And so the challenge begins...
Having been warned that taking on a Forgeworld build was tempting fate, I took on the challenge and got hold for two flyers that would be suitable for our Space Wolves army, namely the Caestus Assault Ram
and the Storm Eagle
. Obviously having never built a Forgeworld model before, I elected to start with the simpler one. So this log will now chart the ups and downs of the Caestus Assault Ram build!
For those who don't know this model, its a monster of a flyer based on her stats. This is one from the Imperial Armour Aeronautica (Pgs 30-31). She's a hovering vehicle, flyer & tank (Armour-13,13,11,3HP) with a transport capacity of 10 with the Misericorde so is not affected by the Bulky special rule, i.e. she can deliver 10 Terminators on demand and they can proceed to assault after the ramming move! Oh... forgot to add that prior to the ramming and payload delivery, she would have had fired her Heavy 1, S8, AP1, 18" range, Large Blast Magna-Melta and two Heavy 4, S6, AP4, Twin-linked Blast Firefury Missile Battery! All that for 275 points!!! Now you know why we HAD to have her!
OK, enough stats waffling here. On to the project itself...
First up, I spent the whole Sunday afternoon cutting, de-burring, and tidying up as best as I could all 22 pieces that would eventually make up the model. This was then subjected to the mandatory fairy liquid scrub-down to get rid of all the resin release agent that is still coated on all the components. Here's the result of the day's cutting and washing.
After that, I started a trial assembly of the starboard Nacelle as it was regularly highlighted online that there were major Assault Ramp alignment issues with this particular side. True to form, the bottom hole for the ramp on the starboard Nacelle top piece was a good 2mm higher than it should be. This resulted in a cocked ramp when it was put together. So it was simple case of extending the hole down by 2mm with the dremel tool and filling out the rest with green-stuff. So this is what I've ended up with:
With that done, I've now primed the 4 nacelle components (on the inside only) for painting/detailing before I assemble it all up.
So this is where we stand at the moment. I'll update with more progress on this as I continue with this challenge... watch this space!