Totem Pole Studio workbench - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Default Totem Pole Studio workbench

Apologies in advance for the english, as its not my main language. 20 + years of devouring hollywood films and american popculture, doesn't guarantee bulletproof grammar, I am afraid.

For some time now, I've been toying with the idea of starting my own painting studio. I know I've got decent enough skills, but the management, customer dealing, and general logistical side of such an enterprise is currently beyond me. I decided that before I'll even begin thinking about setting up my own studio offering commisions, it would be best to start a painting log, as baby steps. To learn the trade, get critique and suggestions on the paintjobs, and perhaps advertise my works a bit. Get a better feel of whats involved in the buissnes of commision painting.

My current goal is to set aside any display models for my own private collection, and for now focus on pieces meant for Ebay. I would like to try training and dedicate a regular amount of hours per day, so that I can complete several good quality models/units a month. Get a better grip on managing time and learn to paint more effectively.

The last piece I finished was a unit of three Necron Canoptek Wraiths:

If You like em, please leave a vote here:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/330651

The minis are currently on sale here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Painted-.../151031301298?

Also, a few months back I finished and sold this beast. It was featured some time ago on the the Procrastinator's blog

If You like it, please leave a vote here:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/314368
http://www.coolminiornot.com/314364

Comments and critique are welcome.

Cheers!

Last edited by Star Forge Smith; 04-23-13 at 05:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 07:37 PM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

These look aweseom, i can't really give much of a critique because your painting at a much higher level than where i am, the only thing i can see, and it's a minor thing which you'll probably get over with even the next model you paint, The pallet on both of these example pieces if very similar to the point of nearly beign identical. You would do well to do something with some bold primary colours or realistic military feels to diversify your current portfolio.

post #3 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I know what You mean. Recently I've been painting mainly "evil" armies, and most of the paintjobs are based around some combination of black and red, ie "eviiiiiiil" colours ;) Currently working on Tau battlesuits, experimenting with camouflage, should bring some variety to this thread.

post #4 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-24-13, 02:55 PM

alasdair's Flag is: United Kingdom

I absolutely love these, that is probably one of the best helbrutes I have seen. One niggle is that the basing is a bit bland on the wraiths in particular. Perhaps some scrub or patches of grass to break it up and add a little contrast?
post #5 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-24-13, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I get that a lot about the bases. It's just that for some reason, I always feel that elemets like grass and foliage don't suit armies like Necrons or Chaos. When basing such miniatures I always try to go for a "battelfield desolation" look. I experiment using modeling powders and sand, but in the end it all looks a bit too uniform, I agree.

My current wip is a Tau Battlesuit, I allready started working on the base, this time it will be a bit more elaborate.
post #6 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-24-13, 08:06 PM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

If you didn't want to bring nice healthy vegetation into the chaos and necron bases you could always base them up with glowing glyphs or architecture to give you an additional spot colour on their bases.
Edit:

Last edited by GrimzagGorwazza; 04-24-13 at 08:15 PM.
post #7 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-24-13, 08:11 PM

CubanNecktie's Flag is: Canada

I'm gonna disagree with the above comments. I think the gore and osl effects are so insanely dynamic that a mute base is exactly what you need.

No one should get a pokemon-level seizure from too much stuff going on. Btw could you pleaseeee do a short guide on the hellbrute blood stuff. No need to give away trade secrets, but damn that looks great.

post #8 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-24-13, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Its cheap office glue glazed with dark red paint (blood red + red wash + chaos black), and covered with plenty of gloss varnish.

Clear, universal, liquid glue. Find an office glue that leaves those annyoing, stringy spiderwebs every time You touch it. The cheaper the better, as finer and more expensive brands usualy don't leave that sort of web. Then simply apply it on the figure and string it between any two parts of the model. After the glue dries, color it the way You want with acrylic paint, and cover with gloss varnish. Done.

You can also check this tutorial, I found on YT:

post #9 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 03:09 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

The Necrons look good at long to medium range and the OSL is great.

However, the distressing on the metal areas looks slightly less professional than the rest of the model close-up. I suggest using thinner lines to give a crisper finish.
post #10 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 03:42 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

The Necrons look good at long to medium range and the OSL is great.

However, the distressing on the metal areas looks slightly less detailed than the rest of the model close-up. I suggest using thinner lines to give a crisper finish.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode