Captain Cortez - 54MM (Battle Brother Artemis Conversion). - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-13, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Default Captain Cortez - 54MM (Battle Brother Artemis Conversion).

I managed to pick up a Battle Brother Artemis from Bits and Kits as I've been buying up =I= scale minis and I'm looking to convert him up into Captain Cortez of the Crimson Fists.

Why Cortez I hear you ask? Jac's never shown any interest in Crimson Fist's or even their arch foe Orks before so why is he wanting to desecrate such an awesome mini with a Chapter he's touched before? Well because the Crimson Fists were actually my very first force back when I was 9. I painted a squad of them and then got scared and to my eternal shame went to UM's. One of the main reason's I liked the CF's was because of Cortez and what a badass he is. Broken every bone in his body... fights for 21 hours straight... fights for 6 weeks with no food or water. This is my act of penance for not sticking with them years ago. It's also an attempt to have a better miniature form of Cortez out there in the world than that fucking hideous version in 28mm GW put out a few years ago that seems to OOP now. Thank christ.

Right enough talk about my past transgressions.

Battle Brother Atremis is a beautiful mini and it hurts to take a saw to him but as he is armed with a power sword and bolter it's got to be done, the best donor for the bolt pistol that Cortez is armed with is Witch Hunter Tyrus who the postman finally delivered today that I picked up second hand (only took 4 phone calls from two different people to make that happen. NZ Post if you are reading this. Fuck you). He is also a potential donor for the power fist but this is more problematic. Anyway onto pictures!

Tyrus and Artemis side by side:

And the arm issues...

As you can see the bolt pistol will fit on the right hand pretty well just cut it off just below the elbow and cut Artemis's arm about the same place, bit of a pinning and GS and away you go. The bolt pistol is question is perfect I think as fluff wise he is described as having a master crafted BP.

The power fist is also very cool but there are issues with it.

1) It's not very SM like i.e. pointed fingers, etc - Thats not so much of an issue, the fingers I can cut and resculpt to be rounded. The over all shape isn't so much of a problem as again it's "ancient" fluff wise.

2) The elbow and upper arm are so far beyond the wrong shape I'd really prefer something more marine (round vs square with round edges).

Does anybody know of any alternatives that would possibly work in 54MM scale?

At the moment this is my biggest hurdle and if push comes to shove I will simply use the Tyrus PF.

Keep tuned for updates.

Last edited by Jacobite; 08-25-13 at 11:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-13, 02:58 AM
Bringer of the Apocalypse

Deneris's Flag is: Canada

Have you looked into Hitech Miniatures? They have a line of 54mm sci-fi warriors...

"That, and sending Leman Russ to make a peaceful arrest? That's like sending a rabid Grizzly Bear to teach Kindergarten." - Cole Deschain
"Deneris - you are a legend." - TheKingElessar
"Chingao...sigh..guess I'll stay a slut then..."- Shogun_Nate
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-13, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Just had a look then, they seem to only two and both have right handed PF's. I need a lefty. Thanks Den though.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-13, 10:53 AM

Dorns Legacy's Flag is: Great Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
Just had a look then, they seem to only two and both have right handed PF's. I need a lefty. Thanks Den though.

Why do you need left handed PF he lost his right arm and on the original model of Cortez it was a right handed PF or am i missing something?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-13, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Na you an't missing anything. I am though. Shit. He lost his right arm, not his left. Right looks like that bolt pistol arm is going to be a bionic one!

The reason I'm looking for a left handed power fist is becauce the bolt pistol i had was on the right hand. Although now I'm think I may need to go back to the drawing board, and this is after I've started cutting metal as well. Shit.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-13, 01:16 PM

Dorns Legacy's Flag is: Great Britain

sorry for the spanner in the works but better now than after fixing and pinning the complete model O.o

Also the pistol may still be salvagable if you can cut on the line between pistol and hand you may still be able to attach it to the left hand as the design on the gun is not left or right.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-13, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorns Legacy View Post
sorry for the spanner in the works but better now than after fixing and pinning the complete model O.o
Don't be sorry! It's better to know this now!

Hang on, I posted that reply at midnight where I am. Do you mean this hideous mini:

I'm looking at using the same combo there, PF on our left, BP on our right.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-13, 09:12 PM
Bringer of the Apocalypse

Deneris's Flag is: Canada

So to keep this brutally clear in my easily-befuddled mind... WHICH arm do you want the fist for?

"That, and sending Leman Russ to make a peaceful arrest? That's like sending a rabid Grizzly Bear to teach Kindergarten." - Cole Deschain
"Deneris - you are a legend." - TheKingElessar
"Chingao...sigh..guess I'll stay a slut then..."- Shogun_Nate
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-13, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Sweet as Den I'm not being clear:

Last edited by Jacobite; 06-30-13 at 07:35 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-13, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Due to work calling me in at the last minute I haven't had much time to work on this but yesterday I did manage to get some GS'ing done on the join between his right leg and the groin:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode