Blood Angels - The 13th Company - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-13, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

As promised
First a look at my Terminators in progress, got a 1000point game this coming Thursday (list build in progress) Hope these boys will be ready

If theres one thing I have to say about those terminators its that doing the red spray over the black spray is way too much paint, lost some details on their chests But its a learning process,

And just because Im insanely happu with the product, here's the Hobby Desk Tidy things I got from back2base-ix

@Lemmy1916 thanks mate. Thanks for the tips, I like your base suggestion, something that will make the red stand out, like white? Or something more mellow like stone.
LOL one of the bases I have done have a rock painted gold. Much like the biker with the L plate, just a small little giggle without trying to be over the top stupid

Speaking of which

Its been touched up since this was taken, fixing some of the issues. This was one of my first models

Last edited by The 13th; 09-02-13 at 01:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-13, 03:33 PM

Lemmy1916's Flag is: Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 13th View Post

@Lemmy1916 thanks mate. Thanks for the tips, I like your base suggestion, something that will make the red stand out, like white? Or something more mellow like stone.
Since your main color is a bright red and that your painting style is clean an plain, i would suggest a dark color for your bases. White would in my opinion end up adding too much brightness to an already strong visual impact of the model. Personnally, i like painting the band in a different neutral color than the base. My army has a black color scheme and i paint bases with a mid brown (gorthor brown) band and light grey sand (looks like ash). I would suggest for you to chose between some darker browns for the band and as for the sand / flock on the top on the base, something like a dark-blueish grey.

I think the best thing you can do is to get creative on a few spare bases and blue tack some models on it to see how the overall effect is, and then post it here to get feedback if you can't make up your mind. And go with the one you like the most regardless of the advices
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-13, 04:10 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 13th View Post
If theres one thing I have to say about those terminators its that doing the red spray over the black spray is way too much paint
I thought the Army Painter sprays were meant to be used by themselves? Check the can, if it says 'primer' then you shouldn't have to go black underneath. If it just says 'paint', well....I'd still give it a try. Also try to do really short bursts (like, a second or two at the most) while spraying so that you can check to see the instant you have complete coverage so as to avoid obscuring detail.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-13, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
I thought the Army Painter sprays were meant to be used by themselves? Check the can, if it says 'primer' then you shouldn't have to go black underneath.
Yup you're 100% correct.

They'd already been primed and in a moment of weakness I decided to be lazy

Oh well, Live and Learn, I will definately NOT be making that mistake with the Devastators that are already primed
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-13, 02:52 AM

I've had some models that have been base coated twice with spray in different colours (even using automotive spray) and still not had that level of detail obscuring.

Can't wait to see those Termies finished! Are you gunna follow through on the blue helmets for devastators, yellow for assault and gold for veterans?

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-13, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
I've had some models that have been base coated twice with spray in different colours (even using automotive spray) and still not had that level of detail obscuring.

Can't wait to see those Termies finished! Are you gunna follow through on the blue helmets for devastators, yellow for assault and gold for veterans?
With the exception of theveterans yes.
Vets will be silver most likely.

I definately nneed more practice with the spray, maybe I should go back to spraying then after their semi assembled
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-13, 03:36 AM

This helped me a lot. Actually, pretty much everything on this blog is golden. Some stuff I don't like the final product so much, but the work and reasoning is always sound.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-13, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

My Sanguinary Guard work in progress.

Early on I decided that I wanted to lean more towards silver than gold with my army, it makes it different than standard but still holds true to the "beautiful" element, well in my eyes atleast.

My original plan for the SG was to mix red and silver for a metallic red look, but it was suggested to my to try a wash instead and when experimenting I liked the look.

So this is the look Im going for, its not exactly smooth yet but that seems to add a little battle damaged look in some ways, Im undecided if I will do more layers of wash or not yet.

The plan to date will be that only Dante will get the full gold treatment (cause he has to)

I am considering keeping the gold death masks but indecided.

Feedback would be great

Last edited by The 13th; 09-08-13 at 01:16 PM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-13, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

A better look at my SG, still a work in progress clearly. I had a lazy week and got back into it last night.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode