Legion Rising - Projects from The Dark Works - Page 15 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 305 (permalink) Old 05-18-16, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Subtle Discord's Flag is: Canada

In the immortal words of professor Hubert J. Farnsworth, "Good news, everyone!"

But as with this signature phrase, it comes with a bit of a catch; thankfully nothing as suicidal as most 'Good news' Planet Express delivery missions. I shall elaborate...

So, I was able to poke my nose out from under the rock of higher learning, take a little time to do some building, and take a few teaser photos of some of things brewing in the background. But, as much as I want to get the studio back up-and-running I've been a bit stuck because of a school obligation. Between 3rd and 4th year (my current position) students are required to do an internship that ties into the Industrial Design field. So, as much as the studio is calling, for several weeks I've been looking, quite unsuccessfully, for summer employment.

I'd tried twice already to see if my studio could qualify considering what I'm doing and what I have planned for the future, but the program has somewhat specific (and dated) requirements, and I wasn't fully explaining just how developed my small studio is. So finally, after explaining with a little more depth (ok I rambled... a little... emphatically) a third time yesterday I was given tentative permission to use hours in my studio towards the obligation for the program. Details still need to be clarified and verified, and I will still need to try and find some other work to add additional hours if I can, but a massive barrier to spending any time in my studio should now be lifted. "And there was much rejoicing! ...
Yay!" ~ Monty Python

As I said, this is a bit of a mixed blessing; while I get what I wanted and can work in my studio, it also means I'll need to stay motivated and avoid any wasted time. It's still not clear exactly what will be expected as proof of progress and development, as it were, so I'm still careful not to celebrate too much. Deep down I know I have a ton of work cut out for me no matter what, so at least I think I have a realistic grasp of what I'm getting into. Odds are I'm overthinking things as usual, but I'll have a better idea by next week when things are clarified by my program coordinators.

So, put simply, expect some long overdue updates very soon; I have several articles that have photos done, I just need to finish the copy for them, so expect to see those soon. For anyone waiting on a restock for the shop; I can now invest serious time without it being counter productive so I'll be on this over then next week or more. For those who are interested in some of my new designs; as with casting, studio time is now 'official' and I can invest resources in getting them into production. And finally, I think I can find a way to squeeze some army build/paint time into all of this so expect some progress on that as well.

Lots more to come. So much so, I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring out where to start, now that I'm actually aloud to start. I think this might require a bit of a reorganization of the studio space. Some new equipment I got this winter (another story for another time) has really thrown a cramp into how the shop is arranged. It's harder to function in a dysfunctional space, after all.

Please, stand by...

"The old galaxy is dying, and the new galaxy struggles to be born; now is the time of monsters."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 305 (permalink) Old 05-18-16, 09:44 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Right on man! Be careful what you wish for. =)

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #143 of 305 (permalink) Old 05-30-16, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Default The Dark Mechanicus Arrive

With a bit of hobby time to scratch a deep itch (more on that in a bit, and across future articles to come) and my studio finally in a state of almost respectable organization, itís time to get The Dark Works going again. First up, some of my usual ramble to answer some questions and make some comments based on replies taken from all of my Legion Rising threads.

First, itís been mentioned, quite wisely, that I should be sure to get my recent agreement with my college in writing to make sure any time spent isnít wasted. Since, as far as I know, Iíll be the first to do their own studio/company for the required hours Iíve been sure to take this sage advice and Iíve already got things written up, signed, and sent off. Iíll know more this week. Iíve been at my college long enough to have a bit of an idea how things can be, and Iíll work hard to make sure things work out in the end. And trust that after consideration Iíve concluded that the studio wins regardless, (more on this at the end of the summer) so Iím happy with how things are headed, no matter the outcome. Thanks as always, to everyone who is offering suggestions and support for my progress. Itís always useful and appreciated.

Itís also been asked if I have any plans on doing non-Chaos weapon systems (sponsons and turrets, for example) and I can say itís not out of the question. Some specialized/unique weapons seem like good places to start, but time will tell just what I will tackle. It does touch on the fact that most future kits will have Chaos and Loyalist versions; it wonít be for every kit, some will be faction exclusive, but many will get both versions. While my corruption is complete, and Chaos will always be my first calling, Iíll be doing much more Loyalist work in the future; hopefully starting this summer.

Unfortunately, most of the builds I have shown in my recent photos wonít be getting painted any time soon. Itís a bitter sweet necessity however, because it means that the models can be used in the studio to produce kits for the Works, so thatís worth the sacrifice of needing to wait to paint them. On a related point, I now have a new Land Raider kit, so Iíll finally be able to assemble and paint my current Land Raider thatís been in my collection for far too many years. I suspect that Iíll need to do a squad of Terminators that are also looong overdue to ride inside, when the time comes to get some paint on it, so stay tuned for that at some point. Iím still trying to decide if I want to give the ĎRaider some significant, but not crippling, battle damage for some variety; maybe even magnetize a section of the armour so it can swap out the damaged part for a intact one. HummÖ might be on to somethingÖ

So yes, as the photos allude, the Sicaran, Spartan, and Fire Raptor are all in various stages of completion and will soon be ready for use for developing studio kits. I canít say they will all get kits this summer, but given how tricky some of them are to buildÖ *Subtle glares at the near-finished Fire Raptor with mix of malice, contempt, and pride* getting them assembled cleanly is a critical first step. But first up, one small diversion before a new personal project.

After a hobbyist was nice enough to post a picture of a formation of my Moríses weapon platforms, a request was made for a photo of the platforms beside some models for scale. They were nice enough to provide the requested photo, but it got me thinking it couldnít hurt to do a nice studio photo for some scale reference.

Unfortunately, I still havenít had time to do more then give it one coat of black paint. The Marines are on 25mm bases.

This also brings up a point that Iíve been considering recently; going forward Iím going to try to produce accompanying body components to match kits that warrant them. Most of the time this will mean a set of legs in an appropriate pose and/or hands (maybe a complete arm) gripping and/or operating the equipment. In this case, while Iíve created an ample standing platform and was very careful in trying to create a good height for the control panel, trying to build a model to fit with the existing kit is more work than it needs to be; a few made-to-fit body parts would make it much more straight forward to build.

So, thatís something old, so now on to something new; a kit bashing, converting, and casting project, presented by Subtle DiscordÖ

My first major purchases outside of the Chaos faction since I started collecting/building/painting Chaos over twenty years ago. Naturally, they will be turned to chaotic purposes.

Since their release, Iíve always been frustrated that GW choose to only produce Chaos Cultists as a limited selection of snap-fit models with static poses. If you like the look, the starter set models are great, but Iíve always thought a multi-part kit would sell exceptionally well for GW (considering the number of Cultists you generally need/want to field) and I wondered why they never created a multi-part kit.

I dislike glaring repetition in a collection in general; in a very structured and maintained army it makes more sense, but at the very least I still want the option to have some control over pose to add variety. In an army like Chaos, where less structure is to be expected, blatant repetition is a real detracting factor to me. I donít need huge changes for each model, but a little flexibility and some interchangeable options is much preferred, and the more the better. Being able to change poses and mix-and-match interchangeable parts for varietyÖ ďItís a good thing!Ē ~ M. Stewart.

Originally my list included standard Chaos Cultists from the CSM Codex, but once I had a copy of IA:13 I have since changed that to an allied detachment of Chaos Renegades; slightly more expensive, but they bring many more useful options to the table. Since Iíve long wanted to add some kind of representation for the Dark Mechanicus who are in service to my Warband, this seemed like a good opportunity. Pictured above is the Renegade Mechanicus Command Squad with a Command Net Vox, built from the stock Skitarii Ranger/Vanguard kit; being some of GWs newer work they stand very well on their own without modification.

The Demagogue will be given the Bloody-handed Reaver devotion to represent the improved equipment and training this force has access to; this devotion gives the Demagogue a Refractor Field, the option to equip certain squads with proper Flak Armour, forces you to buy Militia Training (+1 WS & BS) on any squads that can take it, and provides the option to upgrade certain squads with Hot-shot Las weapons. For me, this will do a good job of representing a Mechanicus Militia, and the Ďtax elementsí arenít too steep for what you get.

With some kit bashing and a little conversion work I was able to get a nice selection of posable bits to mix-and-match for variety.

The torso of the Astra Militarum required some simple but key changes to make this project work. With all of the extra heads provided by the Skitarii box, itís an obvious place to start. To me, the head of a model being placed on a proper ball-joint is key to giving the builder a lot of freedom in the pose of a miniature; just a simple turn and tilt of the head can completely change the intent and look of a model, even with no other changes. With some careful shaving, drilling, and filing, I was able to create a seat that fit the Skitarii heads quite nicely.

Originally I didnít have plans to add backpacks to the models, but looking at the packs in the Skitarii box got me thinking, and after some test fits I quickly came around to the idea of adding them. A little styrene work produced some suitable mounting points for the backpacks and finished the torsos.

Every single Autopistol I could harvest from a Dark Vengeance set, plus a few more, were attached to the AM arms to provide some variety while still being consistent. Also, I wanted them to carry gladiusí or some kind of short swords over a smaller knives, so I used Chaos Marine combat weapons for their larger size. The hands intended for the special weapons in the AM kit proved especially suited for making a convincing combat weapon hand; once chopped off at the wrist I could add them to arms in different poses to add more variety.

Iím very pleased with the outcome of these changes; particularly the addition of the backpacks. I think they complete the model nicely while reinforcing the Mechanicus theme.

In the final models Iíve removed the tops of the antennas and the dangling bits from the packs to have them appear more subordinate and make them easier to work with. Combined with the added helmet I think they provide a much needed dose of detail to the older Cadian models.

But the star of the project has to be the variety that results from the combination of the final components.

With a combination of bits sourced online, leftover bits, and select parts I can cast for myself, I can put together 20-30 of these Dark Mechanicus Militia with an acceptable level of variety for reasonable amount of effort and expense.

From a fluff perspective, I see it as a lesser Mechanicus force that enjoys the reasonably standardized and maintained equipment their faction can provide. I picture them being selected only from manufactorum workers who are particularly capable (or perhaps violent) and those who are born into service, never slave workers; having never known anything but service in the factories they would have a slightly higher standing and likely be loyal. Being internal workers does well to explain the lack of cybernetics too. And, not that theyíd have much choice, but I think most would welcome the chance at Militia service if only to leave the factory and see the actual sky, if only once, before they die.

However, even with the added Militia training, having been sheltered in the factories will make them somewhat unpredictable on the real battlefield; for me, this ties in well with the random Leadership value that Chaos Renegade squads need to contend with.

Eager to see the final look, Iíve done a little test painting. Iím try to keep the scheme simple so I donít lose my mind painting 30+ of these at a time.

By keeping the scheme to Black, Blue, and Silver, I can use a simple single Black Wash to get the desired depth. A quick overall wash does most of the work, and then some selective application in select spots finishes that step quickly. While I want the cloth to keep the dark Blue-Black tone I achieved, I think Iím going to add just a bit more highlight to bring out a little more punch to the Blue. It still has one more layer if detailing and highlighting to go, but Iím completely happy with the result so far. This scheme should preserve my sanity when it comes time to paint it in bulk.

Ok, thatís it for this wall-oí-text-and-photos. Iíve been trying my best to remember to photograph my progress as Iíve been building my most recent kits, so I have build articles for (In no particular order) the Raptor, Spartan, and Sicaran coming up in the near future. Along with perhaps some other projects that may crop up if Iím so inspired.

I find myself forever caught between the four forces that pull me in opposite directions; designing and creating new prototypes for kits, mould making and casting, building and painting, and writing articles about all of it. I enjoy each aspect so it can be hard to change focus when one of them in particular is calling. So, for now I shift my focus to production and Iíll start casting some much needed stock so I can generate some more capitol to make some of my many future plans possible.

Summer is finally here! More to come over the coming weeks and months. And as always, comments, questions, input, and critic, are always welcome. Thanks for reading.

"The old galaxy is dying, and the new galaxy struggles to be born; now is the time of monsters."

post #144 of 305 (permalink) Old 05-31-16, 01:57 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Looking good man.

Please give us a shout when your restock. I had been holding off because I have so many other projects waiting and with grad school and family I wasn't getting to any of it.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #145 of 305 (permalink) Old 05-31-16, 04:44 AM
Febris Militarius

Medic Marine's Flag is: Australia

Like the simple design, looks sharp and dark.
Particular the highlights to the sleeves of the model. Subdue weapons make the uniform really pop out.

Life is all anatomy lessons and paint brushes
post #146 of 305 (permalink) Old 07-10-16, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

And now, for another instalment ofÖ Tales of Interest!

Along with other projects that I have eluded to in earlier posts (more on those, and others, when time permits in the future) I mentioned that I might get distracted with some other ideas Iíve had bouncing around inside my brain. Unfortunately I suffer from a bit of self-diagnosed O.C.D. (Shocker! I knowÖ) when it comes to the act of creation; sometimes an inspiration will take hold, and Iím virtually powerless to stop myself from working on the idea, even if itís not necessarily what I had planned. Iíve learned that itís usually best not to fight it unless there is something critical that needs to be dealt with instead. Itís that uncontrollable need to make and create that defines an artist or designer in my opinion; itís one thing to like to be creative and enjoying making things, but itís another when thereís something in your psyche that completely compels you to do so.

Most, dare I say all, ideas evolve. Some more than others, but I learned long ago that itís almost always better to give ideas some time to explore and mature; and school had helped to reinforce and hone this process. I canít think of a single time that giving a project a few days/weeks/months of reflection didnít improve the final outcome. Sometimes itís through necessity, because something needs to fit, function, or a specific form, and sometimes itís more cosmetic where certain visual elements need to be looked at with fresh eyes and tweaked to get the best looking results. Thereís a healthy dose of each in these new projects.

In turn, itís also possible for it to go the other way, and you need to be careful that you donít overthink an idea and spend too much time contemplating. Having creativity turn to procrastination for one reason or another is still a trap I struggle with from time-to-time. Being more aware of how/when itís being helpful or hindering the process has been an interesting learning experience. I donít guilt myself when I put something aside as I may have in the past, but I also donít let myself off and have too many things lost in limbo as I refine them. These were a couple of ideas I finally chose to resurrect and hammer home reasonably quickly.

I while back I had shown a proof-of-concept for some tea-lights being used to create glowing Objective Markers.

While the idea worked well to get the stones to glow, there were several technical issues, not the least of which was the size. Itís just too tall. And while thereís a fair bit of wasted space in these lights there is an issue with trying to stack a shell, the battery, connectors, a switch, and the LED and keep it low profile. I discovered an interesting alternative LED light that simplified the switch into a screw mechanism and this helped make the unit smaller, but the height was an issue that needed to be dealt with.

After modifying one of the lights to remove as much height as I could possible manage, I fused the top part into a plastic component that gave the assembly a slope. Having no trademark or copyright to worry about, I have no problem using them as the base mechanics this kit will need to make my life easier.

I kept the final diameter to 2Ē so I could get as gradual a slope as possible while keeping the size official.

With a little research I found that these twist-on style lights are prolific and come in many colours and varieties. This makes it easy to replace parts and to change the effect to something different. Simple, modular, and customizable. Nothing wrong with that combination at all.

Happy with the solution for the base, now it needed something to take advantage of that light.

As an added bonus, these little lights work with 1 or 2 batteries. All of these pictures are taken with 1 battery under reasonably bright conditions and the glow is very pronounced. Naturally, with a second battery the effect is considerably brighter. While not necessary, nothing wrong with more options.

The other issue I had with my earlier prototypes was the clear plastic used to cast the glowing stones; the first plastic I used took over 24 hours to cure enough to de-mould, and several more days to become completely hard. A school project earlier this year gave me the opportunity to pick up some Smooth Cast 326, a virtually clear casting resin that colours very well and only takes 1 hour to cure enough to de-mould. While still not very fast, itís a vast improvement.

As before, I first primed the stones in white to capture and reflect as much light as possible, then finished with a layer of black.

Much more care was taken to carve the symbols into the stones this time and this helps considerably during the painting. The lines are sharper and much deeper than the first prototypes, so if you spray the primer over them at a sharp angle to the surface, the paint will naturally avoid going into the carved lines. The surfaces get a nice even coat while the lines stay reasonably clean. And once itís dry the plastic is so hard a dull pin can easily remove any primer that may find its way into the lines, so no real special care is needed to get these primed and ready for basing and paint.

Hereís a size and height comparison beside some models. While still a little tall, these feel much more plausible as a mound of soil.

I wanted to get some paint, and not just primer, on these but the next project has distracted me too much the last while so I didnít have a chance yet. Even with just primer Iím completely happy with the new base solution and improved stones. The supplied LEDs slowly shift through a rainbow of colours giving them a very hypnotic ever-changing effect that Iím equally pleased with; I think it lends to the Chaos vibe of the stones, but as I mentioned, with the modular parts the LED hardware can easily be replaced at a reasonable cost if I or the customer chooses to change them.

A future plan for this idea is to create a series of small objects that look like arcane and/or xeno technology; an outer shell thatís just a normal resin cast model surrounding a translucent core component that can transmit the light. Just give the marker a twist and it lights up and glows with some internal power source.

Considered a while back, Iím not totally sure what compelled me to return to this project now, but it wouldnít let me go.

While I always like it, the original design I came up with was just too large and complex. The parts would either be too big for me to handle reasonably with my current equipment, or I would need to split everything into too many smaller parts for my liking. Given its shape, I had always wondered if the Vengeance Weapon Battery base could work as a starting point, and I finally gave in and got a kit to try it with.

By refining the design down to save on bulk, minimize parts, and take advantage of a repeating pattern, Iíve brought the idea into the realm of reasonable; but, itís still going to be the largest kit my studio has produced to date. In this, Iím using it as a testing ground for casting parts of this size; I donít foresee any serious difficulties, but I still havenít cast components this large yet, so itís an excellent project to make sure everything will go as Iím hoping it will.

Being a breakable part that could need replacing, and because of the simple fact that not all Plasma Globes are created equal (cheaper ones will slowly fade over time) Iíve designed the model with a removable top to permit the globe to be replace.

As before, by integrating only the needed part of the generic globe base, I can seamlessly add the hardware into the model.

By building my form as a tight skin around the required piece of the original base and then filling the void with liquid resin before capping it all in to finish it, any 3Ē plasma globe with the generic black stair-step style base should have no problem fitting in this base. From there the rest of the parts attach to the Vengeance Battery base to finish the build.

3D modeling is great for designing with the intent of rapid prototyping the model, but college really forced me to scratch build from a 3D model, and it showed me how realistic it is. It takes some extra time to build thin 3D model, but it takes most of the guesswork out of the final model. If an issue does come up, itís simple to tweak the model to find the solution. Next step is to blend the processes and merge rapid prototyped components into a larger build.

Iíve also invested in some round rivets cast in styrene, so this seemed a perfect project to try them.

While everything is looking good so far, Iím still a bit nervous. Until I can cast copies of the parts I canít be 100% sure about the fit. Iím pretty certain Iíve got my build right, but it seems that the Vengeance Battery kit is one that is produced in China for GW, (shame on you GW *shakes head in disappointment*) and I have to say it has an effect on the quality of the model. Visually overall, itís not bad. Some details are lacking and there are a few surface quality issues, but nothing really bad. But when you get in closer Iíve found that thereís a lack of many tolerances in the model; lines that should be straight are a little off, things that should be symmetrical arenít quite, and a few other small idiosyncrasies that didnít show themselves until well into the build.

Thereís still a final layer of detail (soÖ manyÖ rivetsÖ) to go, but itís in the home stretch. It wonít be long before I can test the fit and put it to rest. I havenít wasted time detailing the 3D model with anything that isnít critical to the overall build, so thereís still several other little things that need to be finished. Iíll be out of the studio for a week for a family vacation, so this will be on track once Iím back, and followed, as always, by other projects waiting in the wings.

You read it! You can't unread it!

post #147 of 305 (permalink) Old 07-18-16, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

++++...
++++++...
++++++++++Re-establishing Connection...
++++++++++Processing...
+++++++...
++++++++++Interference Level Shift: 0.895 – 0.727 – 0.665
++++...
++++++++++Communications Protocol Validate.
++++++++++Signal Lock...
+++++...
++++++++++Connection Established...
++++++++++Transferring...
++++++++++...
++...
++++++++++Processing: Decrypt...
+++++++...
++++++++++Opening Image Files...
++++++++++Opening Transcribe Files...
++++...
++++++++++Minor Data Corruption...
+++++++...
++++++++++Recompiling...
+++++...
++...
++++++++++Data Loss Minimal...
++++++++++Displaying...
++++++++...

[Repair Recompile Failure]...d Warmaster. While suffering casualties higher than expected, our final raiding force has returned having secured the targeted tools, construction materials, and Shield Generation Cores. While I hope the success of our primary goals satisfies you and the needs of our current production, I am positive you will be most pleased with the additional find that the Shadowed Hand has seen fit to guide us... [Repair Recompile Failure]...e raids initial defensive resistance was much higher than expected despite the success of our planned distraction. [Repair Recompile Failure]...s unfortunate that we were forced to employ wide-field sonic resonance to speed the securing of target vessels thus rendering most of the potential additional labour spoils to only water and protein reclamation. However, in return transit it became apparent why the defensive actions had been so resolute; strange anomalies in the cargo manifests pointed to something out of the ordinary, and deeper investigation quickly confirmed suspicions. Initially thought to be a single prize, it is my deepest pleasure to inform my Warmaster that we have in fact secured two sacred war engines of the Knight classification. While the encrypted data-wards and failsafe barriers are extremely formidable, and progress in gaining complete access to all subsystems will take some time, merely having the chassis and weapon systems secure in our forges should be worthy of high praise to the Dark Lords who are forever guiding our p... [Repair Recompile Failure]...t appears after initial inspection that the war engines have been partially dismantled to facilitate their transport, leading us to believe that this was an unsanctioned operation. Further decryption of the data recovered will likely revealed a better understanding in the future, and the dismantled state should prove useful during our initial reverse engineering operations.

Further positive reports returned from our other raiding and recovery operations are to follow shortly. While the addition of these glorious engines of war to our armoury has overshadowed other actions, their success should not be overlooked and more comprehensive updates of these efforts will be compiled with haste. Praise to you my Lord Warmaster and the honour of bringing this news to you. +++ ... Mechanicus Crimmins'Thoth - Disciple of the Black Hand - Taker of Names - Scribe to the Book of Thoth: Lost and Dead Returned

+++++++...
++++++++++Connection Standby...
++++++++...
++++...
++++++...
++++++++++Standby...

Last edited by Subtle Discord; 07-18-16 at 07:57 PM.
post #148 of 305 (permalink) Old 07-19-16, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Default Obduro Risum

+++++++++...
++++++++...
+++...
+++++++...
++++...

Efforts to recover the Relic Sicaran battle tank Obduro Risum - ĎThe Last Laughí have met with, dare I sayÖ humorous success. After confirmation was made that the chassis was indeed mostly intact, including the primary weapon systems, the extraction force assembled quickly to make what was meant to be a rapid retrieval operation. Shortly after planet fall, upon scouting the resting place of our Relic, it was discovered that Imperial forces were also moving on to the site; while they were ahead of our own force they obviously had also only just arrived. Further reconnaissance quickly confirmed that the Loyalists were there to ensure the destruction of this, our deeply venerated relic of our Long War. Before a more risky frontal assault was considered, council was given by the accompanying Mechanicus and a unique diversionary plan was quickly formulated.

While the war engine had be thoroughly disabled, having thrown both of its track assemblies, and despite the main power subsystems being compromised, rendering the Lasí-Cannons inoperable, the communications, control subsystems, and secondary power subsystems were all still functioning. The Mechanicus went about creating a remote access link to the vehicle and silently took control of the dormant war machine. Damage and power limitations meant that the ammunition feeders to the Auto-Cannons were likely non-functional, but the Obduro Risum still had two rounds chambered and ready to fire.

There can be no doubt that the Imperials were stunned when the targeting and tracking systems of the Sicaran main turret sprang to life, just as they moved in to butcher our cherished Relic, and with a smooth turn locked on to the transport hauling their demolition ordinance. To be true to its name the Mechanicus controlling Obduro Risum activated the engineís external vox, maximized the volume, and gave a satisfying bark of laughter to assail Loyalists before opening fire. Two shells were more than enough to set off the cache in a most spectacular primary explosion that in turn resulted in a series of all-but annihilating secondary detonations. Our recovery forces were met with little resistance as they moved in on the shell-shocked remnants, and quickly secured the site. Some additional damage was suffered by the Obduro Risum in the blast, but the results of the quickly devised plan were more than worth the additional repairs that were required.

Repair and reassembly transcription logs to follow.

+++ Mechanicus Crimmins'Thoth - Disciple of the Black Hand - Taker of Names - Scribe to the Book of Thoth: Lost and Dead Returned +++

++++++++...
++...
+++++++...
+++++++...
+++++...
++++++++++Standby...
++++++...

post #149 of 305 (permalink) Old 07-19-16, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

The Good: The FW Sicaran Kit proved to be a reasonable build for the most part, except for a few issues in the fit in a few places. The Ďboxí that makes up the main hull went together cleanly, and as always I pinned the assembly as much as possible for added strength andÖ completely forgot to photograph the progress and results before getting on with adding the side hull components.

While the side hull components seem straight and true enough, they donít quite fit the hull as cleanly as you might expect.

Being what seems to be a straight forward, mostly flat-surface-on-flat-surface connection, itís very odd that these parts should have a strange Ďrockí that creates an odd gap. Close these gaps at the back of the model (which never really aligns as straight as I personally would like) and they become wider in the front; close the gap in the front and the space widens at the back.

I considered adding shims of plastic to build up areas and attempt to compensate for the gaps with some finesse, as it were, but in the name of a my new found effort to avoid being too perfectionist about every detail of my builds, I chose a brute force method instead. After drilling several large pins into specific locations I secured the pins (treated with my texturing technique shown earlier in Legion Rising), applied liberal amounts of Super Glue, and used several clamps that Iíve modified with soft pads for just his kind of job, to squeeze the parts into submission while the glue set. As mentioned, because of the odd fit in the back a few of the gaps are not as narrow as I would ultimately have liked, but theyíre not bad enough for me to feel compelled to repair them. I can add some greenstuff to fill the gaps if Iím feeling up to it, but theyíre hidden well enough I can also just ignore them. Good enough.

During test fits I was not happy with how closely the turret sat on the hull; the lack of clearance caused the turret to conflict with the hull during rotation.

So, using my handy-dandy circle cutting technique, I went about adding a simple shim of 1.5mm styrene to the turret post. Happy with the results, I found it didÖ nothing to add any height of the turret; it was now flush with the inside surface of the hull that the post sits in.

So, I went about modifying the hull component a bit to add the desired height.

Adding a second 1.5mm shim to the hull inside the turret post hole, before adding a rectangular plate on the inside finally got the height I was looking for. Naturally, the center points left from the circle cutting process are also perfect for getting magnets mounted perfectly centered.

Itís a small change really, but the turret now avoids any snags so it can now rotate 360⁰ cleanly.

The clearance is still a little tight at points, but itís a noticeable improvement. The broad smooth plastic plates also give a pleasant amount of friction and make sure the turret is nice and stable, so it doesnít rock or shift at all. Simple, clean, and effective.

With the main turret and the hull assembled, I turned my attention to the sponsons.

I contemplated for quite a while on a way to make the Lasí-Cannons and Heavy Bolter sponsons swappable with magnets using only the supplied parts. But I just couldnít come up with a solution that wasnít going to create more work while also creating a weaker attachment because of the smaller magnets that would be necessary. Despite the lack of common sense of having exposed power cabling, I like the visual interest they add and they were just too fiddley to consider a way to make them work with swappable weapons.

My final more straightforward solution works well in my opinion; the sponsons can be cleanly omitted from the model if I want to go without, and when they are added the armor plate can rotate with the movement of the weapon system, which also seems most plausible to me. Itís all but certain that Iíll be adding a second Sicaran to my collection at some point (thereís something about the lines of this chassis that I really like), so Iíll consider then how I can make the sponsons completely swappable when that time comes.

Iím pleased to present the Obduro Risum Ė ĎThe Last Laughí in its near-complete built state.

For now, this is a studio asset that will need to do some design work before I can paint it and add it to my personal collection. I have three main studio kits in mind to start; armour plating sets (Loyalist and Chaos) to represent Ceramite Plating and/or Extra Armour, a ĎDozer Blade and/or Destroyer Blade in the spirit of my Land Raider Siege Ram kit, and some kind of simple Tread Plate kit to add some interest to those bland tracks. All of these kits, and all kits in general, will be designed with Chaos and Loyalist versions, and both 40k and 30k settings in mind, when it makes sense to do so. Thatís not to say there wonít be some exclusively Chaos or Loyalist kits, but that will only be in certain circumstances.

As always, the order and timing of these kits is still uncertain. For now Iím focusing on getting key official kits in to my modest studio, assembled to a point that I can use them for accurate measuring, test fitting, and scale comparison, for the kits I plan to produce in the future. With that heavy lifting done I will have the Ďscaffoldsí I need to produce a wide range of kits for The Dark Works.

With that, we come to the end of this, The Good chapter of my exploits in building Forge World models. Next up, The Bad chapter chronicling my efforts to assemble the Spartan Assault Tank. Followed by, The Ugly chapter where I descend into the emotional turmoil that is trying to properly assemble the Fire Raptor Gunship.

Thank you, as always, for your interest (silent or not), feedback, input, critique, and all general musings about what Iím doing. Community support really has been key to me building the confidence to even consider the possibilities that I have before me, and I canít see that ever changing. Much more to come, and I hope you enjoy hitching long for the ride; Iím glad to have you along!
KahRyez and Old Man78 like this.

post #150 of 305 (permalink) Old 07-25-16, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

In a dark corner of southern Canada. The sound of crickets in the night?

*Rivet... rivet... rivet... rivet... rivet... rivet... rivet... rivet... rivet... rivet...*

*Rivet... rivet... rivet... rivet... rivet... rivet... rivet... rivet...* Oh, nope. Subtle is just finishing his detailing.

Almost... finished... the... Shield... Generator... *Rivet... rivet... rivet... rivet... rivet... rivet...*

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Tags
black legion , kit bashing , resin casting , scratch building , tools

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode