The First Company of the Minotaurs. The High Lord's Fell Hand. - Page 28 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #271 of 320 (permalink) Old 01-23-14, 06:58 AM

SonofVulkan's Flag is: United Kingdom

The bronze looks as good as ever. I'm always impressed with the work you put into your bases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 320 (permalink) Old 01-23-14, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeMarine View Post
Dont Sweat it. They look great
They came out better than I thought they would I must say. I've remembered that a Devlan Mud eqiv wash is NOT optional if I want the bronze to look good..ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofVulkan View Post
The bronze looks as good as ever. I'm always impressed with the work you put into your bases.
Thanks, the bronze has been giving me trouble recently (and the red but for different reasons), glad it's still passable and not noticeably different. Thanks about the bases as well, it's really easy actually it's just some pastic-card thrown down and sand put over it. Then it's just a matter of chucking some blue and silver down for some contrast and away we go.
post #273 of 320 (permalink) Old 01-23-14, 10:14 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Sorry to hear you've had a crappy couple of weeks - take on the views of your chapter and just start fucking shit up

Combat squad looks good as ever mate, nice work on the squad markings. What is the sgt holding? A custom combi-plas?

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer

post #274 of 320 (permalink) Old 01-23-14, 10:55 AM

koppo's Flag is: England

Looking good. I like the bases also, and I'm starting the think the lighter colours I've used on my bikes are not quite as nice as the more muted/dark tones on yours.

Question: Are the bases pre-sculpted "buy-ins" or have you build them up yourself?

Your mother cooks socks in Hull!!
If somthing is worth doing, it's worth taking too far, "We set our motley puppets on the clouds and call them gods...","Ah! Now we see the violence inherent in the system!" "Come see the violence inherent in the system!" "HELP HELP! I AM BEING REPRESSED!"

"Quick! Poke it up her "wrongun" before it's to late!" Jezlad
post #275 of 320 (permalink) Old 01-23-14, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
Sorry to hear you've had a crappy couple of weeks - take on the views of your chapter and just start fucking shit up

Combat squad looks good as ever mate, nice work on the squad markings. What is the sgt holding? A custom combi-plas?
Don't fucking tempt me, both my flatmates are fucking lucky not to come home from work to find their possessions in a bonfire on the front lawn and me sitting there with a half empty bottle of whiskey. Think you have a monopoly on getting drunk and hitting people, just try and stop your shit from burning and see what happens. And anyway...

Yeap thats exactly it, really simple conversion, just cut the bolter barrel off and glue it back on where the charging handle used to be (basically in the top 3rd of the bolter end) and then take a normal plasma pistol, cut the pistol grip off and file the space flat, glue it to the hand grip of the bolter so it kind of forms a right angle with the respective barrels. I also shaved the front sights of the bolter and drilled a new barrel for the pistol. Simple and while it's not the prettiest it gets the job down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppo View Post
Looking good. I like the bases also, and I'm starting the think the lighter colours I've used on my bikes are not quite as nice as the more muted/dark tones on yours.

Question: Are the bases pre-sculpted "buy-ins" or have you build them up yourself?
Hey Koppo don't let my scheme put you off yours, mine are only dark because I weather mine so much to make up for the lack of the ability to paint cleanly. Your's are awesome. As for the bases they are home made, literally plastic card, bits of sprue and sand.

Last edited by Jacobite; 01-23-14 at 11:05 AM.
post #276 of 320 (permalink) Old 01-23-14, 09:17 PM
Mentally hilarious

xenobiotic's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
(...) mine are only dark because I weather mine so much to make up for the lack of the ability to paint cleanly. Your's are awesome. As for the bases they are home made, literally plastic card, bits of sprue and sand.
I'm almost leaning towards the latest combat squad being almost to dark. Just something about them that somewhat makes me reluctant. It could be the pictures themselves though.

I can't say I understand that combi-plasma conversion at all, from the angle in the picture it looks awkward to me, any chance for a side-shot?
post #277 of 320 (permalink) Old 01-23-14, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

I think it might be the pictures as to my eyes they are pretty inline with the other minis, they are in fact lighter than the first Tactical Squad I've done and the Scouts.

As for the combi plasma here you go, pictures are a little hard to get due to the position of it but here goes:

In retrospect and if I do it again I should put a vertical grip where the bolter grip was.

Also I'm still struggling away with these pricks: Hopefully get them done by the end of the month. Over them... soooooo over them. I'm tempted to take next month off and celebrate hitting half the 1st company by painting some nice white Tau. Probably should keep on with these though.

God every time I see that red I curse GW for getting rid of Red Ink. Wankers.
post #278 of 320 (permalink) Old 01-27-14, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Finally finished that Terminator Squad, turned out ok despite being cut up, hacked up, put back together and generally made up of less than idea parts. Some of these are made of the remains of my attempts to make Cataphractii. The Serg looks a little Chaosy but meh fuck it, he’s going to be the body guard to a Chaplain.

Here is a full squad shot:

Some quick individual shots:

My least favorite of the squad, the beaten bronze effect didn’t come out very well on the legs and his pose is a bit shit. That and the bronze is more like gold. Meh fuck it. The free hand on the shield came out well though.

This poor fellow was looking pretty sad a lot of the time, he was quite small and hunched over due to the parts I used however he’s come out ok. Just a little hunched.

The only decent posed guy in the squad, pretty happy with this one.

This guy is pretty boring but he’s not too battered.

Finally the Squad Leader who looks a bit Chaosy thanks to the head, the Skull Shoulder pad and the Crest but whatevs, I can live with it. This is the only Cataphractii body that survived whole. Hopefully when he is next to the Chappy he won’t look so out of place. In my head he’s the BG of the Chaplain and is his replacement should he ever fall (hence the skull shoulder pad). It’s either that or he’s committed some great sin or failure and much like the NL’s used to do is only allowed to live knowing that he is marked for death anyway. In fact the whole squad could be in that boat.

His weapon is a cut down Chaos axe and @koppo you might want to take a look at the haft as it’s the one I was telling you about as being brass rod covered in liquid GS.

You’ll notice that they don’t have a red shoulder pad on the left like all the others, as a way of linking them to the currently unpainted Chaplain and make it clear that they are “his” squad I painted them black with a red ^ and then added a rune to complete it.

And that marks the official half way point of the 1st Company. Technically I’ve painted 53 members of it plus one Dread but this is the 10th demi squad completed, 10 demi squads, 50 marines down, 10/50 to go!

Last edited by Jacobite; 01-27-14 at 03:38 AM.
post #279 of 320 (permalink) Old 01-27-14, 03:30 AM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Sweet job on these man. i like the poses. especially the axe guy

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #280 of 320 (permalink) Old 01-27-14, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Cheers Swede, I'm over seeing every mini holding their hand weapons by the handle when they are shooting their guns, I've spent quite a bit of time standing around doing fuckall while carrying axes, swords, spears, shields etc and 75% of the time if I'm holding something like that one handed I'm holding it as comfortably as possible... and that's not holding it at the light end and letting the heavy one drag down.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode