Legion Rising - Projects from The Dark Works - Page 26 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #251 of 314 (permalink) Old 08-18-18, 06:02 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

I wish you good fortune. I keep checking back to your store but the items I really dig are usually out of stock. I'd love to see you succeed; you make beautiful stuff!
Subtle Discord likes this.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #252 of 314 (permalink) Old 08-18-18, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Subtle Discord's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man78 View Post
Liking what you are doing with the robot ammo feeds, I have been experimenting myself (unsuccessfully) to model ammo feeds myself, as I want to do twin auto cannon dreadnoughts with impractical but cool roping ammo feeds. Kudos on your efforts
Thanks! As is typical for me it's a distracting side project that popped into my brain and wouldn't leave until I explored it some. I did manage to 3D print some components but I screwed up and forgot to mix the resin properly so they prints didn't turn out. I'll be showing them at some time in the future after I get it right.

Some people in other corners of the internet said they were considering and/or tired the same thing for Dreadnaughts and suggested that I consider something suited to them in the future. I want to create all manner of weapon systems for all sorts of vehicles, so this is something that's going to get added to the 'great list of ideas I wanna do'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
I wish you good fortune. I keep checking back to your store but the items I really dig are usually out of stock. I'd love to see you succeed; you make beautiful stuff!
Thanks for the feedback and support. Slowly but surely I will be redesigning and restocking everything and adding lots of new stuff along the way. As I alluded to in my looooong post, right now I'm just running out of everything, time, materials, equipment capacity, etc., so I need to juggle and focus on one thing while others wait their turn. It can be frustrating and it's a big part that's forcing me to accept that I need to start to create some additional funding if I'm going to accelerate the process. That said, I'll always aim to keep communicating as I move along the path I'm taking, so stay tuned going forward and I'll do my best to keep everyone in the loop.

"The old galaxy is dying, and the new galaxy struggles to be born; now is the time of monsters."

post #253 of 314 (permalink) Old 08-18-18, 09:16 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Sounds good, man. I'll keep checking back.

I'm moving house soon, so I'm hoping to get back to minutes afterwards. Once your go fund me is launched.
Subtle Discord likes this.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

post #254 of 314 (permalink) Old 08-27-18, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

"The old galaxy is dying, and the new galaxy struggles to be born; now is the time of monsters."

post #255 of 314 (permalink) Old 08-27-18, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

post #256 of 314 (permalink) Old 09-10-18, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

+++ External Vox ∙ "The fault in your motivation impulses is obvious; you have far too much grey matter for your required duties. Unnecessary compulsions for self-preservation can easily be alleviated with the correct procedure." +++

post #257 of 314 (permalink) Old 10-13-18, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

+++ Completion QuotasOn Target +++Magnetic Coupling Solution ∙ Successful +++ Coupling Assemblies∙ Complete +++ General Assembly∙ Ongoing..." +++

One little, two little, three little Onagers! Still unable to find the right mix of time and motivation to get more paint on plastic, I've stayed focused on prep and assembling of the final models that will make up my starting AdMech list. More ramblings n' stuff...soon'ish..

post #258 of 314 (permalink) Old 10-18-18, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Grrr! Ok life, enough distractions! *sigh* With a plumbing problem mostly sorted out, for now, itís time to get back on track; ah, the joys of home mortgage-ship Ė you donít own it yet, but you gottaí keep it all working. Fun fun! *mutters*

With home maintenance, a holiday weekend out of the city, work at the college, and other random distractions or delays, Iíve lost my focus a bit. However, I do have my GoFundMe campaign finally set up for those who might be in a position to make an investment in the future of the studio, and Iíve also started posting images over on Pinterest for anyone who is more interested in the visuals of Legion Rising and The Dark Works without all the rambling. Both will be getting regular updates as I get settled back into a proper routine again.

Itís time to get out of this funk Iím finding myself in and start pushing outside of my comfort zones again, both creatively and with regards to exposure. Iíve got to get 3D modelling again and get on with marketing the studio more seriously. The next batch of kits is 90% 3D modelled but theyíre going to be larger and consume more materials to produce so Iíve been a bit hesitant; 3D modelling can also be a bit of a trap for me, since I enjoy it so much itís easy to get enthralled by it and spend too much time on projects that are before their time. Expect to see several new kits sooner rather than later and hopefully, the pace will continue to maintain and increase.

On the flip side, Iím getting ready to start contacting some hubs of the hobby in an effort to introduce myself and The Dark Works to a larger audience, with the plan being to tie it in with my next round of kits and models. Any help to spread the word, offer suggestions, input, or feedback would be most welcome. Itís one thing to post W.I.P. articles in smaller corners of the internet but now Iíve got to kick myself in the pants to get out and take this to the next level. Iím eagerly dreading this on some level, but Iíll get over itÖ I think. Not much choice, really.

Being an oh so tempting distraction that Iím better off without, for now, Iím going to put my personal projects on the back burner for the next while. Coming into the final stretch with building, the glimmer of a distant light at the end of the tunnel is starting to become visible. Iíll get back to rationing more time to my personal projects in a while, but for now hereís a little more progress on the Onager Spearhead Detachment for the list.

Holy tons of fiddly bits Batman! Cables, and ladders, and guardrails, oh my! Looks like weíll need to build our way out!

Finally getting close to completing them, and yep, the Onager is a great model, but thereís a reason why the Mechanicus line looks so great, and itís all the flippiní bits-and-pieces that need to be dealt with! The bulk of the build is done, but there are still so many damn bits to actually get it properly finished Iím kindaí glad Iím giving it a break for a bit.

One small tweak to the build so far that Iím particularly pleased with is adding the additional Heavy Stubber under the hull in the provided groove. Itíll need a bit of scratch building to connect it in a more complete way, but itís all mostly hidden from sight so itíll be a simple enough job. Iím also going to replace the reactor on the back, the convex detail on the weapons, and the armour plates on the legs with custom 3D printed bits similar to the Dragoons, but thatís another article for another day.

With the Kastelan ĎBots cleaned up and ready for assembly these are the last of the models required for the first 1,850 center to the collection. Once these are done the final stretch really is to get paint on the second half(ish) of the army. Iíve got some close combat units waiting their turn and already have an urge to get back to the Knight/s to add some additional flexibility to the list, but Iím really looking forward to getting this main block done.

I managed to damage the rear hull plate on one of the Onagers and figured Iíd roll with it and add some more superficial damage to the model.

I have a rule that when I drop something, I donít roll my chair as I try to find the bit I just dropped. Odds are slim, but soon-or-later you will roll over the component you just dropped as it lands in a blind spot behind the wheel of the chair. Sure enough, I was lax and managed to do just that, flattening half of the rivets and imprinting the cement floor texture into the part. The rivets I can replace, but it looks like this one is going to be an experiment; I had planned on adding some dings, dents, and scratches to the feet of all of the Onagers but since this happened I figured Iíd rough this one up some more to see how it turns out.

Iím of two minds about it at this point. Iím worried that Iíve overdone it and Iím not going to like it once itís painted. Or, that Iím going to like it too much when itís finished and want to do more with the same treatment. In an attempt to get somewhat authentic looking minor dents and scratches I was very careful how I applied the damage. Itís a bit of a time-consuming process so I want to see if I can make it work before I subject other models to the process.

I knew I wanted custom decals for this project, but I wasnít looking forward to doing all the layout, thanks to my hobby-OCD.

I canít really completely finish the models until this step is done, so I had to get it over with soon-or-later. The small is 4x4mm for infantry, the medium is 6x6mm for light vehicles/íbots, and the large is 8x8mm for larger vehicles/íbots. Iím also working on a second sheet with the complete Atrum Laboris icon including the cog and text in various sizes and iterations for general use, but Iíve only just started work on that sheet. A somewhat tedious but necessary final step that will soon be done.

More updates coming from the studio soon, as I administer the rights of activation to Servitor Solus and get back to making the next round of new kits. Time to get over the anxiety and get things really going. Iíve got the skills, tools, and ideas, what the heck am I waiting for? Stay tunedÖ

post #259 of 314 (permalink) Old 10-22-18, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

The larger components are really cutting it close, but they fit!

The first test prints are done for these Tracks and Siege Ram and there are a few issues that I need to deal with. Adding the supports used during printing really is a bit of an art and Iím still perfecting the process; there are a few spots where the parts didnít form quite right and naturally thatís no good. Iím also getting used to fit tolerances and just how small gaps can be in parts that are meant to fit together. The Siege Ram goes together nicely, but the Tracks are far too tight so they needed a bit of tweaking.

Beyond the minor issues, everything is looking great. As kits get larger Iíll need to get more creative with how Iíll split things up to fit the limits of Solus, but for now, thatís not going to be an issue. Once these kits are perfected, the first Armour kits are up next. Iíll get Servitor Solus back to work and then Iíll do another quick update with some images of the actual prints on the Rhino.

post #260 of 314 (permalink) Old 10-22-18, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

While there was a bit of deformation in a few spots on the Siege Ram it didnít affect any of the final fit, which turned out perfectly.

Forever difficult to photograph, I think Iím starting to get it with this bright red resin. The more light you hit it with the better, giving the details a bit more contract. Itís still a rather washed out, but it helps some. In the near future, Iíll be switching using a lower cost grey resin for test prints and that should help considerably when it comes to photographing experiments and test prints.

I just need to change up how I do the supports on the Siege Ram but otherwise its good-to-go. Basically, some of the corners and a few edges were deformed because I didnít make the supports dense enough. Iíve got the hang of it for the most part, but thereís obviously still a bit of trial-and-error for some things.

The Tracks had some issues with the fit of the links where the parts connect but they fit the model nicely and the Siege Ram cooperates too.

The links in the Tracks were way too tight (even managed to break one) and required lots of filing to get them to fit nicely. Since I modelled these before I had a chance to get any of my designs 3D printed, let along before I got Servitor Solus, itís to be expected really. Iím mostly pleased with how well all of the parts fit on the Rhino chassis since that tells me that the 3D model that I used to build kits is accurate enough for the task. The upcoming Armour kits will be the next test for how accurate the base model is.

Since the Siege Ram doesnít need to actually conform to the model like the tracks itís much more straightforward to get the fit right and provide proper clearance. In this case, Iím glad to see how well Solus handled the thick slab that makes up the front ram. That bodes well for future slabs of armour and the like. Theyíll gobble up a lot of resin to be printed but shouldnít have any problems with accuracy.

The next test print of the tracks was able to catch up with this update so hereís a look at the final fit and finish of the two kits.

With a few tweaks to the design, the second run of the tracks was much better. Just look at that fit! Thank you, Solus! Now I just need to get the masters printed with the gates and sprue attached, ready for casting. Same goes for the Siege Ram which will be the first up to get sent off to Servitor Solus. As mentioned, once I get these masters printed properly expect to see some test prints for the first larger Armour kit for the Rhino/Predator, and perhaps a few weapon systems as a brief diversion after that, before turning my gaze towards the venerable Land Raider chassis. Iím going to try to push my modelling skills with the some of the Armour concepts, so stay tuned as I start to experiment with some warp-touched inspiration, once Iím sure of the fit with the starting concepts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Tags
black legion , kit bashing , resin casting , scratch building , tools

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode