Jac's Log Of Everything other than Yearly PC (Tau, Radical =I=, 48MM, Space Marines) - Page 9 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 247 (permalink) Old 02-05-14, 08:45 PM

torealis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Absolutely love the ogryn.

Not sure about the helmeted psykers though

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 247 (permalink) Old 02-05-14, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Cheers tor, the big fella has come out much better than I expected given what I had to work with. I know what you mean about the Psykers, they aren't great and if this was a force that I was doing as anything other than a "throw random spare minis together in a force to use them up" I wouldn't be using them. I am tempted to change the heads to something 3rd party maybe but I'm not sure what. I want them to look different but I can't figure out how else to do it without dropping a lot of time and effort of money into it. What about the helmets doesn't work for you?
post #83 of 247 (permalink) Old 02-06-14, 10:40 PM

I guess for me it makes them look too much like soldiers, rather than raw psychic nutbags...

post #84 of 247 (permalink) Old 02-07-14, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

That's a fair point, I guess the angle I was going for was that the helmets are their to contain their powers. Tempted to paint the helmets with hazard lines all over them to emphasize it is a bit.
post #85 of 247 (permalink) Old 02-07-14, 07:45 AM

Maybe try to change the shape a bit more?

post #86 of 247 (permalink) Old 02-07-14, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

I could but I'm already changing the helmets alot on another of my IG forces, don't want them too look to similar, the same problem with using hairy heads, I'm planning on using them on my Highlanders. At the end of the day these guys are really far down my priority list in terms of what I want to look awesome sadly.
post #87 of 247 (permalink) Old 02-07-14, 09:28 AM

To be fair, if they don't match your army, that's what counts. I was judging them based on standard Cadian and the like.

Having read the rumours about plastic ogyrns are you still going ahead with yours?

post #88 of 247 (permalink) Old 02-07-14, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Oh they stick out likes dogs balls next to the penal legionaries, they are the only ones with helmets in the whole force. The Custodians all have peaked caps. Yeap the little lost ogyrn is still a go. I'm only intending on having one in the force, if I do pick up any of the new kits (if they exist) they will go in the Highlanders Force when it's built. Once those 5 Pyskers are painted then this force is done Infantry wise if not finished full stop (I may add a pair of hellhounds to it if I feel like it). The Highlanders will have Xeno's Mounted Rough Riders with them so it's more than feasable that they would also have Ogyrn or Ratlings in their force. The Penal Legionaries are just using up minis that I can't sell for any decent amount of money or use in another force.
post #89 of 247 (permalink) Old 02-09-14, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Boom, finished the Custodians:

I'm pretty happy with how they have turned out, they look very different to the normal legionaries but still fit in due to the color palate. I think they also look different enough to normal Cadians to make it clear they aren't run of the mill. Only thing about them is that I think they look a little like the Mordian Ironguard. Not that that is a problem, I really enjoyed painting them.

Not bad for a squad of guys thrown together out of spare parts. This one above you will notice is actually the mini I was going to use as the Captain. I changed my mind and made him a Custodian/Body Guard depending on the list for a variety of reasons the main one being that the mini that is now the Captain stuck out due to the epaulets. So I ripped his swagger stick off him (a bit gutted about that as I really wanted to use it but anyway) and changed his PS to a Chainsword. I don't like the head that is on him but I have another one of the ones that is on the rest of the squad winging it's way to me from Bits and Kits so when that arrives I'll paint that up and put it on him, untill them the one that's on him will do just fine. This is what their shoulder pads look like:

So the white bar is a rank marking (custodian) and the white dots are their squad number if they are squad leaders in the list or just service studs if they are Command Squad members. The one without the studs is the Custodian of the Pyskers or the most junior member of the Command Squad.

I was stuck at what to put on the other shoulder pad and tried to put the writing that is on the banner but failed so instead I went with a P for Penal Legion. Then I realised that it looked a little like a P plate so I turned the bottom of it to an L. So now it's a monogram for Penal Legion. I'd have liked to have worked a C in there somewhere but I couldn't be bothered (I suppose the curve of the P could form a backwards C, that'l do.)

Anyway here is the Captain:

I'm quite happy with this guy, I felt a little bad taking a knife to the original mini (a classic commissar tank commander) but I think I have made it work and done it justice. Finding a way to give him a CCW was tricky so I just went with a chain-sword shoved into in the ground so he is WYSIWYG legal. He's just a bare bones Officer after all.

And here they all are against the load of scum they lead:

So still got the Commissar Lord and the Little Lost Ogyrn to come, they are half painted and then next month it'll be the Pysker Battle Squad/Primus Pysker. Cookie for anybody who can spot the massive cock up I made as well.
post #90 of 247 (permalink) Old 02-09-14, 05:06 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Oh man that is so... very... awesome...

I'm kinda reminded of the original wolfenstein when I look at them though...

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode