Caestus Assault Ram Build Log - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-13, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
The Tinkerer

Wookiepelt's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Caestus Assault Ram Build Log

And so the challenge begins...

Having been warned that taking on a Forgeworld build was tempting fate, I took on the challenge and got hold for two flyers that would be suitable for our Space Wolves army, namely the Caestus Assault Ram and the Storm Eagle. Obviously having never built a Forgeworld model before, I elected to start with the simpler one. So this log will now chart the ups and downs of the Caestus Assault Ram build!

For those who don't know this model, its a monster of a flyer based on her stats. This is one from the Imperial Armour Aeronautica (Pgs 30-31). She's a hovering vehicle, flyer & tank (Armour-13,13,11,3HP) with a transport capacity of 10 with the Misericorde so is not affected by the Bulky special rule, i.e. she can deliver 10 Terminators on demand and they can proceed to assault after the ramming move! Oh... forgot to add that prior to the ramming and payload delivery, she would have had fired her Heavy 1, S8, AP1, 18" range, Large Blast Magna-Melta and two Heavy 4, S6, AP4, Twin-linked Blast Firefury Missile Battery! All that for 275 points!!! Now you know why we HAD to have her!

OK, enough stats waffling here. On to the project itself...

First up, I spent the whole Sunday afternoon cutting, de-burring, and tidying up as best as I could all 22 pieces that would eventually make up the model. This was then subjected to the mandatory fairy liquid scrub-down to get rid of all the resin release agent that is still coated on all the components. Here's the result of the day's cutting and washing.

After that, I started a trial assembly of the starboard Nacelle as it was regularly highlighted online that there were major Assault Ramp alignment issues with this particular side. True to form, the bottom hole for the ramp on the starboard Nacelle top piece was a good 2mm higher than it should be. This resulted in a cocked ramp when it was put together. So it was simple case of extending the hole down by 2mm with the dremel tool and filling out the rest with green-stuff. So this is what I've ended up with:

With that done, I've now primed the 4 nacelle components (on the inside only) for painting/detailing before I assemble it all up.

So this is where we stand at the moment. I'll update with more progress on this as I continue with this challenge... watch this space!

Don't leave us engineers with too much free time on our hands...
we WILL tinker around and build something!!!

Wookie's Wolfies - A Space Wolves Project Log

Last edited by Wookiepelt; 08-27-13 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Typo and link additions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-13, 12:08 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-13, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
The Tinkerer

Some progress made (internal painting only) but kinda stuck at the moment as I'm trying to figure out how to include some small LEDs for internal "lights"! Think I've worked out a solution but needs some tinkering to see if works...

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-13, 03:11 PM

VixusKragov's Flag is: USA

Looks like a very interesting project. make sure to post pictures, show us what you're up to. I'll definitely be watching out for them.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-13, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
The Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VixusKragov View Post
Looks like a very interesting project. make sure to post pictures, show us what you're up to. I'll definitely be watching out for them.
Will definitely post pics of this as I work out how I'm going to get the "electrical" circuit done between the two nacelles without having wires all over the shop! I'm currently toying with a possible solution using conductive paint and tiny SMDs.

Last edited by Wookiepelt; 10-18-13 at 02:34 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-13, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
The Tinkerer

Default Nacelle Internal Lighting Circuit

Here is the basic circuit diagram for the proposed lighting circuit, complete with a on-off-on switch to allow for switching from normal operational "Yellow" to tactical "Red" lighting.

The bulk of the "wiring" will be done with the electrically-conductive paint from Bare Conductive, including the contact points between the three main pieces; namely the left and right nacelles and the central main body. The hard bit will be planning out the cavity that I'll have to drill/file/hack out of the solid resin main body to house the batteries and switch, and followed-up with the concealment of it all after that!

All electronic components and conductive paint are expected to arrive next week. Unfortunately I'm gonna be away most of the week till Sunday so this won't get worked on till the following week.

Last edited by Wookiepelt; 10-18-13 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Added link to conductive paint
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-13, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
The Tinkerer

Default Success!!!

After a bit of "trial and error" tinkering with the Bare Conductive paint and realising that it resulted in very high resistance to the current flow, I needed to modify the original circuit wiring philosophy. Good thing was that I could do away with having resistors in the circuit. Bad thing was that I needed to incorporate a wire/conductive-paint mix in the wiring arrangement!

So here's a quick run through of the "Experiment" with the right Nacelle...

First up, the original resin lighting needed to be carefully cut out to receive the 2mm x 1.25mm x 0.8mm sized surface-mounted Light Emitting Diode (SMD).

Next, the Red & Yellow SMDs were super-glued into position and the wiring plus Bare Conductive paint connections were done.

... and then I said, "Let there be light!"

Standard Operational Yellow Lighting

Tactical Assault Red Lighting

Red & Yellow Lighting as a test case for running 4 SMDs on the single 9V battery

So there we have it, lit nacelles on the Caestus Assault Ram. Now to get on with the second nacelle and the control switch in the main body... Slowly but surely, I'm getting there!

Last edited by Wookiepelt; 10-22-13 at 10:33 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-13, 10:36 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Seem good! The lights are awesome! I'm waiting to see this done

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-13, 10:40 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

This is a pretty ambitious project. Looking forward to seeing the finished results.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-13, 10:49 PM

alasdair's Flag is: United Kingdom

This is looking fantastic so far! I love projects like this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Tags
caestus assault ram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode