Death to the False Emperor! Alasdair's Renegade Guard - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-13, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

alasdair's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Death to the False Emperor! Alasdair's Renegade Guard

Hi guys

I have finally got up off my ass and started a plog. I have been putting it off due to lack of funds for a new army, no ideas, all that rubbish. Anyway.

This is hopefully going to amount to 1500pts when it is done, with plenty of forge world, conversions, and all that loveliness, but I don't actually have a list yet. I should probably get on that.

Here are my first 10 militiamen in their current state. That's a 'sergeant', a vox caster, plasmagunner, meltagunner, and 6 normal renegades. They are converted from the forge world renegade militia torsos/heads and weapons, with Fantasy flagellant cloaked legs, and some etched brass symbols. I am quite fond of them. I apologise for the extremely poor pictures. It is late and I am quite tired, but by next post I will have some decent lighting and backdrop. Currently they are just on my shelf!

At the moment, 5 of them are just basecoated Zandri Dust, 2 of them that with some Rakarth flesh detailing, and the other 3 having nearly all their undercoats complete. The metal is currently a flat rusty orange, but it will not remain this way. After a brown wash, it will be stippled metal to create a burnished, weathered, rusty metal effect (well if it turns out like it has already in my head)

Here are those three:

For some reason in this light the cloaks look slightly green. I assure you they are more yellow in real life.

I hope you enjoy, until next time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-13, 09:45 PM

Hydraulix's Flag is: USA

Keep it up, Looking sexy ;)

"I wager my testicles and the ongoing chance of fulfilling the lady friends desires and therefore my continued ability to breath that I'm not the only one in that boat as well."-Jacobite
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-13, 02:13 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

From the lighting I can't tell if these are primed or not. If they are not primed I'd highly recommend priming.

I'm also not sure what your light source is, it looks like a regular incandescent light bulb. But many smart phones have a camera setting for white balance. You'll want to choose the setting that looks like a lightbulb, which will represent incandescent/tungsten bulbs which make your subjects look more orange.

Otherwise, keep up the good work.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-13, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Hi guys

Only a minor update, but at least my pics are slightly better.

They are all entirely undercoated apart from the skin. Most of them have a first coat of skin needing another one and about 4 of them dont have it at all, but apart from that they are ready for shading.

To be honest I have no idea why the cloaks have turned out so green. The paint I am using is Zandri Dust, which previously, was a lot more yellow/brown in my mind. It doesn't really matter though, the green tinge fits!

Hopefully when I have some more supplies I can get on with the washing, and I am also planning on getting a sentinel perhaps soon.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-13, 08:45 AM

wombat_tree's Flag is: Australia

Interesting colour choice. There's not really a lot I can say because they're still so early in the painting process, but from what I can tell they're looking pretty good so far.

In regards to your colours turning out strangely, have the pigments in the paint perhaps begun to separate? Try giving you paint a good shake if they are as that can result in some unusual colour changes. Though, like you said there isn't really anything wrong with the green tinge.

Praise the sun!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-13, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Update:

I managed to get an hour or two today to get some more work done on these guys. With a new pot of agrax earthshade in hand I recommenced painting. They all have the wash on them, and I have finished the first one as a test model.

Overall, I am very happy with the result. I went a dirty, earthy brown using a combination of thinned paints, and sepia/brown washes to get rich, almost saturated color on the cloak. I think the main thing I could have done better is the cowl, but it will do.

I also bought and built up my first larger model, a sentinel. I used brass etch, ork and chaos bitz to convert it. When I get back hold of my files I will get to work on the mold lines and sprue cuts, but I still really like the result.

Until next time!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-13, 12:29 AM

Ddraig Cymry's Flag is: USA

Nice use of Forge World parts! This is certainly a lovely looking traitor army! What focus are you going for? Mech or foot slogging?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-13, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddraig Cymry View Post
Nice use of Forge World parts! This is certainly a lovely looking traitor army! What focus are you going for? Mech or foot slogging?
Funny you should say that, I am currently in the process of writing a list! It's shaping up to be something like veteran squads in chimeras, with supporting sentinels, psyker squad and manticores, so I guess mech, but with some variation!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-13, 01:27 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

The wash makes these guys really work well, quite a unique look. Looking forward to seeing more. What scheme are you thinking of going with on the vehicles?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-13, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
The wash makes these guys really work well, quite a unique look. Looking forward to seeing more. What scheme are you thinking of going with on the vehicles?
Thanks Jacobite! I really enjoy painting in a more artsy than realistic style and im glad you like it. I think for the vehicles I am going to go extremely heavy with the same rust effect. The sentinel is currently entirely orange with a brown wash drying on it, and from there I willh either do some salt weathering or just do the same stippling effect I do for the normal troops armor and weapons.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode