Swedes Blog of starting and abruptly ending random projects. - Page 25 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #241 of 280 (permalink) Old 03-25-15, 07:25 PM
Siskin's Flag is: Poland

Hi there,
I have been long gone from the forum and it took me a while to look through Your Plog. I really like what you have been doing! Especially the yellow it is turning up really crisp, good job. I appreciate also the add-ons about your extra-hobby interests.

The base is coming up nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeMarine View Post
I’m a little stumped as to how I’m going to paint the windows. I know there are a few good ways to do it as I’ve seen both @Iraqiel and @Moriouce do it on their minis but their canopies aren’t exactly flat like mine. So I’ve come up with this as an idea and would Very much appreciate input from ALL of you heretics out there with how you think this will work. (Please be critical as I intend on doing all my future flyers like this and want to get good at it). This is still a general idea (I was impatient between layers and I didn’t think the paints any so this is the gist.)
I would take the principal of your idea but with a twist:
As the windows in front of storm raven consists of two parts I would rotate the project upside down with the brightest corner on top left or right. This would allow you to highlight nicely the lower part of the "windshield" of the vehicle from both sides with a little shading in both corners. This way you can make the "brake" between two surfaces pop up nicely. Maybe even try to wet blend the layers on the "windshield" - I use glycerin to do so.

I hope that the description is clear enough , hope it helps you make your mind.
I will be keeping a close eye on this Plog - looking forward to next updates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 280 (permalink) Old 03-25-15, 07:35 PM

Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden

I think you idea will work great on flat windows. Give it a testrun.

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

post #243 of 280 (permalink) Old 03-26-15, 08:40 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Hey Swede, I think that your idea will work great. When I was painting my canopies I wanted to really get a feeling of the glass being transparent over a darkened interior, so I tried things like putting light grey horizontal slashes or contour conforming lines over parts before applying the gloss coat.

I was doing that because I wanted to have a very sheer layer effect, and mostly because it seemed an easy way of what people who can actually draw and paint do, like this:

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966

post #244 of 280 (permalink) Old 03-27-15, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siskin View Post
Hi there,
I have been long gone from the forum and it took me a while to look through Your Plog. I really like what you have been doing! Especially the yellow it is turning up really crisp, good job. I appreciate also the add-ons about your extra-hobby interests.

I hope that the description is clear enough , hope it helps you make your mind.
I will be keeping a close eye on this Plog - looking forward to next updates.
Thanks for the compliments I figured i would do something a little different and im glad people are enjoying it.

So just a tiny update tonight with the Stormraven. The yellow continues to be layered over and over to tidy up mistakes. but what im really excited for is this

Im pretty happy with how this turned out but id like your thoughts please. Its not 100% yet (the final layer will be Ardcoat to give it some shine. and i need to tidy up a little bit but overall i'm very happy with the results.

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #245 of 280 (permalink) Old 03-27-15, 06:09 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
this
Mate that is looking fair dinkum swanky. Great work!

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #246 of 280 (permalink) Old 03-27-15, 09:13 AM

DaisyDuke's Flag is: United Kingdom

That's looking great Swede. Give yourself a cookie
post #247 of 280 (permalink) Old 03-27-15, 09:39 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Im pretty happy with how this turned out but id like your thoughts please.
As always, your yellows are top notch - Once I have to do something with yellow, I need to pick your brain as to how you do it.

I must admit though, the window loooks a bit too cartoonish for me, compared to the rest of the miniature so far. You have a realistic looking metal and chassis, but the window itself looks a bit too much like a painting. In particular the stars you've done to simulate reflections.

Maybe the gloss will help. Otherwise you could take some inspirations from this tutorial:
http://willkempartschool.com/how-to-...s-part-3-of-3/

I'm sorry to burst the bubble, as I know how goddamn hard it can be to paint something like this. I hope the above gives some input though!
post #248 of 280 (permalink) Old 03-27-15, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
As always, your yellows are top notch - Once I have to do something with yellow, I need to pick your brain as to how you do it.

I must admit though, the window loooks a bit too cartoonish for me, compared to the rest of the miniature so far. You have a realistic looking metal and chassis, but the window itself looks a bit too much like a painting. In particular the stars you've done to simulate reflections.

Maybe the gloss will help. Otherwise you could take some inspirations from this tutorial:
http://willkempartschool.com/how-to-...s-part-3-of-3/

I'm sorry to burst the bubble, as I know how goddamn hard it can be to paint something like this. I hope the above gives some input though!
No worries about the yellows ill be here to help ya ;)

I was worried about that as well but i think ive come up with a way to fix it. ihave to fix some imperfections anyways and if i tidy everything up they should come together better. I dont mind the cartoony look a bit myself i just dont want them completely over the top. id rather take honest critisism than false praise any day

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #249 of 280 (permalink) Old 03-27-15, 11:25 PM

dutchy1982's Flag is: United Kingdom

Just had a lovely hour reading your plog. I don't know how I've missed it before! Your work is amazing.
post #250 of 280 (permalink) Old 03-28-15, 10:48 AM
Siskin's Flag is: Poland

Hi,

sorry I had no time to answer in time. Again yellow is great, I would have to agree with Nordicus about the stars, i like how it looks no the sides!
I know that I am repeating myself but using wet blending would really benefit the effect you are after, also I have the impression that the paint was a tad thick - try watering it down a bit more and you should have a smoother finish!
I myself went with all black canopies on my fireprisms - sometimes my lazy side grabs hold of me .

Waiting for the next update!

Siskin

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Tags
imperial fists , modelling , painting , space marines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode