Legion Rising - Projects from The Dark Works - Page 34 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #331 of 331 (permalink) Old 09-14-20, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

Subtle Discord's Flag is: Canada

Come for the shiny pictures of my newest creation, but please stay for the important information down below.

Another shorter post carved from the larger blob of text Iím working on. With several things that I want to talk about, but those things are also pulling me in several directions, I wanted to get this part out sooner rather than later so I can solicit some ideas, input, and feedback. But first, a distraction to lure people in...

In my humble opinion, the new Scorpius model is so on-the-nose as a transport, taking so many cues from 20th-century landing craft, that it simply falls flat when it's assembled as the Disintegrator; it really seems like something that was excellent as the primary Dunerider version and then ham-fisted and forced into the Disintegrator version. It's that damn side profile silhouette that simply doesn't go away when you build it as the Disintegrator, even with the turret. Nope, I wanted to come up with a different solution.

∙ I had a Goliath Truck for several years that I wanted to change into an artillery vehicle, and this was the perfect opportunity.

More on the Duneriders and other stuff related to them later, but for now, this is what I came up with; the Disintegrator artillery and support truck. I'm quite pleased with the eclectic mix of weapons that create what I think is a very AdMech look to the model. A forward operating unit with nutrient paste, ammunition, spare parts, lubricants, fluids, and batteries of all sizes, in a pinch for frontline troops, while also proving close artillery support. Yep, I think that'll work just fine.

I did use my casting skills for a tiny bit of mischief, making a mould of the Servitor bits for the turret, but I'm still paying the full price of admission by using it on a complete Goliath model, and it'll never be used for profit, so that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Besides, the Omnissiah compelled me to do it! *Chatters in binary*

∙ It seemed like coming up with a counts-as for the Disruptor Missiles was going to be a challenge; doubling the Heavy Stubber barrels on the other hand was straightforward.

At first, I was considering how I could create/add a missile weapon system of some sort and I just wasn't finding any inspiration. Then I noticed that the standard profile of Eradication Beamer (36", Hvy.D6, S8, AP-2, D-D3) is so close to the Disruptor Missiles (36", Hvy.D6, S7, AP-2, D-D3) that I quickly came up with this solution; meet the Atrum Laboris pattern Disruptor Beam. Note: Originally a subcomponent of a larger device, the actual purpose that this beam was intended for is lost to time, but it does horrible things to whatever it's pointed at when activated, so now, it's a weapon.

With three Heavy Stubbers on the Disintegrator, I needed to do something to help convey them so I doubled the barrels on the turret as the most straightforward solution; I was considering a three-barrel rotary-style weapon but it was just too bulky for my taste when I mocked it up. I'm tempted to build another Servitor to ride on the back equipped with a Hvy. Stubber to represent the third but thatís easy to add at any point if I decide to do it. As much as I like enhancing many of my builds with 3D modeled/printed components I also really enjoy the times where I can create something like this, with just bashing together the parts that are in the existing kits with a bit of styrene.

∙ More coming soon from the depths of Atrum Laboris, but now that I have your attention please find your way to the information below.

I finally got the opportunity to apply to a small business assistance program thatís been offered by my city that Iíve been trying to get in to for a few years, and in the time since I was last able to write Iíve been accepted and Iíll be doing it over the next four months or so. Business plans, market research, taxes, permits, insurance, bookkeeping, etc., and writing, writing, writing, so much writing, and all the wonderful bureaucratic stuff that Iíve gottaí figure out for the next steps of expansion. Even if this is something that can be delegated in the future to someone more suited I simply canít do that yet, and even when I can, I still need to have a general understanding of which way is up with all of the paperwork, permits, projections, plans, and such.

As always, Iím happy to be making progress but itís going to be an interesting several months as I do this and get comfortable teaching (more on that in a future post). However, I also see it as just the kick in the pants I need to sort this stuff out and know Iím doing everything by-the-book going forward. Whatís that thing they say? You need to get out of your comfort zone if youíre going to improve and discover opportunities to take advantage of, and youíll know youíre out of our comfort zone when you start suffering minor panic attacks?! Something like that, right?

So, looking at some of the things Iíll need to do it will obviously include market research and I think I can already see an opportunity to tap a few communities online for some ideas, input, and feedback. While online forums have been fading for quite some time with the rise of social media I think the modest community that read what I post is a real asset and a valuable collective opinion directly from a selective group of hobbyists I want to hear from. By now, with the number of times I've been given valuable input, perspective, or support, that has been completely unexpected but very welcome, encouraging, and/or insightful, I knew I should see if anyone who's following here has any suggestions.

I know I can look to the strength of Games Workshop and the successful growth of other tabletop games like X-Wing for something of a cornerstone to how the tabletop gaming industry is healthy with lots of money involved. But itís also an obscure industry that kindaí straddles several markets/products/industries that makes me think itíll be a bit harder to find other compelling information, data, trends, etc., in typical locations. Can anyone who's reading offer some ideas that Iím not coming up with, where I might consider looking for information about the tabletop gaming industry in broader business terms?

I also know I can also find many other similar producers that I can use as an example of the potential market and to compare and contract my studio to the competition and how I plan to differentiate my studio from them. But Iím wondering if there are other ways I can showcase the potential of what my studio will do that Iím not thinking about. So yeah, does anyone have any ideas in this vein; industry outlook, growth potential, industry/market trends, promotion ideas, other random input, or thoughts you think would be useful?

As I said, this will be ongoing for several months so there should be some updates over the coming weeks and thereís a good chance Iíll be coming back to ask more questions and/or to look for input on something Iím nothing thinking about right now. If you have something youíd like to contribute please feel free to add it here or send it to me in a PM if youíd rather be more direct. I have no idea if this will pay off but it doesnít hurt to try, and as I said before, Iíve been so pleasantly surprised by unexpected and useful input over the years Iíve got a good feeling a few people out there might have a few words of wisdom they can spare.

I know I keep saying it, and up to this point it feels like the steps have been so very slow-and-steady, but now I think all the pieces are settling into place that will let the momentum start taking holdÖ as long as the rest of the world would like to co-operate and not fall apart.
Old Man78 likes this.

"The old galaxy is dying, and the new galaxy struggles to be born; now is the time of monsters."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Tags
black legion , kit bashing , resin casting , scratch building , tools

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode