Horus Heresy Blood Angels - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-01-13, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Martok's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyG View Post
A note from your earlier pics, if you camera has a manual or aperture priority mode, you might want to select a higher aperture (Say start with f8) as in some fo the pics you can see some of the mini is in focus and other parts are not as you have a shallow depth of field (low f number).
Thanks I suck at the photography so any pointers are greatly appreciated :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loli View Post
I've never seen a BA painted Contemptor and I really like it immensely. The weathering is also great.
Thanks man I love that thing if I am honest.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-01-13, 12:45 PM

I am no mini photography expert, i am just a bit fo a photo geek. However it is worth understanding depth fo field, and you have to when you take macro shots, which you need to for minis.

Have a look at this http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...h-of-field.htm - if you look at the three samples under 'Controlling depth of field'/ At f8 you ge the close head and further ones in focus. At f5.6 and f2.8 you see the background is less and less in focus.

When youa re outside taking pics this isn;t as bad as you are focussing far away and the depth fo field (the range of distances from you that are in focus) is generally big-ish. However in macro shots like fo minis then with a low f number you will see that the are in focus is reaaaaaaly thin. In this pic:

...the gun is in focus and everything further back than that, even 5mm behind, is blurry.

What kind of camera do you have? For a start they often have a macro mode that may help. Also if it is in auto mode then the less light, the lower f number the camera will try and choose, as lower f numbers get more light into the camera. Your later pics don;t share the same problem, so things got better.

I am sure there are people here a thousand times better at giving guides to photographing minis, maybe one of them has written up a guide? I am not a modeller so I am not sure.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-01-13, 03:26 PM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

I am loving this mate! Keep it up please

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-04-13, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Martok's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyG View Post
I am no mini photography expert, i am just a bit fo a photo geek. However it is worth understanding depth fo field, and you have to when you take macro shots, which you need to for minis.

Have a look at this http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...h-of-field.htm - if you look at the three samples under 'Controlling depth of field'/ At f8 you ge the close head and further ones in focus. At f5.6 and f2.8 you see the background is less and less in focus.

When youa re outside taking pics this isn;t as bad as you are focussing far away and the depth fo field (the range of distances from you that are in focus) is generally big-ish. However in macro shots like fo minis then with a low f number you will see that the are in focus is reaaaaaaly thin. In this pic:

...the gun is in focus and everything further back than that, even 5mm behind, is blurry.

What kind of camera do you have? For a start they often have a macro mode that may help. Also if it is in auto mode then the less light, the lower f number the camera will try and choose, as lower f numbers get more light into the camera. Your later pics don;t share the same problem, so things got better.

I am sure there are people here a thousand times better at giving guides to photographing minis, maybe one of them has written up a guide? I am not a modeller so I am not sure.
Thanks so much for this. Such a great help! My camera is a Nikon D1300

I had been playing around with this sort of stuff but clearly didn't entirely "get" it. I shall have a crack this eve :D Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMOB View Post
I am loving this mate! Keep it up please
Sweet! I have like 2k of infantry and after that plans on a sizable motor pool before moving to another legion so I promise you there is a lot more to come. However, I have made these guys my "showcase" slow burn project so I work on them when other hobby projects are frustrating me.

- Martok

post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-04-13, 07:17 PM

CubanNecktie's Flag is: Canada

well done. a rarely seen HH legion. fresh (old :p) take on a favorite

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode