Legion Rising - Projects from The Dark Works - Page 10 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 320 (permalink) Old 03-09-15, 02:17 PM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Remember guys, if any of you used his products, be sure to post of pictures so people can see them. I'm sure it would mean a lot to him to see his efforts being used by others.

I used his Chaos trims on this baby:

Keep up the good work man - Can't wait to see the next products you come up with!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 320 (permalink) Old 03-09-15, 03:03 PM
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtle Discord View Post
Am I the only one who buys a Forge World model with eager anticipation, only to be so intimidated by it, that sits for months and years? I even know it's going to happen, but I like to have the plastic for its potential, even if it needs to wait, or intimidates me, to the point of procrastination. I want it there for when I finally have the conviction to attempt the build.
No, you definitely aren't!

My Fire Raptor is still just sitting there. I cleaned up most of the pieces, but just can't bring myself to get it done, as I feel my skills aren't there yet. I want to cast Reaper Batteries (among other details), since I'm a Chaos player as well, but I keep thinking I'd just mess them up and waste the rubber/resin used in the process and be no closer to finishing.

SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -
post #93 of 320 (permalink) Old 03-09-15, 05:54 PM

Dorns Legacy's Flag is: Great Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
Remember guys, if any of you used his products, be sure to post of pictures so people can see them. I'm sure it would mean a lot to him to see his efforts being used by others.

I used his Chaos trims on this baby:

Keep up the good work man - Can't wait to see the next products you come up with!
That Land Raider looks amazing have some cookeh

post #94 of 320 (permalink) Old 03-09-15, 06:36 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

How the heck did I miss this thread's existence? A LOT of great stuff here. I dig it completely!

And now I'm getting that itch to work on stuff for my Sisters. The basic Immolator kit isn't ornate enough in my opinion.

Though that'd pull away from the Eldar I'm trying to work on.... And then there is that Xenos Inquisitor I need to finish (he needs some GS work to give him some fur for his cape to kind of fill things in a bit because as is he's visually a bit "front heavy" around the head and shoulders).

This would be an easier choice if sleeping wasn't something I needed to do you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomlust View Post
No, you definitely aren't!

My Fire Raptor is still just sitting there. I cleaned up most of the pieces, but just can't bring myself to get it done, as I feel my skills aren't there yet. I want to cast Reaper Batteries (among other details), since I'm a Chaos player as well, but I keep thinking I'd just mess them up and waste the rubber/resin used in the process and be no closer to finishing.
One of the tips I learned locally is if you're building a FW resin model using a little resin to "glue" the joints together can go a long way. It'll basically make joined pieces into a single piece and can help fill gaps.

It's a trick I've seen employed on a couple of things and to my knowledge is being used to build a Reaver Titan so that it isn't as fragile as it'd be with pins and superglue.
post #95 of 320 (permalink) Old 03-27-15, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Subtle Discord's Flag is: Canada

Default Mechanicus?

Oh, touchť GW... touchť. Now I have to start a Dark Mechanicus army. Well played.

"The old galaxy is dying, and the new galaxy struggles to be born; now is the time of monsters."

post #96 of 320 (permalink) Old 04-06-15, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

With three weeks left of classes, the light is at the end of the tunnel for this year, and the studio is beckoning. It's been hectic, and there's still much more to come, but I've had an undeniable desire to take some of my new SolidWorks knowledge and dabble with something Warhammer 40k related. So, with a holiday Friday I decided to take the day as a tiny bit of a break, and do just that.

I'm quite pleased with what I was able to do in a day and a bit of work; it's not near finished, but it's a solid start.

This is beginning of my take on the Land Raider 'Dozer Blade that I have plans on making. I was only able to get the chassis link, the main arm, and the ram link finished before I ran out of time. Rather than making a 'blade' designed to push earth, I decided to make it more of a Siege Ram, designed to knock down obstacles and ram breaches in fortifications. Once in position the ram can lift up as the 'Raider assault ramp opens. It will be completely modular, so I will make both Traitor and Loyalist versions using the same base hardware.

And with that little teaser, I must slip back into the all concealing shadow that is higher learning. More to come, in due time.

"The old galaxy is dying, and the new galaxy struggles to be born; now is the time of monsters."

Last edited by Subtle Discord; 04-06-15 at 09:39 PM.
post #97 of 320 (permalink) Old 04-06-15, 12:34 PM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Looks really good so far mate. Another idea for you, could you look into making some sturdier predator sponsons for the followers of the dark gods?

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #98 of 320 (permalink) Old 05-04-15, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Well then, with my higher learning responsibilities finished early this week (two years down, two years to goÖ *whew*) and catching up on some much needed sleep, itís finally time to return to the hobby and my studio for the summer months. My apologies to anyone reading this who may have contacted me in the last few weeks with no reply, Iíll be sitting down to write to several people over the next few days.

The plan was to dive into some casting as soon as classes finished, replenishing gaps in my stock, but the state of my studio has forced me into a detour. College projects have a way of turning my already modestly cluttered studio space into an absolute disaster. Add to that the new equipment, materials, moulds, and stock, which Iíve added to the studio over the years and the dysfunction has reached a tipping point. This year I canít just clean up, I need to do a major overhaul of how the entire space is arranged. Iíve started the daunting task, but itís going to take several more days to get everything settled in. Rest assured that once Iím done, a casting run is priority one, followed closely by much more.

For those who are interested in my actual army progress, it is my hope to force myself into some scheduled painting time this summer; wearing so many hats for the studio consumes so many hours, Iíve come to the conclusion that I wonít get any painting done unless I literally block out time in my schedule for it. So many elements of the army rebuild (started in late 2011) are so close to finished, itís downright depressing to see it all stuck in limbo for so long. Iím sure Iíll still struggle to get as much progress as I would like, but weíll see what I can manage.

Now, while Iíve been hiding under a rock for the last several days as I decompress from classes, and started to take care of the studio reorganization, I havenít been idle on the creation front. Let me introduce the first in a new class of kit that I have plans for production.

Iíve nicknamed this model The Little Snapping Turtle, in honour of its armoured chassis and the future weapon systems that will give it a bite.

The Land Raider Siege Ram that I was dabbling with earlier (that is also being re-worked and will turn up in its finished state soon) was just as taste of what I want to do with my expanding skillset; college is teaching me much, and now I want to start apply those teachings. This is the calibre of model I want to make going forward, and this is just the tip of the spear.

Donít get me wrong, I love scratch building, but itís become apparent that if I want to take my kits to the next level Iíll need to improve my process on several fronts. Detailing at this scale becomes exponentially harder when youíre doing it by hand, and some forms and shapes are just impossible or impractical to do with a reasonable amount of labour. My plan is to blend the two methods, using 3D models made with rapid prototyping (RP) combined with CNC cut scratch built styrene when each makes sense. In most cases this will entail building the larger structural pieces in styrene, and then using RP components and panels to detail the kit.

This is completely new territory for me, and Iím still researching exactly who will be doing my printing and best practices for rapid prototyping, so it will take me a little more time to get that all sorted. I expect the turn-around time for my prints to be at least 10-14+ days, so Iím working on a few self-contained kits right away. While theyíre being made I will work on other studio tasks and builds.

A three-quarter view to give a better look; I added some lighting to the bottom pictures to give some depth and contrast.

While I dabbled with 3D modeling in the past using SketchUp, the software just wasnít up to the task of producing the details I was trying to create. I got ok results, but it was a fight to get it to work on such a small scale. Learning SolidWorks has changed all of that. The learning curve is challenging, but the power of the software makes it worth every bit of effort, and I think this little model proves the point well. Iím very pleased with how it has turned out, and I canít wait to do the weapon systems for it.

In the short term I plan to finish off this heavy weapon platform (next up, weapons), the ĎRaider siege ram, a long planned jet-bike, and maybe a few other small odds-and-ends. Once those are sent off for prototyping I will be turning my sights to the Storm Raven extension kit that many have been inquiring about, along with some other ideas I have brewing. From there I want to use the Strom Raven kit as a stepping off point to produce the full Chaos Storm Eagle kit that Iíve had waiting for far too long to start; with all of the skills and equipment finally coming together, a kit as large as the Eagle has finally started to become possibleÖ I think.

But all of that, as they say, is another story for another day. While heavy on words and light on photos, this installment in Legion Rising marks the start of much more. Iíve taken it this far, I feel confident that I can take it farther. As usual, you can expect documentation of my exploits here over the coming weeks, months, and years. Stay tuned.

And, as always, comments, questions, input, feedback and all other general hobby musings are always welcome.

post #99 of 320 (permalink) Old 05-04-15, 04:23 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Whoa. I....just whoa. Keep it coming!!

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #100 of 320 (permalink) Old 05-04-15, 11:49 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

This stuff looks excellent as usual. I look forward to your growth as a designer with anticipation!

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Tags
black legion , kit bashing , resin casting , scratch building , tools

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode