A New Craftworld is Born - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-13, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

returnoftheclown's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default A New Craftworld is Born

Hello all!
My name is Returnoftheclown, but most people just call me ROTC. I have been an avid 40k player for around 10 years. In that period I have had around 7 different armies, some no more than 500pts, others bordering on 5,000pts. I kicked the habit about 2 years ago and sold off most of my stuff, keeping the models that I was just too darned proud of to sell. I was then sucked back into the hobby courtesy of 6th edition and the new Chaos Space Marines. Not too long ago I found myself using the same models and tactics over and over again and was starting to lose interest, and so in a bid to keep myself motivated I decided to go for a completely different approach to my slow moving/static Nurgle force and try a bit of fast moving goodness.

With the introduction taken care of I would like to present a log of my trip into the realms of the Eldar. The reason for the log is to try and keep myself focussed, rather than my traditional approach to the hobby of bankrupt myself buying everything. I would also like to get some outside influence on my army, some advice on any improvements I could make.

Craftworld ???
So as you can guess by the title, have no idea on the name of my craftworld. I don’t really want to do a known craftworld as I find that boring. I love creating my own fluff for the whole army. Every model has a story, some more detailed than others of course, but there is still a story. Can anyone suggest a possible name? I am currently working on the fluff, but it will be along the lines of that of Il-kaithe, Daemon hunters. I have always tried to link my different armies together via fluff, so find it logical that my Eldar are hunting down my Nurgle followers. When I have something I’ll post it up.

Main focus of the army
The idea I have in my head is the army focuses primarily on speed, bikes and warp spiders backed up by prisms are the core. However, you then maybe surprised to see that the first few models I show you are in fact foot sloggers.

The Coven
So I found the most logical place to start my epic adventure was with my HQ choices. I have some fluff on the go to explain who the following are, but afraid it’s not done yet, I’ll try and get that up ASAP.

Keynorath – Farseer with Singing Spear
This is the most powerful member of The Coven. His mind may have been shattered by the death of his twin, Morrain, but he is still able to lead his craftworld to glory. The skull he is looking at is that of his brother. As you can tell, something might have happened to him, more will be revealed at a later date.

The body is that of Illic Nightspear. I love the dynamic pose of the model, but was not overly impressed by his rules so decided to convert him. The head, spear and hand were all taken from the plastic Farseer kit with the skull coming from some left over Grey knight bits.
Model was primed black, with the armour layered with Temple Guard Blue, followed by a wash with Nuln Oil. The helmet and jacket were layered with Balthasar Gold and a wash with Nuln Oil. The spear’s shaft (hey hey hey, none of that thinking!), was painted with some very old emulsion paints back in the day and the tip with Runefang Steel. The spear was then washed with Guilliman Blue glaze to get the shiny blue effect.

Lothia – Farseer with Witchblade
She is perhaps the most secretive of The Coven. She hardly ever speaks, but when she does all listen to her council. In her early years she followed the path of the outcast, and became perhaps the most widely known ranger of her craftworld. However, she disappeared after she ventured on a planet recently raided by the Dark Eldar. In her three year absence people had assumed that she had met her fate, but the truth was far worse. She returned to the craftworld and quickly renounced the path of the outcast in favour of that of the seer and has never left it. Many have noticed the archaic nature of her armour, but none have braved to ask her where it had come from.

Lothia is made up of the bottom half of the plastic farseer with a dark eldar torso, arms, gun and helmet. The sword is that of a grey knights. The method of painting was exactly the same as Keynorath.

Baranost – Farseer on jetbike with Witchblade
Baranost is perhaps the most violent of The Coven, known to charge head long into an assault. He is the youngest member of The Coven, but no less wise because of it. If only he could learn to control his temper more effective.

Baranost is made up of the top half of the plastic Farseer, the head of an Elf archer, and the weapons from the Dark Eldar. The colour of the body of the bike was made up from a 1:1 mix of Kantor Blue and Runefang Steel. This created a very nice metallic blue. Baranost himself was painted exactly the same as the other two Farseers.

Gilduin the Wise – Wraith Lord with Bright Lance and Scatter Lasers
Gilduin was the one who foresaw the death of Morrain, and it is wished by most that Keynorath had listened to this warning. Her death was mourned by all, for she was perhaps the most gifted seer of fate. Her will was deemed strong enough to be placed into a Wraith Lord shell and so is still an active member of The Coven.

Gilduin’s body was painted using the 1:1 mix of Kantor Blue and Runefang Steel, washed with Nuln Oil. The gold plates were Balthasar Gold, washed with Nuln Oil. Areas were touched up with Temple Guard Blue to add a bit of contrast from the darker blue.

This is so far what I have. Would be very interested in what people think so far. My next task is most likely to make a start on some Warp Spiders, but I’ll see.

Thanks for reading!

“Insane? You dare to claim that we are insane? I find this very amusing. You see, there is no such thing as sanity. Why? Because the nature of sanity depends on the context the term is used. A man living in squalor may call the rich man insane for wasting food, while the rich man in return may call the poor insane for living off his waste. You slaughter thousands and squander the resources of planets on foolish incursions to please a corpse and his corrupted followers. And you have the nerve to call me insane? Oh poor misguided individual, pray to whatever deity you serve and hope he is merciful, for those who find themselves trapped in the spiders web have little else they can do”

Lord Nerthro of the ‘Heralds of Absurdity’ to what remained of an Imperial scouting party
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-13, 10:44 AM

Ring Master "Honka"'s Flag is: United Kingdom

Return of the clown! my boyz shhud av said der woz mor clowns about.

i like the models and fluff is always nice. but as i havent read up on eldar in a while i cant relly comment about if the fluff fits. but i did enjoy there back stories and cant wait for more models

however i would say the only problem i have is you have the ... spirit stones?(thinks thats what they are called) the same colour as the armour which is unusual i would think they would be ther own glowing colour.

but yeah looking good mate cant wait to see more.

Last edited by Ring Master "Honka"; 08-27-13 at 10:49 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-13, 12:09 PM
Thordis

Haskanael's Flag is: Netherlands

unconventional paint scheme I like it, are you aiming for a certain unit theme? or an amount of points? or is it going to be a display army?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-13, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

returnoftheclown's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring Master Honka View Post
Return of the clown! my boyz shhud av said der woz mor clowns about
We clowns get around! However, I think you'll find me more of a Death Jester

Quote:
i like the models and fluff is always nice. but as i havent read up on eldar in a while i cant relly comment about if the fluff fits. but i did enjoy there back stories and cant wait for more models
Thank you very much my friend. Yes, the fluff is a little shoe horned in but I reckon I can smooth it out a bit with time.

Quote:
however i would say the only problem i have is you have the ... spirit stones?(thinks thats what they are called) the same colour as the armour which is unusual i would think they would be ther own glowing colour.
AH!!! You're right! I knew something looked wrong! Yes, I'll get to work on that. Just picking the right colour to stand out. Red keeps springing to mind but reckon thats due to your red nosed ork there!

BTW, love your project Ring Master "Honka", think those Orks look fantastic! Can tell you put a lot of work into them, makes me feel bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haskanael View Post
unconventional paint scheme I like it, are you aiming for a certain unit theme? or an amount of points? or is it going to be a display army?
Cheers Pal! Well, currently I'm just getting models together. As I said in the intro I'm looking to make an army of bikes and spiders mainly. Once I've started getting stuff together I'm going to aim for 1,500pts, and steadily increase from there.
At heart I'm a gamer, so I would feel terrible if I didn't play with my toys

“Insane? You dare to claim that we are insane? I find this very amusing. You see, there is no such thing as sanity. Why? Because the nature of sanity depends on the context the term is used. A man living in squalor may call the rich man insane for wasting food, while the rich man in return may call the poor insane for living off his waste. You slaughter thousands and squander the resources of planets on foolish incursions to please a corpse and his corrupted followers. And you have the nerve to call me insane? Oh poor misguided individual, pray to whatever deity you serve and hope he is merciful, for those who find themselves trapped in the spiders web have little else they can do”

Lord Nerthro of the ‘Heralds of Absurdity’ to what remained of an Imperial scouting party
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-13, 05:44 PM

Saintspirit's Flag is: Sweden

Looking nice. If you're looking for some sort of CW-name, perhaps you might find some useful word here: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18668 - That's where I found the name for my Craftworld.

My Word Bearers Project
My Tutorials - part 1: Word Bearer
My Tutorials - part 2: Word Bearer Cultist
My Tutorials - part 3: Plaguebearer
My Tutorials - part 4: Plague Marine
Quote:
To make a model into a piece of art, you need to find a model that you like, and a painting scheme that you love.
Quote:
"They are fierce indeed these Kor, and savage. I look upon them and tremble at their ferocity. I can only hope that when the enemy sees them they tremble as I do."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-13, 06:32 PM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Hello ROTC, nice to meet a fellow Eldar player. Your models are looking good so far but they appear a bit flat, lacking in a main focus point. Adding a bit more color or difference in coke would help that out. Any plans on basic the models yet?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-13, 08:47 PM

Lemmy1916's Flag is: Switzerland

Lovely colorscheme. Can't wait to see more

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode