Necron Army Log (C&C welcome!) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-13, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

Loki1416's Flag is: USA

Default Necron Army Log (C&C welcome!)

Got a good deal from someone for some Crons so decided to start a new army. Painted up 3 as a test scheme to see if I liked it and what others thought.
Right now I'm going for a rusty, mossy, swampy theme. Have not based any yet as I'm practicing with the water effects to get comfortable with it. When comfortable, will make their bases seem like they are standing in swampy water. The basic premise is that on their Tomb World, they got flooded over time. All years of inactivity let the rust and moss build up on their bodies.
Used the salt/hair spray technique for the first time and am quite happy with how it turned out. As always, I think more practice and I'll make it look all the better. Of course, they are not done. Going to practice OSL on these guys.
Primed:Black
Based: Mephiston Red
Rust: Stippled a light and dark brown for variation
Layer: Codex Grey (airbrushed on)
Toothbrushed salt off
Layer: Leadbelcher (Wanted some "true necron metal" to show)

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-13, 04:15 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

A great start I say. I'll be very interested to see how you go on the vehicles with this. The moss looks a little big I think, have you considered using some very fine sand and painting it green? Also maybe a brown wash to get some rust in the joints?

That said the salt technique has yeilded some awesome results on the flat portions!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-13, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

@Jacobite: Thank you. I've put one coat of watered down sepia in the joints and plan on doing several more until it looks like the rust/dirt has built up. Like silt settles in the rocks of a swamp/marsh/river. Was thinking the moss looked a little big as well. Made some the way you suggested for a castle my son painted, will try that on there. Wanted to try actual greens first though to see how it looked. Another thing I tried was taking cotton balls, splitting it up, dunking in a pva glue, water, dark green paint mixture. The pieces came out awesome, but big. Still experimenting with it though to see what effects that I can get outa it. For the vehicles, if I do go with this theme, they will be rusty as well of course, but I can do some larger vines hanging off them or even kind of wrapped around them.
In the deal I got 2x ghost/doomsday arks, 1x night/doom scythe, 1x command/annihilation barge, 40xwarriors, and 20x immortal/deathmarks. So I have a lot to play around with and practice with. Was really torn between this theme and a snow'ish (off white necrons with blue where all the green would normally go). All in all, it's a fun break from painting my DA army.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-13, 11:34 AM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Try coating the moss (it looks similar to woodland senics coarse turf?) with a watered down mix of PVA glue instead. Ive used a similar technique on my own models and it compacts everything together. It also gives you a surface that can be painted if you want to make it stick out a bit more. I have an example lying around the house that i can show you when i get home.

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-13, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

@swedemarine: Thats a good idea. would like to see the pic when you get a chance.
I did make up some painted sand (fine sand, pva, green paint) and put it on the one that had no moss. Gave me a great comparrison to look at.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-13, 02:54 AM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Heres the pics I promised. One thing i want to note its that it may take several coats of the glue to get the effect you want. Ive also found the adding water to the turf and then compressing it before adding the glue will give you a stiffer result as it tends to act like a sponge. But i think in your case you will be good to go with just one or possibly two coats of the mixture. If you decide to try this let us know how it turns out. I Might start using a similar method for basing.

[IMG][/IMG]

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-13, 04:21 AM

VanAlberict's Flag is: USA

im in love with these... sometimes i wish i had the time/funds to start a 40k army but my fantasy one is finally coming along so maybe eventually

cant wait to see more of these ^^

~- Van
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-13, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

Update: Some WIP of the Night Scythe. A lot more to do to it, but I'm loving the way it's come out so far.
@: Jacobite: Thanks for the tip and the photo's. I took off the grass moss and replaced it with the sand/paint mix. It looked a LOT better. Was a little tricky to work with, to get it into tight spots. But, a little clean up for a better look is no big deal. Thanks again!
@: SwedeMarine: Thanks for the tip on the grass moss. Played around with it and stuck some more PVA to it and compressed it. Looked a lot better, but I still wasnt happy for it on the soldiers.

[/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Loki1416; 07-20-13 at 03:34 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Some more update to the flier. Started working on the green in all the places and been working on the base. What's taking so long is I got some realistic water that I'm going to put on the front part (where there is no moss). Been trying to get it just right, how I was happy with it. So now that I "kinda" figured it out, will be putting that on soon. But, thought you al might like to see what I have done so far.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-13, 01:35 AM

Hydraulix's Flag is: USA

This is great work, very inspiring with the moss. Keep it up lets see some more!

"I wager my testicles and the ongoing chance of fulfilling the lady friends desires and therefore my continued ability to breath that I'm not the only one in that boat as well."-Jacobite

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode