Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Grey Knight Project - By SSG.House

3K views 35 replies 5 participants last post by  SSG.House 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my Grey Knight project. Im getting back into Warhammer 40k after several years.
Im sharing this to give you all some laughs and also to fish for advice. Im not a Master painter, or even a novice. Im going to be trying to paint these to the best of my ability, and look foreward to some positive feedback and tips etc.

Here is the army as it stands at this moment. Please note, I still have a Dreadnaught and 2 boxes of GKs in shipping. As mentioned in another thread I have no dedicated transports or Landraiders yet. (No fliers either ATM) Im going to save those for next month.
Im still trying to find a place or site I can buy my paints/washes etc from. I do have two cans of chaos black for the base coat.

Any help would be awesome.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
My intent origionally was to magnetize the heavy weapons, NDKs, and DNs, to allow for modularity. But quickly relized my brain doesnt soak up knowledge like it used to and the one person who was helping me I think got frustrated with my issues.

That plan has been scrapped, so now im going to figure a new way to maintain modularity based on what im going to be playing against.

Im thinking Im going to make 3 squads of 10 Strike Squads, and 1 Purifier...then next month purchase another 10 man squad and make them Interceptors.

As for the termies.... Im not so sure about......yet. I like the idea of the Paladins...but yet I need more research on the pros and cons. Ive been reading via these forums Termies suck in 6th ed. (My old Death Wing used to be walking tanks) But again I need more knowledge on this.

The Dreadnaughts I wanted to use as more of a ranged attacker, (Ive never used DNs so its new to me...more research is needed)

NDKs Close range I was thinking Infernos and Nem. Broadswords. (Like DNs I havent ever used and I need more research)

I want an Army, that can take and hold ground. I want hard hitting actions on objective, and violence of action. Any tips would be Awesome!

#17 ·
I want an Army, that can take and hold ground. I want hard hitting actions on objective, and violence of action.
Hahahaha VOMFA! I think is what you mean eh ;)

as for your paints man just make a quick trip to your FLGS and pick up the basics for what youre doing. Red, Black and Gunmetal should do you to get started while USPS figures their life out :) ill be watching for these as they become painted.

#3 ·
Ah Grey Knights, where three different kits will make your whole army haha So what exactly are you trying to do? Find a way to use all the bits in the box rather than make some Knights permanently use a certain weapon? Really, Grey Knights will do anything you want them to do and more. You can play medium point lists and literally have a dozen models on the table, and you'll still be likely to win. Were you thinking of normal Grey Knight colors or a unique palette?

#4 ·
I really want to follow the GK paint scheme. But I would love to do some shading and highlighting to help them stand out. I dig the silver. And would love to try to put some blue into the over all finish.

What I origionally intended was to keep my GKs modular. The only items magnatized would've been the heavy weapons. Although the more I read the more I see people sticking to Psycannons and psyammo.
No I wasnt going to go nuts and use every bit. I was thinking long term bang for the buck. quick swapping of heavy weapon systems based on what I thought I would need against what ever fight I was going into, versus the cookie cutter psycannon/psyammo build.

I believe I spelled it out in my second post in the thread

#10 ·
Code:
Thanks. Its been quite a while since I have put a model together, let alone a miniture. Im impressed by the amount of pieces and extras on the sprues. Think I will donate them to the forums.

Stupid question though. Im waiting on my rule book etc, all I have currently is the GK Codex. Does the big hammer and halbreds count as heavy weapons? Currently all of them cept 4 are armed with the NFS. Those 4 have Psicannons.
Its been several years since I have played or built an Army..

#15 ·
Temporary set back. Paints have disapeered in shipping. FedEx says they were delivered Monday, but shipment hasn't arrived. GW is pointing the finger at FedEx, FedEx is pointing the finger at USPS, and USPS is lost in the sauce.

I didn't primer Monday because it's super humid right now. I did manage to drill the barrels out.
They are not perfect, but they are done. Pics to come later

#20 ·
Got my paints in. Now waiting for the humidity level to drop some. I don't know what happened,
But FedEx dropped the box off a few minutes ago. Sunday will be primer day, and next week paint begins. A storm rolled through here so humidity was high. Should clear up by sunday.

#23 ·
More pics of the NDK.

BTW, thats only two coats of the base color (kantor blue, runefang steel, and lahmian medium)
No shading or highlighting has been attempted or done. Tips and hints would be awesome.

I primed using Chaos Black rattle can

Attachments

#25 ·
Thanks brother! Coming from you that means a lot.
Any feedback is great, good bad or ugly....but theres a handful of people here that the feedback means a ton. And yer one of em.

Im trying to figure out a way to highlight etc.

I have never made the attempt to paint the way Im painting these guys.

BTW other then the rattle can primer, its all brush work. Instead of testors brushes I invested in a nice set of brushes from an art store in chico

#29 ·
I'd go ahead and go with he mail to Djinn option ;) (seriously have you seen his work? Ridiculously good)

Ive also been toying with this and since you actually have a surface that it can be applied easier to you may want to give it a go. Try using airbrush drying retarder instead of water when wet blending. Ive done a few trial runs and the paints behave similar to oils which from what I have seen is the best way to achieve a good wet blend technique. I dont have any pics of my trial but as soon as i get some ill post them up to sho

#34 ·
Until he does however i recommend Youtube. Djinn himself has a few videos there about painting and there is a plethora of tutorials that cater to beginner to intermediate painters. I spend hours looking at turorials and painting techniques for either ideas on a new technique or how to improve one i already have tried. For the absolute beginner getting the citaedl How to Paint guide is actually not a bad idea as it gives you the basics as well as some intermediate techniques to use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.