Jac's Log Of Everything other than Yearly PC (Tau, Radical =I=, 48MM, Space Marines) - Page 8 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 247 (permalink) Old 01-28-14, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

So I trimmed the lower barrell, thinking it is more of a hand hold now, also added a mag:

This is what the arm looks like now, obviously he needs some GS in the arm. The hand and weapon aren't glued in yet, that'll happen after he has been painted, then I'll glue, GS the gap and paint the join:

Also throwing some Pysker Battle Squad muppets together from spare parts because they seem to fit the theme of a Penal Legion. Mutant scum.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 247 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Still need to do some GS'ing on these guys and obviously the Ogyrn but I'll do them together, rather than just having normal cadian helmets I wanted something different. Because I'm lazy I thought I would put some visor's on them using plastic card to see if that would look ok before trying it with some GS. What do you think? Does it A) Different and B) alright? or does it just look a bit shit?

The other option is too just use GS to cover the eyes and make it a sort of internal visor like what you get in some motorcycle helmets where you have a sun visor which just covers your eyes and then the normal one which covers your face. Anyway thoughts?

As you can tell I'm really making an effort here ;)
post #73 of 247 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 09:17 AM

revolantis's Flag is: Ireland

I think the plasticard visor looks pretty good as it is but the two "pegs" sticking out either side are maybe protruding a bit too much if you know what I mean? Perhaps you could remedy this by either using shorter pegs, or having a shorter band that terminates at the "ear nodes" so it looks as though they are housing the visor bolts. Sorry about the dodgy terminology, I realise now that my vocabulary falls short when it come to discussing visor anatomy!

By the way I've just had a look at some of these penal legion fellows and they are looking great. Particularly the Ogryn.

Last edited by revolantis; 01-29-14 at 09:20 AM.

post #74 of 247 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 12:24 PM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post

As you can tell I'm really making an effort here ;)
You should name him Geordi.

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

Last edited by SwedeMarine; 01-29-14 at 12:33 PM.
post #75 of 247 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 12:29 PM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Or - Make him cry, half self-esteem issues and a complete lack of authority and name him Scott Summers!
post #76 of 247 (permalink) Old 01-30-14, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolantis View Post
I think the plasticard visor looks pretty good as it is but the two "pegs" sticking out either side are maybe protruding a bit too much if you know what I mean? Perhaps you could remedy this by either using shorter pegs, or having a shorter band that terminates at the "ear nodes" so it looks as though they are housing the visor bolts. Sorry about the dodgy terminology, I realise now that my vocabulary falls short when it come to discussing visor anatomy!

By the way I've just had a look at some of these penal legion fellows and they are looking great. Particularly the Ogryn.
Cheers revo, I agree about the pegs, suffice to say that it is no longer an issue, see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeMarine View Post
You should name him Geordi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
Or - Make him cry, half self-esteem issues and a complete lack of authority and name him Scott Summers!
Don't worry lads, air filter face and the whingy bitch x-man aren't needed. I ended up GS'ing some heads up anyway. Not sure if the eye covering will be cloth or metal yet, see what happens when I paint them. I also added a bit of GS to the top of the helmet just to make them a little different. Paintwise, like the Penal Legionaries it will be a mix of grey and blue but I'm thinking instead of white possibly using yellow instead, just to make them fit in but also look a bit different (as they should).

Full Squad:

Individuals:

And a view of that top band:

Not the greatest job in the world but then again they were made out of the random contents of my bits box and they look different enough from the Penal Legionaries to make it clear they are different.

As for their squad leader, well I have two options and will depend on what the list is:

One is a classic Pysker Mini and the other is a Custodian I converted out of cadian legs and a classic commissar tank commander.

I think they look good with both and it depends on if I wanting to run a Company Command Squad as an HQ or a Primus Psyker and a Lord Commissar. Nice to have options. I don't have a problem with either fluffwise, if I am using the Primus Psyker mini I just say he's not a pysker, all the gadgetry and the staff are actually wards to protect his squad from attacking him. Or something like that. The advantage of creating this squad with junk from my bits box is that if I come across other random IG bodies (as you often do if you get a lot of your minis second hand like I do) then I can very easily just shove them in this squad. Boom happy enough with it.

Last edited by Jacobite; 01-30-14 at 01:57 AM.
post #77 of 247 (permalink) Old 01-30-14, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Thought I would do a separate post for this guy seeing as FF makes it a pain to post photos and he's special. I'm actually spending more time on him than I thought I would, I'm actually really enjoying working on something where I don't have to follow any rules for what the parts should look like. So anyway, changes from the previous version are:

- Changed the right hand to be closed
- Changed the hand holding the gun. I ditched the Ogre one and replaced it with a terminator storm bolter hand, to make it a bit different instead of just sticking the hand on I've used two TDA wrists and GS'd over them to make his forearm look long enough.
- Changed the gun a bit. He will still be carried it "underslung" so speak. Also added some plasticard to the back to cover the hole. It still needs to be trimmed though
- Added some pistony type things to arm to bulk it up and make it look less like a TDA arm. Need to add a couple of rivets to the bands holding them in place.
- Gave him a hat. I didn't want to just give a mohawk or bandana like the Penal Legionaries. I want to keep him visually different but in the same colors to make it clear he isn't on Death Row, he's just ended up with the Penal Legion because the higher ups had nowhere else to put him. Hence why he doesn't have a collar as well. So I gave him a beanie instead, it's one of those long ones (like what Opie has in SOA). It still needs a little work, probably going to give it a folded over rim so it doesn't look quite so much like a pile of dog shit. (It won't be painted brown for the same reason!). I like to this the LLO's (little lost ogyrn's) Mummy gave it to him before he went off to war and it's the only thing that he's managed to keep hold of through his many travels.

Anyway:

So one more session on him and he will be done. Add the rivets, do the fold on the hat. I won't glue the gun on till after he is painted. I'll have to do a little GS work when the gun is glued but that won't be too hard, it's just a case of making the gun mounting look natural.
post #78 of 247 (permalink) Old 02-01-14, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Got the rivets done and decided against the idea of the rim on the hat. Pretty happy with how he looks actually, for a thrown together mini he came out quite well and doesn't look too similar to the Orge he is based on, well he does but he certainly won't look out of place in a 40k force:

I know the APC thread an't up yet but I am taking a break from the Mino's this month and doing this CCS:

Also doing this guy at the same time, just did the reds tonight:

post #79 of 247 (permalink) Old 02-04-14, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Had a busy couple of days with work but I managed to get some stuff done today. Blue and leathers are done. Flesh and metals up next then it's details.

Also did the leathers on the Commissar:

post #80 of 247 (permalink) Old 02-05-14, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Worked away on the flesh yesterday:

Group shot:

Individuals:

I'm also working away on the Oyryn. Pretty happy with the flesh although I'm trying to make the flesh around the bionics look bruised and unhappy and it's worked at the front but at the back it just looks a bit dirty. I'll give it another go later today:

I'm liking where these guys are going, very nice to not be painting power armor this month!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode