D . R . E . A . D . H . U . L . K - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-05-13, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Default D . R . E . A . D . H . U . L . K

[or 'How I learnt to stop worrying and love crazy mahoosive space hulks']

"The silent leviathan drifted inexorably through the cold harshness of the void; its massive, scabrous hull pitted and scarred from millennia of meteoritic bombardment. The aeons spent lost in this sea of darkness had been cruel. Now it was nothing but an eroded, lifeless carcass; its husk a tomb for a hundred thousand piteous souls..."

+++ INQUISITION HEALTH WARNING: THE SCOPE OF THIS PROJECT IS COMPLETELY BONKERS AND QUITE POSSIBLY WARP-SPAWNED. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED... +++

The basic goal of this project is to design and produce a massive, modular 3D space hulk gaming board for an upcoming narrative campaign weekend in 2014. The hulk needs to be large enough for up to 16 players to participate simultaneously in a game. The design of the hulk needs to be original, eye-catching and finished to a professional standard. It should also incorporate many unique components not currently available elsewhere within the industry.

You have probably noticed that this sounds like an incredibly challenging project, with highly ambitious targets. The reasons for this are two-fold: Firstly, we want to produce a truly amazing gaming experience. Secondly, we are quite possibly a few sandwiches short of a picnic. Whether or not we have bitten off more than we can chew; only time will tell!

Within this basic – if somewhat punishing – overall project objective are several vital sub-objectives, and these include:
  • High level of detail – Where possible, components will feature ‘realistic’ detailing (control terminals, power conduits, rivets etc)
  • Professional quality – All models will be finished to a professional standard
  • Original components – Including seldom-seen or even unique elements
  • Total modularity – This means a fully customisable gaming board offering many different layout options

Taking the aim even further, there is a definite requirement to design and produce components that are at least the equal of, if not superior to, existing space hulk terrain pieces on the market, as well as those individual scratch-built projects to be found on the internet. We have lots of ideas on how to achieve this, and we are very excited by some of them, too. You will find out about these in due course, as the project unfolds…

To begin with, we need to start small. It would be all too easy to become overwhelmed by the sheer scope of the project build before us – after all, this is a space hulk, and these badboys are kinda big! So, with that in mind, it would be sensible to begin with small parts such as:
  • Doors
  • Corridors
  • Deck plating

These are the fundamental components of the hulk, since you need a floor to walk on, corridors to walk through and doors to open (or, indeed, to keep things out). Once these sections are sorted out, we’ll move on to grander elements such as rooms, intersections, embarkation decks and so forth.

Keep checking back for updates and progress reports! You can also follow this build on the D R E A D H U L K blog: http://www.dreadhulk.blog.com.

Peace!

I luv da smell of fried dwarf in da mornin'

A N I M O S I T Y W A R G A M I N G: www.forum.animositywargaming.co.uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-05-13, 06:42 PM

Speachless!! This sounds so amazing. Can't wait to see some photos (but that's probably a while off!)

I wish you luck and rest assured I will be following with interest.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-05-13, 06:45 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

These guys did a pretty good job. This is something that I aspire to myself, but likely suited more towards use as a Zone Mortalis board and not exclusively Space Hulk.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-05-13, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Cheers guys! Here's the first update:

D E C K P L A T E S

I’ve been working on various CG concepts of the surprisingly variform deck plate iterations, and here is one of them: the humble grid plate or grill. One of the advantages of using grills in floor tiles is that you can model underfloor details such as piping and cabling; these would remain visible through the many square holes in the plate. However, one obvious downside to this design, from a modelling perspective, is that you need to cut out hundreds of square holes even for a very short corridor. This would be extremely time-consuming (not to mention infuriating!) to do by hand, but there are always ways and means, whether it be purchasing wire mesh or even going down the laser-cutting or CAD tooling and injection moulding route (the latter of which is currently beyond the budget of this project, although further down the line… you never know)!

Here’s another variation on the deck plate theme, although this time I’ve gone for a style that will expose anything beneath. This could be used for an aerial walkway or as a simple corridor section, where you can see pipework, tubes and cables through the slits. The plan is to have something like you’d see in the movies (Aliens etc). It’s fairly straightforward to make these deck plates and exposed pipes, and then cast them up to create a labyrinthine space hulk with corridors running for several metres.

+++ MESSAGE ENDS +++

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-05-13, 09:53 PM
Thordis

Haskanael's Flag is: Netherlands

will be following this with interest, a board like that is kind of a dream of mine.
I wish you good luck !
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-07-13, 09:48 PM

alasdair's Flag is: United Kingdom

I will be following this with much interest! Good luck!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-13, 08:18 AM
Fantasy Rumors

revilo44's Flag is: United Kingdom

Looks awesome cant wait to see more

Sanity is for the weak

check out what im working on http://instagram.com/revilo444
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-13, 08:43 AM
For Da Boss

dirty-dog-'s Flag is: New Zealand

looking cool, cant wait for more.

omgitsduane's # 1 Fan

Russian Winter Guard Thread

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-13, 09:59 AM
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH

Battman's Flag is: Australia

Sounds like an amazing idea with a huge amount of work required for it. One thing is this for 40k or space hulk I'm not sure if you mentioned but keep going. Will look amazing asnd so far the ideas are deffinently are. Actually another question how will you about presenting the coagulation oface craft? Because unlike the space hulk game its not ment to be all straight corridoors. Also if you do this root I just mentioned for this coagulation of ships what would you include ork style? Eldar? Tau?

Da Golden Waaagh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix View Post
Dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka BATORK!!!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-13, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Haskanael, Alasdair, Revillo44, Dirty Dog and Battman (or is that BatOrk...?) thanks for your encouraging words!

Here's a quick update on another deck plate concept with a few rivets for good measure. I have quite a few other designs for floor panels, including flat metal panels (moving away from the grid/grill/vent designs).

They're very simple ideas and, to be honest, it's in everyone's interests to keep something that will be repeated MANY hundreds of times as simple as possible!

I’ve also been working on corridor sections, including a range of components and details such as pipes, cables, air vents, girders, buttresses… I could go on!

Oh yeah – and some small- and medium-sized doors…

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Tags
hulk , space , space hulk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode