Legion Rising - Projects from The Dark Works - Page 21 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #201 of 320 (permalink) Old 01-15-18, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Subtle Discord's Flag is: Canada

From the forest of paint bottles, they emerge. Super organized painter, I is not. Maybe I should consider changing that habit...

So close to being finished the base paint job, it's painful to have to stop working on this squad, but my hobby ration for the week has been consumed.

It's odd that the camera seems to make the highlights on the weapons seem a bit brighter then they are in person. They really do 'pop' much more in the images. Just one of those side-effects of pixellating the image, I suppose.

I'm reconsidering doing the eyes bit brighter and with a bit of glow. I used a very tiny bit of transparent blue to give the lights on the chest a bit of OSL and I think it worked out well considering how painless it was. A little fiddly, but not all that hard so I guess I'll try it on the eyes and see. I'm the first to admit it's a very straightforward colour scheme that'snot taking too many risks, but I think it's working well to give them a calculating clinical look.

"The old galaxy is dying, and the new galaxy struggles to be born; now is the time of monsters."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 320 (permalink) Old 01-18-18, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Brought up in another corner of the interweb I figured it wouldn't hurt to share this elsewhere. When I say I'm considering green, this is what I mean...

I took a bit of time and did some backpacks in the planned green and it forced me to do at least one test model to see what it looks like.

While I'm happy with how I executed the blue lights, I still think it's a bit too much blue on blue. I think the green just breaks up the monotony of so... much... blue... Even the green eyes I'm thinking of brightening a bit to add a bit more punch.

With regards to the execution, I should give credit where credit is due. I've mentioned these Transparent paints from Vajello a few times the last while but until now I hadn't used them.

I picked these up when I got my airbrush hoping that they will compliment it and I'm happy to finally discover that they do.

I've only just started playing around with them so I can't provide really in-depth feedback on how to best use them but so far they're working as I was hoping they would. Subtle gloweffects are most effective when the colour that is being projected on a surface is staining the surface and letting the base surface/colour show through. Thinning paints to get this effect can be tricky since many colours have additives that are meant to help the paint cover and be opaque; from what I can tell these paints are simply the colour pigments in acrylic binding medium, minus the opaquing additives. Many painters would use inks to achieve this kind of effect but inks are water-like in consistency, so I prefer this product becauseit has a little more body and it acts more like paint when you attempt to blend the edges.

In this case, I brushed the colours on the chest pieces and did a bit of blending to get the desired effect and I used my airbrush to add it to the backpacks so it could do the blending work for me. Both times it was used straight from the bottle and built up to get the desired effect. They look very bright and vivid in the bottle and when you initially put them on a surface, especially if it's heavy, but they mute down as theydry and become more transparent. The pigment is very concentratedso a very tiny bit can go quite far. So, a light touch and using a small amount is best while you get used to how they'll affect a surface they're being used on.

"The old galaxy is dying, and the new galaxy struggles to be born; now is the time of monsters."

post #203 of 320 (permalink) Old 01-22-18, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Further update with ramblings and more images to follow shortly.

post #204 of 320 (permalink) Old 01-22-18, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

It would be an understatement to say that Iím very happy to finally be painting again. What is it about this damn hobby that makes it so compelling? I completely respect that itís not for everyone, but for those of us who get caught up in itÖ mmmmÖ so good.

So, the first squad of Skitarii Rangers is almost finished. I still have a few small details and a tiny bit of tidying up to do here-and-there but that's basically a formality at this point. They're all still held together with poster tack so the odd backpack or arm might be a little off. For some reason, Iím hesitant to actually commit them with glue even though I think Iím safe at this point, for fear of overlooking something that would be easier to do while theyíre still in separate parts.

To sort out my colour pallet and painting technique I focused on the Ranger squad to use them as a proof of concept.

Values, 1, 2, 3. One of the most straightforward yet powerful concepts that I learned in college and it applies quite well to miniature painting. Used during the rendering process when you're colouring and/or shading an image to best communicate the form and detail, it's the simple guideline that you only need three distinct Values, light (1), medium (2), and dark (3), to create all of the desired contrast. Generally, beyond that point, any additional steps/values will start to have diminishing returns for the extra effort required to add them.

In many ways it seems really obvious and common sense but I found it surprising how often I would be working on something and wondering why it was lacking some visual punch, and then I would notice that there wasnít enough 1, 2, 3, value definition. Forcing this concept from my unconscious mind into my conscious mind was definitely something that took some practice but it pays off once it becomes more instinctive.

The idea translates well to painting where you can create a straightforward guideline to follow; determine the light, medium, and dark, value of each colour you plan to use and make sure each step is distinct. Naturally, thatís not to say there wonít be places where you may want to be more elaborate, but with or without blending itís surprising just how effective this simple approach is. Conversely, if a paint job seems to fall a bit flat, look at it critically and ask yourself if thereís good 1, 2, 3, value definition happening.

Group shot! It took a little longer to get this squad done, but now that I have a good idea what each step involves future squads will/should/might happen faster.

As I said, I still need to tweak a few details and do some minor cleanup. OSL really does force you to pay attention if you want it to be reasonably convincing so now that theyíre assembled there are a few spots that need some attention. I also want to boost the shoulder mounted lamps which are just not bright enough for my liking. The Vanguard weapons are also giving me pause as I continue to contemplate just how I want to treat the OSL glow with them. Iíve given them the first hit with the airbrush but I donít know Iíve itís too strong for the final look. Oh well, thatís a final puzzle to hopefully work out next painting session.

After years of painting predominantly black, the bold colours are also forcing me to accept that it might be time to upgrade my seven-year-old camera. The images arenít bad by any stretch, but even with a bit of Photoshop to adjust and darken them, the colours are noticeably more vibrant in the pictures than in person; in particular, the blue is bold but itís just not that bright in reality. Itís not really a priority by any means but something with better colour accuracy would be nice at some point in the future.

The plan is to get 50-to-60 Skitarii done to roughly this point before I really contemplate how Iíll be completing the scheme.

That will give me time to finish the decal designs Iíve started and get them printed, ready for a marathon session of decaling them in one big batch. Part of me wants to try to add some freehand keyed trimming on the coats but the rest of me is a coward who doesnít want to screw it up. Thinking about it, I have an idea to get long strips of binary code printed in the smallest font possible (read: micro text) so it would appear as just a line unless you looked very closely. Iím just not sure if decals can be printed small enough to pull off the effect or how difficult it would be to apply the strips along the edges of some of the coats and hoods. I like the idea, Iím just not sure how realistic it is.

Thanks again for reading and following along. As always, any questions, comments, or general musings are always welcome. Mmmm... soooo satisfying to get back to painting.

post #205 of 320 (permalink) Old 01-28-18, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; or close up the wall with our Skitarii dead."

"+++ 75-tack-0 + Reporting... primary target... confirmed. Holding position... Awaiting tactical protocol downlink. +++"

*Taps the microphone* Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3... Is this thing on? Testing... Oh, yep, it's on.

So I got ahead of myself again, and I shouldhavetested the Vanguard Carbines before getting too eager with the airbrush. As much as the treatment on the right is very striking it's just a bit too strong for the look I'm aimingfor. I've done the Plasma with this treatment and I think it looks ace, but I want the Carbines more subdued like the treatment on the left. I wish there was an easy way to get something in between the two, but I can't figure out how to do it; if the light source is coming from within the weapon (how I prefer it) then the coils are going to obstruct just how much light can spill out, and where it can strike. I've neverbeen a fan of how the coils are attached to the Radium Carbine and this just drives it home.

So, I've had to go back and cover the heavy green glow I did with the airbrush. Finished now, but I hate redoing work. I know it's going to happen now-and-then but it always annoys me. I'm almost done the black highlights and then it'll be the blue followed by the always intimidating OSL. +++ Motivation Subroutines: Initialized +++

post #206 of 320 (permalink) Old 01-28-18, 03:23 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

I see what you mean. The comparison to the plasma guns makes sense and asks the question "are the coils the light source or is the light source under the coils."

The left guy definitely has the light source under the coils while the right the coils are the light source.

I think the understatement is good. It's too easy to get carried away in miniature painting with an effect or technique and allow it to take over the model.

It's just not a job for an airbrush.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #207 of 320 (permalink) Old 02-04-18, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

+++
++++++
++
Comm-Link ∙ Active
+++++
++++
Downloading... Complete
++
Displaying Data File ∙ Onscreen
+++++
+

+++
++++
Comm-Link ∙ Active
+++++++
+++
+

post #208 of 320 (permalink) Old 02-09-18, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

++++++
+++
Comm-Link ∙ Active
+++++++++
+
DownloadingÖ Complete
+++++
Displaying Data File ∙ Onscreen
++++++
+++

+++ Command Protocols ∙ Accepted +++ Request ∙ Diagnostic Activation +++_+++ Command Input ∙ Accepted +++

++
Initializing SubsystemsÖ
+++++++
++++
Generator Subsystems ∙ Online
Containment Field ∙ Nominal
++++++++++
+++++
Initialize Plasma Reaction? ∙ Y/N

post #209 of 320 (permalink) Old 02-10-18, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

+++ Initialize Plasma Reaction? ∙ Y/N +++ Command Input∙ Y +++_+++ Status∙ Ignighting Plasma Reaction +++_+++ Initialize Void Field?Y/N +++
Old Man78 likes this.

post #210 of 320 (permalink) Old 02-10-18, 01:33 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Great stuff the use of the plasma ball is just simple genius!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Tags
black legion , kit bashing , resin casting , scratch building , tools

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode