Slaves of the Blood God - Page 19 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 384 (permalink) Old 06-01-15, 12:21 AM

DaisyDuke's Flag is: United Kingdom

What colour are you going to do the hair on the dogs? I think putting the base down for their hair, teeth etc. will give you some contrast. There looking good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 384 (permalink) Old 06-01-15, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDuke View Post
What colour are you going to do the hair on the dogs? I think putting the base down for their hair, teeth etc. will give you some contrast. There looking good!
Thanks!

I wasn't really planning to paint the hair, to be honest. I was just using them to practice painting the skin. But while I'm at it, I may as well not be lazy and practice painting some hair.

Perhaps a brighter orange color? I'd prefer black, but I'm not really sure how I would build that up with highlights and stuff and still make it look good.

SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -
post #183 of 384 (permalink) Old 06-03-15, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
JUGGERNUT

More experimentation.

I tried the basecoat of Warplock Bronze, followed by Nihilakh Oxide, Nuln Oil, and Vallejo Bronze drybrush. I used the method of drenching the model in Nihilak oxide, wiping some off with a paper towel, and then letting it dry. Not sure I like this method. It's really messy. I think I'd rather be precise and paint it into the recesses with a thin brush. Over all not bad, though. I really like these old school terminators. It's a shame they're so tiny compared to the newer ones, because I love the details.

Here's just the oxide + nuln oil before the dry brush:

And post dry brushing:

And here's the top half. I don't like the outcome as much. I should have been more patient and allowed the oxide to dry completely before the nuln oil:

And I primed a few old plague marines to test out this scheme on power armor. These things are horrible. This was just way too messy. Next time I'm definitely using the thinner brush.

Here's a pic without flash just to see if there's a difference. They definitely look slightly different to my eye in person, as the figure is illuminated with light bulbs and ambient light rather than a flash.

Last edited by venomlust; 06-03-15 at 12:43 AM.

post #184 of 384 (permalink) Old 06-03-15, 01:14 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

@venomlust

I'd base coat with warplock, do a light dry brush of Vallejo bronze, nuln oil, nihilakh oxide, the dry brush more bronze over that on the burnished areas of wear.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #185 of 384 (permalink) Old 06-03-15, 01:47 AM

Perfect opportunity for some pigment dry brushing as well. A little bit of ... well its dark red/brown works great for rust and blood tinting.

post #186 of 384 (permalink) Old 06-03-15, 09:35 AM

DaisyDuke's Flag is: United Kingdom

What other colours are you going to use? Trim etc this will depending on what you use change the tone of the metallic slightly. Red will bring out copper etc.
post #187 of 384 (permalink) Old 06-03-15, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
JUGGERNUT

Not sure yet, tbh. I'm definitely going to reduce the amount of oxide. I was thinking of just solid brass for the armored parts, possibly black trim, but maybe all brass.

post #188 of 384 (permalink) Old 06-05-15, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
JUGGERNUT

I just picked up another 2 boxes of Chaos Space Marines, because I couldn't pass up the deal . 2 new boxes with shipping for less than the cost of a single box retail price.

Not sure what to do with them. Maybe melta/plasma havocs or something.

post #189 of 384 (permalink) Old 06-05-15, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
JUGGERNUT

I think this is going to conclude my drybrushing adventures, for now. I liked it on the airbrushed flesh of the hounds, but on armor I'm really not liking the results so far.

Here is the earlier terminator that was drybrushed after nihilakh oxide highlighted with Vallejo brass. I think it is a bit too gold. It looks better in the picture than in person, I suppose:

Here is a terminator that was basecoated with warplock bronze, washed with nuln oil, and then drybrushed with vallejo brass and sloppy edge highlighting with Vallejo old gold:

Here's one basecoated with warplock bronze, drybrushed with balthasar gold, washed with nuln oil, and then drybrushed with Vallejo bronze:

And then drybrushed with a bit of Vallejo old gold:

And finally some highlights with Vallejo brass:

All in all, it isn't a terrible scheme, but I don't think I'm liking the drybrush method so much on armor. I've been reading/watching some GW tutorials, and I'm going to try a few minis that utilize the method of metallic basecoat > wash > edge highlight > second edge highlight. The Blood Angels gold bits and Bloodthirster/Wrathmongers brass stuff is a decent starting point.

post #190 of 384 (permalink) Old 06-05-15, 01:39 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Yeah, I'm not really sold on them either. The main thing I don't like, is the vallejo brass or bronze. I find all of it far too yellow for my tastes. The contrast is especially stark between the shaded areas and the brass/gold highlights.

And even though Khorne's throne and all of his toys are made of brass, I have always used the old GW dwarf bronze as my trim color of choice. It's warmer and more red. It looks less chintzy.

I also have miniatures in a similar color scheme. Mine are essentially a dark bronze like warplock, but without the nihilakh oxide.

Let's stop for a moment and reconsider. What do you want them to look like? All of these tests are sort of going in the same direction, "gold terminators." And you don't seem satisfied with them. So what quality aren't you achieving here?

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode