Legion Rising - Projects from The Dark Works - Page 24 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #231 of 304 (permalink) Old 05-02-18, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Subtle Discord's Flag is: Canada

What a glorious day, and completely fitting since it happens to be May 1st; not only a day to celebrate the onset of spring but also a day to recognize workersí rights. After a late April cold snap that had it snowing in my area when itís usually raining, today is finally warm enough to let me open up the windows to the studio and let some fresh spring air in. Conversely, as someone who believes that the world is shifting into a new era that will see major changes in how many will perceive and engage in work, I can identify only too well with the idea of workers having control over their circumstances and fate, as I attempt to get my modest studio up-and-running. This actually touches on a topic I want to elaborate on more as I consider the future of the studio and just how I want it to be structured internally and within the marketplace; I see what I think is an opportunity to create something new and unique to/for the tabletop gaming community, but I digress for now, as I need to get my own start-up issues sorted out before I seriously start considering my next step/s. So, to that end, I woke up today to a new set of components completed by Servitor Solus as I sleptÖ

ďThatíll do pigÖ Thatíll do.Ē - Babe (Yes, Iím an oddly eclectic mix of cultural references) Iíll need to do a few more prints to ensure that these results will be consistent, but this is looking really good!

As recommended by the manufacturer I was initially printing at 25Ķ XY resolution to get everything setup and running. Itís amazingly precise but it only provides a build area of 48x27mm to work with. While many things can actually fit in this area and larger objects can be cut down (and assembled after printing but before mould making), itís still a very cramped space to work with despite the excellent resolution. The resolution was so fine that I was hoping that printing at 42Ķ XY wouldnít impact the quality too much, but I wouldnít know until I gave it a try.

So since I needed to adjust the setup anyhow I chose to switch to the 42Ķ XY resolution which will provide a much more useful 80x45mm build area. For this print, I also experimented with a 15Ķ Z (layer) resolution, where Iíve been using 25Ķ Z (layer) resolution up to this point. While there is a slight drop in print quality it really is so subtle that I donít think it will be an issue at all; a layer of primer and a few layers of paint should deal the vast majority of any issues since most are as small as flaws you find in a styrene injection moulded GW kit. A tiny bit of sanding should deal with any of the Ďbadí spots and I use the word loosely since even the Ďbadí spots are still really very good. Once Iím more confident in the calibration Iíll do some painting tests to see what the threshold is to aim for to avoid issues.

Iím still working out the finer points of support placement, so I had a few small issues with some surfaces deforming just a little bit with this print.

The software used to generate the supports can do it automatically, but it tends to be very heavy-handed and lacks accuracy so lots of time is spent cleaning up what was created in an effort to save time. Iíve since started placing my own supports and have gotten good results, but there are a few situations that I need more practice dealing with. Iíve had very few absolute failures but I have had a few issues with deformation due to poor support placement. Not only do supports provide material to an overhang point making it possible to form correctly, they also hold the component steady during the print process to ensure accuracy. Getting the support right has a considerable impact on the final results on several levels.

Even when everything is setup correctly some quirk can occasionally happen with the print and cause a deformation or failure, especially if the object particularly is small or involves unique angles. Iíve come to the conclusion that I may need to print multiples of some objects and select the successful ones out of the batch for final use. Not a major hurdle, but itís good to note that itís not an absolute guarantee something will work, even if it did in a previous print. Itís still very reliable, just not absolutely guaranteed.

ďAlright Mr. DeMille, Iím ready for my close-up.Ē - Sunset Blvd. (See, I told you) I hope you like the colour red because itís likely to feature prominently over the coming months and years.

However, itís a colour thatís a bit frustrating to photograph since it really doesnít show contrast all that well. Even trying to tweak the images in Photoshop doesnít really help that much. Thereís just something about this hue of bright red that resists providing the kind of depth in the images that Iím after. Iíll experiment a bit with how I light things going forward and hopefully I can improve on the contrast in the images. Itís not horrible here but itís also not nearly as strong as Iíd prefer it to be.

Like any good experimentation process, taking care to pay attention the different variables as you work through the problem is key. Try not to adjust too many variables at once or it might be hard to determine which one produced a given result or something else unexpected my result. As I was zeroing in on the calibration of Solus the fit of several parts was far too tight; with items I had 3D printed in the past the tolerances I used were good, but they seemed a bit too tight for Solus. So I tweaked the 3D models a bit for this last print and while they worked and fit together some of the parts are actually a bit too loose for my liking now. Again, not a huge problem, but now I need to sit down and really sort out the best practices Iíll need to follow as I do 3D modeling going forward. Since there is a tiny bit of shrinkage during the casting process I need to be sure to get the fit right.

Ok, now itís just down to the fine-tuning and then Iíll get to work trying to produce some actual casting masters. Iíll be focusing on the Rhino (+ Predator) chassis to start and work my way up in the size of the kits Iíll be doing for it. Once Iíve got a good selection for the Rhino Iíll move to the Land Raider and give it similar treatment. Naturally, thereíll be a bit of overlap with a few kits thatíll work on both. From there Iíll consider my options, and itís quite likely that there will be some random creations added to the mix along the way.

Thanks as always for reading and following along, there are some interesting times on the horizon and itís going to be lots of fun exploring the possibilities. Comments, questions, musing, and general ramblings are always welcome. Ideas and food for thought are particularly welcome now as my mind begins to really wrap around the potential that Task Servitor Solus provides to my studio. I will take some time to comment directly to people who have and/or will provide input in the near future, once Iíve got some things sorted out and more time to reflect and reply properly.

"The old galaxy is dying, and the new galaxy struggles to be born; now is the time of monsters."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 304 (permalink) Old 05-10-18, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

+++
++
Comm-Link ∙ Active
+++++++
++++
Information Exchange ∙ Update
++++++

+++ Certamen Pattern Vehicle Weapons + Prototype Component Production ∙ Complete +++ Preparing Full Scale Production ∙ OngoingÖ +++

+++++++
++

+++ Interitus Pattern Missile Launcher + Prototype Fit Tolerance Testing ∙ OngoingÖ +++ Initial Components Produced ∙ Assembly Complete +++

+++++
+++++++++

+++ Interitus Pattern Missile Launcher + Test Assembly ∙ Successful +++ Final Tolerance Adjustments ∙ OngoingÖ +++ Further Updates to Follow ∙ StandbyÖ +++

+++++++
++++
Comm-Link ∙ Active
+++
+++++
++++++
+

"The old galaxy is dying, and the new galaxy struggles to be born; now is the time of monsters."

post #233 of 304 (permalink) Old 05-11-18, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, straight from the vat the parts look like a complete mess but a quick alcohol wash takes care fo that. They're also still slightly soft and rather sticky at that point but a round in the UV oven sorts that out. For just how little I've actually used Solus I think I'm getting the hang of it. Ultimately it's a combination of user skill and knowledge tempered with some luck; you can set everything up correctly and have parts print incorrectly simply due to bad luck. If everything is setup correctly the odds are vastly in your favor but that's not a 100% guarantee it will print correctly or that some other minor issue won't cause some flaws in the print. But simply, all of the amazingly positive results I've been getting more than outweighs any minor issues I may have.

Ok, so I've been a good little Fabricator General up to this point, keeping my focus on studio 3D models intended for production by the Forge World as I calibrate Servitor Solus. But since I've got some Dragoons to build I figured I'd permit myself a small distraction to create a few test bits that can also serve another purpose...

Inspired by the flat angular elements found in Lucius vehicle designs, I created some armour plates that have a more subtle curve and distinct crease lines. Oh, and droopy toes, I also made a few droopy toes.

This is partly a quick personal project, but also a small test to see if I can do something like this on a whim. The parts have some subtle curves that I want to try and challenge Solus with. I've also just had the idea to create some combat weapon arms to replace the clamps that come with kit; ooo... I like that idea. Or maybe I should integrate the Phosphor Serpenta into one of the arms? Hummm, there might be one or two more bits to come for this idea. Stay tuned.

I've tried hard to keep the critical measurement similar to the parts these bits will replace to ensure the fit, but I won't know until I can test them on the model. Fingers crossed that they'll fit, but there's a good chance I'll need to make some adjustments before they sit on the model correctly. Once they're dialed in, however, they could easily become a low-cost kit for the shop (minus the Atrum Laboris elements); in this case, given the price of the model they attach to, I'd want to keep the kit reasonably simple and as low-cost as possible.

These will be getting transmitted to Servitor Solus shortly, so I should have parts-in-hand by tomorrow at the latest. I'll be sure to take a few images of the components fresh from the vat and some of how they fit/look on the model.

post #234 of 304 (permalink) Old 05-14-18, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

Useful distraction time!! One part personal project, one part equipment testing, and one part product development. So, while I was 3d printing some other items that will be used during mould making (more on that in a future article) I added the new Dragoon/Ironstrider parts. With these components, I have since concluded that Servitor Solus is a small piece of the Omnissiah made real and gifted to my Forge World so that I might make my ideas real.

Hereís an image to give an idea of how subtly curved the surfaces is that Iím trying to print; concave or convex, Servitor Solus delivers top quality surfaces.

This is the first attempt at 3D printing the components and they look really good but the fit isnít quite there; the plate is sitting too far away from the leg, the radius that could be matching the round detail of the hip is off, and I didnít leave nearly enough clearance for the hoses that attach to the inside of the leg. That said, the parts look good otherwise and the overall forms are blending with the model nicely, if I do say so myself.

On the left is the first attempt, printed straight vertically. On the right is the second attempt that was tilted 10į to try and improve the surface quality, but it made the result worse.

Iím still unsure if thereís a better sweet spot for the printing angle of this component, but even the first attempt is actually quite good. You can see layering when the light reflects off of the surface, but itís so subtle it can hardly be felt if you drag your fingernail across the surface. Its surfaces like this that have me wondering if a layer of primer and paint will hide the marks or will it be better to refine the surface a bit before mould making. Iíll be sure to do some painting tests at some point to attempt to find out where the tipping point is for this. I want to avoid labour if itís not needed, but surface problems are so rare with parts created by Solus even if I do need to sand a few surfaces before mould making, thatís a small price to pay for all the other things Solus does right.

To the left I sanded the first print with a 600 grit sanding stick just a little bit to get this smooth result. To the right is the part straight from Servitor Solus.

See, the effort to clean up this component is very minor and itís quite easy to get really nice results so itís not that much of an issue to deal with it. Solus does a great job of avoiding these issues on most surfaces but when they do show up theyíre easy to deal with compared to any other 3D prints Iíve worked with in the past. The more I work with Servitor Solus the more Iíve come to conclude that it is some small part of the Omnissiah made real and gifted to my Forge World so that I might make my ideas a reality. Itís far from foolproof but thereís no denying the results, and every test I throw at it has me come away convinced that Solus is more than up to the tasks I will be requiring it to complete in the future.

I show large images to illustrate how seriously Iím taking the issue of quality, I really want to produce some of the best kits on the market and I want people to be able to see for themselves the standards Iím after. Itís taken a little longer than I wanted to get everything up-and-running, but now that Iím in the final testing of Solus I know the last pieces of this first puzzle are falling into place. For now, the first round of mould making is underway so further updates will be coming soon.

Praise be to the power of iteration! The fit of this second attempt is better but itís going to take at least one more round of tweaking to perfect it.

That said, even with a few alignment and clearance issues (thereís still not enough room for the hoses to attach to the inside of the leg Ė Díoh!) I think the parts are turning out quite well. They give the model a unique look without it being too dramatic of a change. Iím particularly happy with how the combat arm attachment turned outÖ

I actually tried to print six of them in a few different poses but five of them failed to print correctly. I already know what went wrong, so this shouldnít happen again in the future.

With all sorts of details just fractions of a millimeter in size I was worried Servitor Solus might not be able to reproduce everything, but right down to the tiny gear teeth around the inside circle of the serrated blade, Solus was up to the task. Heck, each of the teeth on the blade is only 0.8mm tall by 1.0mm wide and theyíre all perfect. Thereís literally no reason why I might want to create details smaller than this, so this really shows that Solus has opened the portal to virtually any idea in my mind becoming a reality, if I can model it in 3D. Interesting times aheadÖ

As always, comments, questions, input, ideas, and general hobby musings are always welcome. Thanks for looking and following along.

*Subtle wanders off to do more 3D modeling*

post #235 of 304 (permalink) Old 05-17-18, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

+++ Neural Congress ∙ Initialized +++ External Vox Vocalizer ∙ Activated + "Third iteration, blessed by the Omnissiah!" + Broadcast Diabolical Laughter ∙ 03 +++ Data Downlink ∙ Ongoing... +++

post #236 of 304 (permalink) Old 05-20-18, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Hereís a bit of a mixed bag with this update. First up I wanted to show some images from the studioís workbench to illustrate what Iím doing to improve and streamline my mould making process. Iím sure thereís a few of you whoíve been reading my recent articles outlining my progress working with Servitor Solus and wondering Ďwhat the heck is taking so long to get casting?!í and I wanted to take a moment to show what Iíve been doing thatís delated me a bit. This is an effort to reduce the labour of producing casting moulds to improve their production in the future, while also aiming for a top quality outcome that will ensure the best possible casts for the customer.

Iíve mentioned it a few times over the years, but Iíll reiterate, I hate Ďsplit mouldsí which are very common in casting resin models; with a split mould you place the object in the mould box and pour one complete block of rubber to completely encase the object, and then cut into the rubber down to the master object to free it from the mould rubber. While this is a method that saves labour during the mold making process it comes with problems that I simply despise. Not only can you damage the casting master as you cut it free, if the object is small and/or thin it can be very difficult if not impossible to cut the item free in a clean manner; even if you can cut the item free it generally creates an uneven mould line that you have very little control over. As such, they tend to Ďslipí rather easily producing really obvious mould lines at best and horrible detail ruining mould slips at worse. Ever see a really nice resin cast model with a big ugly mould line/slip in a rather odd/obvious location? You can thank quickly made split moulds used/run as quickly as possible for that.

My studio will Never use split moulds. By producing a two-part mould extra time and labour is needed but you can have complete control over where the mould line goes and you can produce a mould that literally resists mould slipping and therefore creates almost invisible mould lines almost every time. Done right, this can also help the mould open and close making it easier to extract the components without damaging the mould and/or badly warping the part. Given the cost of RTV rubber, putting some extra labour into making a mould that can be in use for years to produce dozens of copies of an object seems like a shrewd investment; since it also means that it noticeably improves the quality of the components produced, this is simply a no-brainer choice for the studio to standby.

A quick first point, the RTV rubber is not binding to the surface of the 3D prints made by Solus as I make the moulds. This small detail is a huge positive for the studio. Past 3D prints made with the PolyJet process (what Shapeways uses) creates components that have a porous surface that needs to be properly sealed before making moulds, or the rubber binds with the object causing all sorts of problems. Servitor Solus makes parts with such a refined and smooth surfaces this issue simply doesnít happen; to say this is a good outcome would be a huge understatement. Itís not something most people might even concern themselves with, but know that Iím the kind of perfectionist that does it on your behalf.

Encouraged by the accuracy that Solus has been achieving Iíve been working out the tolerances to produce Ďinsertsí that fit into the negative space of parts during the mould making process.

If an object youíre casting has a nice flat back itís a simple process of laying it on the casting clay, adding the vents/gates, and pouring RTV rubber over the item; once the first half is cured flip the mould, remove the casting clay, and pour the second half. Now, if the object has all-around details with no obvious flat side and/or has obvious overhangs and/or holes that will lock the item in the rubber, you need to find some way to back-fill them to block the rubber in the first half of the mould. Up to this point I did this by hand using the casting clay, sharp blades, and sculpting tools to fill in these kinds of locations. This is where labour in creating a two-part mould can add up, and every time the mould wears out the process needs to be repeated. Iíll do it if I have to, but I wanted to find a better way.

With Servitor Solus completely at my disposal, opposed to outsourcing my 3D printing, I was able to do the trial-and-error necessary to get the tolerances as tight as I could manage to create standardized inserts for the components that will benefit from them. The example above is quite simple, but even with more complex objects creating a seat to occupy the negative area is reasonably straightforward in Solidworks. So, in most cases where itís needed I should be able to create an insert for a component to simplify the process; place the object on the insert to make one side flat, place them on the clay, add the vents/gates, pour the rubber, cure the first half and flip, remove the clay, pull out the inserts, and pour the second half of the mould. Also, note how doing it this way will have the mould line follow the inside corner/edge perfectly making it really easy to clean up.

The last hurdle Iím trying to figure out with this process is how to better seal the paper-thin gap between the insert and the component so it resists the RTV rubber from seeping in between the two objects. If itís not sealed the pressure curing process I use on my moulds creates a film of rubber that needs to be cleaned up before pouring the second half of the mould. Not a huge deal but it would be nice to avoid it to further streamline the process. Iím researching if thereís a readymade product that can do the job but it might just be as simple as adding a bit of petroleum gel in the gap and cleaning the edge. So, a few more tests are still ongoing to see if I can solve this, but the overall idea of making precision fit inserts in general seems to be viable thanks to how well Solus works.

All that said, the first moulds for the Pintle Weapon Kit (Certamen Mk.1, 2, 3) will be starting to finish over the next few days and the first casts and test assemblies will follow shortly after; I canít wait to see the parts in grey resin. With limited equipment right now mould making is a bit of a catch-22, since I need to use my casting chambers to create my moulds the process unfortunately stops me from being able to cast, and vice-versa. Naturally, more chambers are planned, but for now itís an annoying reality.

Ok, with all of that word salad dished out, letís have last look (for now) at the final successful iteration of the Dragoon/Ironstrider bits to see how they turned out, shall we?

Since the red color tends to mute the contrast in the parts, hereís a screenshot of the last bits I did for the Dragoon/Ironstrider in Solidworks.

The first print I did of the Phosphor Serpenta arm was good but it didnít quite Ďfeelí right to me and seemed a bit heavy; after it was commented that it seemed a bit off balance I figured it wouldnít hurt to tweak the 3D model a bit. In the above image the back end of the weapon has been slimmed down a little to remove a bit of bulk while still keeping the same form, opposed to the Serpenta in the photograph below. Itís a subtle change but I think it suits the arm better now. These bits were a bit of a distraction within a distraction, but Iím so pleased with how all the components turned out Iím glad I took the time to make the extra bits. The components only change, what, 5-10% of the model? But it really does give the model a distinct look while not diverging too much.

After the second iteration that missed the mark it dawned on me what to do to quickly zero in on the fit I was trying to achieve.

The first parts were done Ďblindí by taking measurements of the existing components and model which will work to get the general shape but will struggle to get a really exact match. Once a printed component can be placed on the model there is something to provide solid reference points to work with. I simply sketched the shapes of the model details I was trying to conform to (the round cap of the hip and the oval area of the pipe connections) how they appeared out of alignment, then lock the sketch so it couldnít move, and altered the 3D model to conform to the sketchÖ And Iíll be damned if it didnít work as well as I could have hoped. Again, itís a little technique thatís actually a large insight that will be very useful for many future projects where Iíll need to zero in on the fit of a curved and/or complex component. It was good to figure it out on something small like this so it can save me time and materials on larger projects. *Subtle glances over at his half assembled Knight and mutters, ďSoon.Ē Under his breath*

Next up, I need to get the other two Dragoons cleaned up and assembled, so this project will go dark for a bit before returning once Iíve got the group closer to being ready for primer. Naturally, if I do anything else of note for the project along the way Iíll try to remember to document the process. Iím trying hard to force myself to photograph what Iím doing more often, as I keep finishing things and thinking I should have documented the process.

Thanks as always for reading and following along. Ok, now Iím all worded out.

*Subtle shuffles off to find something to jam into his food hole*

post #237 of 304 (permalink) Old 05-22-18, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Oooo... the very first casts are up! Mmmm... polyurethane resin. *Subtle rubs his hands together expectantly*

I'm still making moulds so I can't do a proper casting run yet, but I had to get a few done to see how they're turning out. Everything is looking as good as I could have hoped for. Now let's see how all the parts come together, shall we?

post #238 of 304 (permalink) Old 05-23-18, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Here we go, I'll just leave these right here. A few images to show a before-and-after, nice and large to showcase the surface quality and detail fidelity. But now, back to work.
Old Man78 likes this.

post #239 of 304 (permalink) Old 06-02-18, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Caughtby a fit of distracting inspiration, to accompany the Vehicle Pintle Weapons, I'm taking a quick diversion to crank out a redesign of the Vehicle Accessories I created.

This is the Searchlight that I'll be using as a base (the Searchlight part is removable), and from here I'm going to create a Loud Speaker (Aka: Dirge Caster), and a Radar/Comms dish for this base and a separateSmoke Launcher bit to complete the set; the kit will include a few Smoke Launchers and several bases with a selectionof the modular bits for the builder to choose during assembly. I decided to get briefly distracted by this redesign becauseI think it will pair well with the Vehicle Pintle Weapons kits (moulds are finished, casts are great, more on that kit soon...) and I'll be bundling the two together when they hit the shop.

As mentioned, the Pintle Weapons are done (after being delayed a few days after running out of rubber) and now I just need to get some proper photos taken of them. I'll share some images very soon. The casting masters for the Interitus Missile Launcher (Aka: Havoc Launcher) kits have finished 3D printing and mould making is ongoing. Expect to see much more poly resin over the next few updates followed by more new designs becoming reality.
Old Man78 likes this.

post #240 of 304 (permalink) Old 06-03-18, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

The Loud Speaker. As those skilled in the art of making loudnoises once said, the volume nob goes to eleven because that's louder than ten. It's simple really.
Old Man78 likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Tags
black legion , kit bashing , resin casting , scratch building , tools

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode