Jac's Log Of Everything other than Yearly PC (Tau, Radical =I=, 48MM, Space Marines) - Page 17 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #161 of 247 (permalink) Old 04-09-14, 01:26 PM

torealis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Yup, great work as always... really might have to grab that psykers too now...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 247 (permalink) Old 04-09-14, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by torealis View Post
Yup, great work as always... really might have to grab that psykers too now...
Thanks tor, you should, I reakon he would make a great Ordo Hereticus =I=, just file away the eyes on the hem and replace the staff top. I was actually looking at using him as one myself for quite a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeMarine View Post
Always enjoy your updates Jac. Youve got a real knack for salvaging models and turning them into something awesome.
Cheers Swede, it comes from a combination of being a student through 3 years of being in the hobby and living in the most expensive country in the world to buy plastic crack. That and having a lot of time on my hands!
post #163 of 247 (permalink) Old 04-10-14, 12:47 PM

Saintspirit's Flag is: Sweden

I dig those psykers, that old guy looks particularly good. One this though, could be that they might look better if you painted their eyes? Just some small detailing.

My Word Bearers Project
My Tutorials - part 1: Word Bearer
My Tutorials - part 2: Word Bearer Cultist
My Tutorials - part 3: Plaguebearer
My Tutorials - part 4: Plague Marine
Quote:
To make a model into a piece of art, you need to find a model that you like, and a painting scheme that you love.
Quote:
"They are fierce indeed these Kor, and savage. I look upon them and tremble at their ferocity. I can only hope that when the enemy sees them they tremble as I do."

post #164 of 247 (permalink) Old 04-10-14, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Cheers Saint, do you mean in general or just for the Psykers?

I've deliberately not painted the eyes for two reasons, 1 is that I was going for speed and two is that my painting of eyes is a very very hit and miss "oh dear sweet baby jesus he's ruined that mini" kind of thing, this is the main reason all my marines have helmets actually!
post #165 of 247 (permalink) Old 04-10-14, 07:12 PM
LTP

LTP's Flag is: England

Lovely neat painting . The flesh is very neat but I think it would pop a lot more if you maybe highlighted up another shade or two.
post #166 of 247 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 08:09 AM

Saintspirit's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
Cheers Saint, do you mean in general or just for the Psykers?

I've deliberately not painted the eyes for two reasons, 1 is that I was going for speed and two is that my painting of eyes is a very very hit and miss "oh dear sweet baby jesus he's ruined that mini" kind of thing, this is the main reason all my marines have helmets actually!
That was mainly the psykers I was meant (as you said, all your marines have helmets). But I can agree with what you say, eyes are often a bit hit or miss.

My Word Bearers Project
My Tutorials - part 1: Word Bearer
My Tutorials - part 2: Word Bearer Cultist
My Tutorials - part 3: Plaguebearer
My Tutorials - part 4: Plague Marine
Quote:
To make a model into a piece of art, you need to find a model that you like, and a painting scheme that you love.
Quote:
"They are fierce indeed these Kor, and savage. I look upon them and tremble at their ferocity. I can only hope that when the enemy sees them they tremble as I do."
post #167 of 247 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTP View Post
Lovely neat painting . The flesh is very neat but I think it would pop a lot more if you maybe highlighted up another shade or two.
Thanks for the feedback LTP, a very good point, I'd need to get another fleshtone, a lighter one, any recommendations? When I start my second force of IG I'll be taking more of an indept way of painting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintspirit View Post
That was mainly the psykers I was meant (as you said, all your marines have helmets). But I can agree with what you say, eyes are often a bit hit or miss.
I've covered the pyskers eyes with a strip of GS that I've painted white, I was thinking it would either be a strip of white cloth or now it turned out to be a strip of white metal or plastic covering their blinded eyes from the soul binding. I've not gone with painting the eyes as I know it would ruin the force, I'm more in the miss rather than the hit group when it comes to eyes.
post #168 of 247 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 11:49 AM
LTP

LTP's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
Thanks for the feedback LTP, a very good point, I'd need to get another fleshtone, a lighter one, any recommendations? When I start my second force of IG I'll be taking more of an indept way of painting them.

I've covered the pyskers eyes with a strip of GS that I've painted white, I was thinking it would either be a strip of white cloth or now it turned out to be a strip of white metal or plastic covering their blinded eyes from the soul binding. I've not gone with painting the eyes as I know it would ruin the force, I'm more in the miss rather than the hit group when it comes to eyes.
To be honest dude you don't need to buy a lighter one. Personally I just add white and/or another lighter paint to the flesh I have and it should look just as good and save you some money . I only use tallern flesh.
post #169 of 247 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Really? Holy shit I knew you were amazing but that just takes it to another level! How do you manage to maintain a consistent tone across multiple miniatures then? Just very good at mixing and correcting as you go?

No pictures tonight more of just some small thoughts on the nature of progressing as a painter. Fair warning now... this may get a bit waffley.

At the moment I'm working on the last two units of 2 separate forces, I've never finished an army through to completion before and by that I mean a very definite finishing point. I've been involved in the hobby for over 15 years, how bad is that! (I'm 25 btw so that may lessen the horror of it) and it's only about 3 and a half years ago that really started to sit down and go "enough fucking about I want to finish a force" that then turned into "I want to finish all the little bits of plastic I own", one problem, I kept on buying things! I'm not the worst best painter, I've never been a "artistic" person in the painting sense of the word, I can barely draw a straight line with a ruler. Mini's wise I'm average at best, I like converting but I loath painting. I also really like the older darker lore and this is what generally drives me to buy minis. My relationship to the hobby has become one of a "I'm going to prove I can do this even though it kills my creativity in other areas", I find instead of working on writing original content that could help my career (I work in the film industry) I end up working on minis, on one side this is good as it gives me a consistent source of escape and sanity and on the other it prevents me from developing that "professional" creative side of me as I am too busy trying to finish painting up little toy soldiers, that "mountain" that has always been a part of my life. My goal is to be done with everything I currently own by the time I am 30, now 5 years seems like a long time but I know what I am like and I want to give myself a long amount of time so I can actually get it done without rushing it.

Anyway what caused this train of thought was working on those Crimson Fury tonight, I had some of the minis I painted 3 years ago sitting in front of me to get a reference as to what I should be going for and I noticed some massive mistakes that I wouldn't make today even when speed painting, things like basecoat showing through in really odd parts or missed touch ups etc The idea of going through and fixing them all makes me want to scream so I might leave them as a constant reminder of where I have come from in 3 years. I have the advantage that I'm really the only one who sees my minis up close, I never game and have no friends that play and very few people know about it. I try to avoid people finding out at all costs for various reasons. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have realised how far I have come in 3 years, minis that 3 years ago I was incredibly proud off today I wouldn't let get varnished but at the same time I have so so so far to go. As I said I am average at best when it comes to painting, maybe a little better at converting. These last two units of the Crimson Fury and the Penal Legion are a bit of a struggle as both forces have been WIP for a few years so I am matching work from a while ago, it's also the fact that I am over painting them but I need to push on through. Once those VV are finished I have a Captain, the Sanguinor and a LRC to finish painting and some touch ups to do on a Rhino, a Razorback and a Dread as well as weathering on about 15 marines. Penal Legionwise it's 2 Sentinels and 3 Arty. After that it is 50 odd Minotaurs which again is going to be a struggle to get through however I know I just need to put my head down and power on through. I think once I have finished these VV I will stop and paint 5-10 Minos to just try and get a headstart on them. I want them done before the end of the year. That means a minimum of 5 per month which is very easy however ideally I want it done in 6 months as I have a few other projects I want finished before the end of the year as well. While the finishing of these two forces may be something of a milestone it is by no means a time to slacken off the pace, infact I need to notch it up slightly.

Anyway hope that's not too wanky for you.
post #170 of 247 (permalink) Old 04-17-14, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Mother of god I am so over painting these dam Veterans. I am forcing myself to not work on anything else till these dam buggers are finished.

Banner at the start of the today:

The design and the product:

and attached to the bearer (not finished):

and other guy who is nearly finished:

In total the squad is about 90% done just detailing/touch ups and the bases to go really. So over it, think I may force myself to paint 5 Minotaurs after this and then reward myself with the two Sentinels I need to paint for the Penal Legion.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode