The Reever's Ridaz - A Bad Moon Mechanized Mob - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-13, 11:08 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

This looks really good D, the yellow as I said before is good. I like how you say you'll revisit when you have a little more confidence with weathering. The grot tail gunner looks good as well.

One addition I would make however is to paint the ork symbol on the front a different color. Perhaps black? At the moment it just looks a little off to me keeping it yellow. Just my opinion though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-13, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Moderator

Right, so I finally decided on the upper body of my Orks; and after enough trial and error with a slew of colours the final answer is: more yellow.

The yellow comes from the same method as I achieved with the jet, but with a final application of devlin mud to dirty it up a bit. The skin is going to be lighter for my regular Orks, switching to a dark green for nobz and the boss so that they stand out a bit more in this small sea of green.

So one trukk boy down, ten plus the nob and the trukk to go.

And as I mentioned to Jacobite on chat a few days ago, the Ork face on the front of the jet doesn't appear as good in the pictures as it does in real life. With t hat in mind, just like weathering I will be keeping it as is and return to it at a later date (in this case when I get the second jet of the list and have a double of that bit to work on.)

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-13, 04:11 PM

VanAlberict's Flag is: USA

looks amazing mate.

think youll go even darker for the boss than for the nobz? would be neat to see a progression as they go up in rank

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-13, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Moderator

Yeah I might, would just need to look into either a slightly lighter green.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-27-13, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Moderator

Right, so after a number of hold ups and delays I have finally finished off half of trukk mob 1:

Well I say finished, but I plan on either painting the end of the muzzle black or drilling it. All depends if I can get my hands on something to do the drilling and not put a hole in my fingers or hand in the process.

Also, in the top right you will notice a motley assortment of parts, that would be half of the shoota mob of which I happily discovered I will be able to build either nine shoota boyz and a big shoota or eight shootaz, the big shoota, and a nob (I need ten nob bodies total for the list, each battleforce comes with three and I need six for the biker boyz.)

And now for a few individual shots of a few of the boyz:

I gotta be honest, I hate this guys ammo arm. The bullets broke off on both arms (for this one and the other one) while I was trying to get them off the sprue and I was being as careful as possible!

That aside, I like the grenade arm a little better, keeps the model open a bit more. Gonna be using either the cleaver or axe arm for the second guy.

This guy is honestly my favorite of the lot; that particular shoota is my favorite largely due to the stock and the picture probably doesn't capture it but his scar is actually painted red to slightly differ from his regular skin (I'm actually changing it to the green I will be using for the nob.)

Here we have Luky, due to the blue on his 'person'. Blue emblem on his helmet, blue armband, even the cloth on his gun was coated in a blue wash

And then theres this sneaky git, with his purple arm band and lovely demeanor. He managed to snag a pair of gloves which went well with the mechrite red I discovered amongst my paints. I'm really liking the devlin mud on these guys, rather glad I snagged it when I did (whenever I did.)

Now I have mentioned, at least in chat, that I fully intend to paint the nobz and warboss darker greens. Heres an image displaying the three greens:

Top left arm is the regular boy skin but without the devlin, the bottom left is the nob skin (which is a 3:1 mix of chromium oxide green and cadmium yellow medium hue from Golden.) The dakkajet pilot has the warboss skin-tone, its just chromium oxide green and very hard to show without that light. I will be looking into making a wash or ink with the light green for the darker ones but its a work in progress.

In other news, a momentary return to the dakkajet:

After looking around for some tutorials and articles on weathering I have found one to my liking which can be found here and is courtesy of Brush for Hire. This is the route I will be going, however there is one problem I will be facing.

That problem being that the effect is achieved via airbrushing, something for which I have zero experience. So while I will most definitely be giving this a try, don't expect to see that happening for a good long while; we're probably talking one of the final touches to the log as I have to first get an airbrush and then practice working with it to the point where I am confident enough to have at the model.

All that aside, as trukk mob 1 goes from WIP to complete I will need to start looking into my next purchase. I still need two more battleforces, another battlewagon and jet, ten burna boyz, three rokkit buggies, and a set of forgeworld biker nobz and biker boss (those are likely to be amongst my last purchases and any tips/tricks with resin are going to be very helpful.)

Thinking battleforce, buggies, and burnaz as the next set, then back to battleforce, jet, and wagon, and then end on forgeworld kits.

Last edited by darkreever; 05-27-13 at 08:47 PM.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 12:18 AM
Bringer of the Apocalypse

Deneris's Flag is: Canada

Any thoughts about what you're going to do with the bases?

"That, and sending Leman Russ to make a peaceful arrest? That's like sending a rabid Grizzly Bear to teach Kindergarten." - Cole Deschain
"Deneris - you are a legend." - TheKingElessar
"Chingao...sigh..guess I'll stay a slut then..."- Shogun_Nate
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Moderator

I knew I forgot about something, I'm thinking of going with a desert theme, perhaps bite the cost and get the citadel basing stuff.

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 01:30 AM
Bringer of the Apocalypse

Deneris's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
I knew I forgot about something, I'm thinking of going with a desert theme, perhaps bite the cost and get the citadel basing stuff.
I'd check out Woodland Scenics, available at most craft/model train stores, as they have some nice sand/gravel mixes.

"That, and sending Leman Russ to make a peaceful arrest? That's like sending a rabid Grizzly Bear to teach Kindergarten." - Cole Deschain
"Deneris - you are a legend." - TheKingElessar
"Chingao...sigh..guess I'll stay a slut then..."- Shogun_Nate
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 03:30 AM

VanAlberict's Flag is: USA

still loving these so far
also had the same problem with one of the sword in the Daemon Prince box... turned out for the better though but keep it up amigo
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanAlberict View Post
still loving these so far
also had the same problem with one of the sword in the Daemon Prince box... turned out for the better though but keep it up amigo
Thanks for that, same to you with your Nurgle warriors. By the way, what colours/mix did you use to achieve the upper portion of your warriors cloaks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deneris View Post
I'd check out Woodland Scenics, available at most craft/model train stores, as they have some nice sand/gravel mixes.
I need to do some more searching on their site but yeah I liked what I saw from them so will definitely be on the look out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode