Kill for the living, kill for the dead. - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-13, 08:59 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

A Tut for the shields would be awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-09-13, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Blissful Brushes's Flag is: England

@Ddraig Cymry : Thank you very much Just the painting then lol
@Jacobite : The tutorial's a'comin'! It'll be in the next update

The warriors of the legions are the Emperor's ultimate soldiers. They are drawn from the hardest walks of life while they are still children and turned into super-humans. When I first saw them, hundreds of them, massive in their plate, ranked before their leader it was the first time I felt true fear. It is images like this that are spread by the Remembrancers to demonstrate the glory of the Imperium.
What they should show is a single legionary on the field, bleeding from a dozen wounds, his armour cracked, his blade notched, but still able to deliver death on a scale that half a company of un-augmented humans would struggle to match. That is the true grandeur of the legions. Warriors not indestructible, but willing to take such punishment for the Emperor's cause without a thought for their own protection. Never before have I seen such courage and power, nor felt such an overwhelming fear of being caught in their path.
They truly are the Angels of Death.

Luna Wolves XIV Company, Assault Squad IV. Fully painted, just needs a decent photo from a now non-existant light box...all I want for Christmas...

As ever, any comments, criticism or questions are more than welcome!!

Come take a look at my work:
The Bloody Twelfth, The Lords of the Sands

Luna Wolves 14th Company

For my 14th Company Novella

Grimdark Orks

I do commissions, email/pm me:
Blissful Brushes

I always look to improve, as such I always look for ways other people can improve and what elements are good already, please bear that in mind if you ever think any of my comments are overly critical: it's not personal!
Strive for excellence in all that you do.

Blissful Brushes.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-09-13, 01:30 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Looking very good there Bliss, nice and bloody. I'll give your new fluff a read through tonight by the way.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-30-13, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

@Jacobite : It turns out that the tutorial isn't on its way...I packed up my stuff for Christmas and haven't unpacked the box with the shield WIPs in yet lol! I'll finish it though, I promise!

Happy New Year everyone!! (tomorrow's close enough)

These are the WIPs of my next Luna Wolf. Anyway, onto the juicier stuff, here's the images. I'm hopefully going to get some paint onto him tomorrow after I tidy up a few things on here and find my airbrush compressor...

If anyone is curious as to how something was achieved, don't hesitate to ask; any comments, questions or criticism are more than welcome.

Luna Wolves 14th Company

Grimdark Orks

Blissful Brushes

I always look to improve, as such I always look for ways other people can improve and what elements are good already, please bear that in mind if you ever think any of my comments are overly critical: it's not personal!

Blissful Brushes.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-31-13, 01:58 PM

Ddraig Cymry's Flag is: USA

Nice, that posing is excellent! What kit did the axe come from?
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-31-13, 09:49 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Awesome work as usual, have you added height to those legs? And also how does one loose a air compressor?
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-14, 06:50 PM

Dakingofchaos's Flag is: United Kingdom

I love this log! Excellent blend of fluff and modelling. A small niggle for me is on your model with the airbrushed sword, the wrist looks off at a wrong angle to me; I feel like the guard on the sword is too long for his hand.

'If you fail to prepare then you'd better prepare to fail'
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-14, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

@Ddraig Cymry : It is from the Sanguiniary Guard set. The arms are the from the two-handed axe part (the one with the double headed axe), while the head is from the standard power axe that comes in the box. Lovely power weapons in there, even more useful if you can get rid of the myriad Blood Angels symbology that cover the damn things.

@Jacobite : How does one lose an air compressor? Such a silly question if you knew me! I took it home for Christmas from uni, then Dad tidied up, and I found it in the garage loft the next day :/ As far as the Marine goes, I've added some height to the legs and to the chest. Roughly a 2mm spacer at the top of each thigh, then 2mm at the abdomen, and 2mm either side of the chest and between the chest plates to broaden it.

@Dakingofchaos : Thanks a lot!! Rest assured that there will be more fluff on the way, it's just that the majority of my writing is being dominated by this thing I call a pain in the... while many others may refer to it as a dissertation. As far as the wrist goes, I see your point, though at that stage it was just stuck on with wet GS to pose roughly and it had fallen a bit, and ye, I wasn't overly happy with the guard either but I wasn't in the mood to play about with it at the time!!

Here's a scale shot between the marine and a Vostroyan IG (I don't possess any of the stock Cadians that people always seem to use for scale shots, not built at any rate). As you can see the top of where his head would be if you ignore the bearskin and the raised base of the marine is mid-upper chest. This is what I personally imagine a marine's proportions to be like, if anyone has any thoughts/comments with regards to this please put them to me. If there are any glaring issues I'd prefer that they were rectified as of marine numero 3 rather than someone saying 'oh by the way...' when I'm three squads in!

Oh, and this is the PIP of the marine incase anyone was wondering. I tried some zenithal highlighting with the airbrush, I'm not sure how it's gone, so I'll have to wait for the finished piece for a true verdict, but it does seem a bit stark at the moment, though perhaps that's because of the pose not allowing much of the model to the light.

I'll have the WIPs of my Khorne Daemon Prince up tomorrow, he's in a delicate stage at the moment and I didn't want to move him.

If anyone has any questions, comments, criticism (but not a gag order!!) please fire away!!! It helps a lot to focus projects down to the nitty gritty.
-Blissful Brushes-

Luna Wolves 14th Company

Grimdark Orks

Blissful Brushes

Blissful Brushes.

Last edited by Blissful Brushes; 05-08-14 at 02:34 PM.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-14, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Wow, it's been a while! I've not really done much in the way of Luna Wolves really, and my Ultramarines are a bit too close to post-Heresy to be anywhere but off-topic on this board.
Though I am thinking of Heresying them up, with the odd piece of MkVI being the highest armour denomination, and the rest just being Greenstuffed from the standard tactical box-sets, just because I like 30k too much...but I also want them to be First Company...dilemma!

Onto a couple of bits that I've been doing in my hiatus from this log then..

I got my mate back home to take a decent photo of the first completed Luna Wolf, and he certainly looks better in a decent photograph! I've written some fluff for him too, because I'm procrastinating (this essay is hurting..)

It’s been a while I’ve been this exhausted, I thought wryly as I bisected yet another soldier. That said, I suppose, as I mused to myself, it has been a while since I fought another marine outside the cages.
It was over in in a few short seconds, the rush of ex-Imperial Army soldiers petering out as they met our blades and bullets, my recently repainted pearly white armour awash with blood and smoke.
It was then that the fight would begin again in earnest. We all knew this. The soldiers hadn’t stopped coming because they’d lost momentum. They’d stopped coming because their mission was to hold us up. It was our mobility that was causing the traitors so much trouble. Even now, after having heard the reports of Isstvan it was hard to believe, hard to call warriors who had been our brothers enemy. Harder yet to believe that they were camped outside our city walls attempting to lay waste to all that we held dear.
Now they came for us. Warriors of Iron. The Fourth. A melancholy breed indeed, but good in a fight. They die hard. Out of all of the legions, other than the World Eaters, it was the Fourth who surprised me least, they were always bitter, always angry. They were given the bad jobs and Perturabo wasn’t popular, always overlooked, mocked. It ground at their spirit, and then Olympia…we’d all heard about that.
They moved with perfect economy, bolters sweeping around corners, grenades thrown through entrances, Salamander, Iron Hand and Raven Guard kill trophies hanging from their belts, keen to add the Luna Wolves to their collections.
“Steady lads, give ‘em a volley then get your iron into them.” Sergeant Artos spoke confidently down the vox. “You know the drill.”
As they rounded that last corner we were waiting for them.
“Fire!” Artos roared.
Three fell, dead. One dropped wounded, his arm seared clean by a melta gun.
“Into them Venatores, for the Emperor and the honour of the legion!”
I took the first shot onto my chest, knocking me back with a wince of pain. Then I was among them, goring my blade up through the groin cabling of the first, my oath of moment flapping in the wind. I felt the blood wash up my chest. A quick squeeze of my blade’s trigger cleaned it of the detritus of war: mangled ceramite and muscle. The next came for me, with a short-hafted siege axe, his bolter empty.
I took the blow onto my shield, allowing the softer metal to catch and hold the head while I butted him and twisted my arm away from him. My other hand released the chainsword and reached for his belt, drawing and stabbing him through the throat in less time than it takes to tell. I was screaming, my face awash with blood as I wrenched the dagger out of his body.
Then, silence. Just the eerie whistle of the wind blowing away the smell of cordite and blood.
Twenty short seconds had left twelve dead marines, two of ours. Ten of theirs.
As I crouched by the dying Iron Warrior, sucking in oxygen I gasped, “welcome to Aesir traitor.”

+++
Siege of Aesir
+++

Since this model a lot has happened with regards to how I approach truescaling. From now onwards the chest will be a little bit smaller, and the legs, specifically the thighs, will be broader (everyday's a leg day!) because a lot of the comments that I've had have been that he needs to get squatting a bit more, so squat he shall!

For the marines I have that are on foot, I will be organising them into a Reaver army, and with the advent of this unbound malarky, I should be able to field some nice fluffy lists without having to have the two least mobile HQ choices holding up my line (Malgohurst, and a Master of Signals; neither of which can jump pack, or do what I want).
The next FW order that I make will depend entirely on whether I have a job for one, and if I do, how feasible it is to truescale Bikes. If it is, I want 60 Outriders.

I've been working on two reavers then. The first is a fairly run-of-the-mill MkIV, though I need to see how he shapes up bulk-wise to the second.

The second is modelled on the Massacre Artwork on the Reavers' page:

This is my current progress on it. As yet, I'm a bit stuck on how to proceed with the Eye of Horus in the middle. I was thinking of a crescent moon perhaps.

Luna Wolves 14th Company

Grimdark Orks

Blissful Brushes

Blissful Brushes.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-14, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Right then, so it's been quite a while since I've done anything to this blog; much of the modelling that I have done has been fairly minimal and not really worth writing or photographing to be honest.

Now that I've got to get 600 points built and painted for a campaign at the end of September I've got back into the swing of things with 10 marines at various stages of completion. I present to you today the first of said marines.

Proportionally, this is what I'm settling with. The legs have been bulked up as suggested, and I've built up the arms so that the look a little bit less spindly. Whether I do anything with the hands remains to be seen. I'm personally not in favour of resculpting/buying a load of GK terminator hands to use because it'll be a right pain, but if it's necessary, it's necessary.

I've decided that I'd sculpt the lower plates of shoulder armour in because the terminator pad doesn't quite fit as snug as I'd like. To which end, I'll probably have to have a little play to try and make it a bit better. On a practical note, however, the pad would need to be able to move with the shoulder in order to be remotely effective and thus could not be as tight to the rest of the armour as the standard models imply. That's what I'm going with anyway.

On the whole I'm pretty chuffed with it, he looks massive compared to a normal marine/human let alone Tau. My biggest conundrum is basing: 25mm or 40. In gaming terms, is a 40mm ok for PA marines?

List-wise for the campaign my options are pretty limited. What I think is the best option is:

Master of Signal
naked 15 man Tactical Squad. (M.O.S will sit with these and give them his signum for the +1 BS) - 5BS Fury of the legion
15 man Tactical Squad with vex, vox extra cb weapons, artificer armour
naked Predator

I don't think I can do much with 600, but that's 31 3+ saves and a pred so should be viable if not awesome.
Any modelling/gaming comments, criticism and platitudes are more than welcome! I bid you all good evening

Luna Wolves 14th Company

Grimdark Orks

Blissful Brushes

Blissful Brushes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Tags
blissful brushes , heresy , horus , luna wolves , space marine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode