...lic-metal.html

Great blog.

*edit2*

Just picked up a 4th Rhino for my new CSM squads from @bitsandkits ! Not a bad deal at all.

SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -

Last edited by venomlust; 06-05-15 at 05:10 PM.
post #193 of 384 (permalink) Old 06-05-15, 08:34 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

@venomlust honestly, if you're using nihilakh oxide they should be tarnished, and the brass/bronze should be darker. It'll just look goofy if the oxide is on shiny models. And interestingly, apparently brass vs. bronze is passing out of historical usage because the contents are so inconsistent. So feel free to use a more bronzey color without offending the blood god. =)

When I did my last few daemon engines I was working from a similar idea. They would be mostly tarnished bronze with the high friction edges shiny, and oxidation accumulated in the crevices. All the leading edges are brighter, but I didn't go crazy with my highlighting. Using metallic paint means that it will catch the light pretty effectively already.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

post #194 of 384 (permalink) Old 06-06-15, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
JUGGERNUT

Quote:
@venomlust honestly, if you're using nihilakh oxide they should be tarnished, and the brass/bronze should be darker. It'll just look goofy if the oxide is on shiny models. And interestingly, apparently brass vs. bronze is passing out of historical usage because the contents are so inconsistent. So feel free to use a more bronzey color without offending the blood god. =)

When I did my last few daemon engines I was working from a similar idea. They would be mostly tarnished bronze with the high friction edges shiny, and oxidation accumulated in the crevices. All the leading edges are brighter, but I didn't go crazy with my highlighting. Using metallic paint means that it will catch the light pretty effectively already.

YES! That is exactly what I want! Thanks so much for sharing!

post #195 of 384 (permalink) Old 06-06-15, 07:07 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Woo hoo! Glad I could help!

I also have terminators and chaos marines in a similar dark bronze scheme, without the oxidation. Let me know if you want reference photos of anything.

*Rummages around for images. Rummage, rummage, rummage*

[edit]

These are from my army showcase:

The main colors here are dwarf bronze (or the new equivalent, which is apparently hashut copper according to the conversion chart) over warplock bronze (or the old equivalent, tin bitz) I still have dwarf bronze in the old hex paint pot so I usually use that. I think on some of these guys I may have mixed Brass Scorpion with Sycorax Bronze to test out the new colors, and that was about even with dwarf bronze. I haven't tried out the hashut copper, but I might pic some up.

I was (and am) more than a little smitten with dwarf bronze as a color. It had a really nice luster and warmth, and it worked particularly well for Khornate trim.

Cheers!

p.s. No photos of the terminators, bikes, or other regular chaos marines. Though poking around, they're not that great paint jobs. Clean and workman like but not very inspired. I'll still share though.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

Last edited by Kreuger; 06-06-15 at 04:07 PM.
post #196 of 384 (permalink) Old 06-06-15, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
JUGGERNUT

Quote:
Woo hoo! Glad I could help!

I also have terminators and chaos marines in a similar dark bronze scheme, without the oxidation. Let me know if you want reference photos of anything.

*Rummages around for images. Rummage, rummage, rummage*

[edit]

These are from my army showcase:

The main colors here are dwarf bronze (or the new equivalent, which is apparently hashut copper according to the conversion chart) over warplock bronze (or the old equivalent, tin bitz) I still have dwarf bronze in the old hex paint pot so I usually use that. I think on some of these guys I may have mixed Brass Scorpion with Sycorax Bronze to test out the new colors, and that was about even with dwarf bronze. I haven't tried out the hashut copper, but I might pic some up.

I was (and am) more than a little smitten with dwarf bronze as a color. It had a really nice luster and warmth, and it worked particularly well for Khornate trim.

Cheers!

p.s. No photos of the terminators, bikes, or other regular chaos marines. Though poking around, they're not that great paint jobs. Clean and workman like but not very inspired. I'll still share though.
Cool, I'd love to see them some time. Thanks again for sharing, that cannon especially conveys the colors very well.

post #197 of 384 (permalink) Old 06-08-15, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
JUGGERNUT

Girl Painter has a decent video for a color scheme similar to one I'm thinking of:

post #198 of 384 (permalink) Old 06-11-15, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
JUGGERNUT

I'm narrowing down the brass scheme, and just practicing some more.

Getting there:

Better: I like the red tint:

I tried something different with the nihilakh oxide this time, watering it down a bit and using a very fine detail brush. I like the result:

To practice something a little different, I've been working on some cultists. Getting all the basecoating done before I apply the washes and highlights:

post #199 of 384 (permalink) Old 06-11-15, 11:27 PM

Roganzar's Flag is: USA

That Termie design is starting to look good toward the end. Maybe, get a little more picky about were the nihilakh oxide ends up. Otherwise, I think you've almost got it.

01010100 01101111 01100001 01110011 01110100 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100000 01100110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110110 01100101 01110010 01111001 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100001

Forge World Sidera Maris project.

Warhammer Age of Sigmar project

Horus Heresy project
post #200 of 384 (permalink) Old 06-12-15, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
JUGGERNUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roganzar View Post
That Termie design is starting to look good toward the end. Maybe, get a little more picky about were the nihilakh oxide ends up. Otherwise, I think you've almost got it.
Yup, I think so too! Thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode