D . R . E . A . D . H . U . L . K - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-13, 10:44 PM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93rdSaphraDarkGuard View Post
Alright this seems like an epic project so I have to get my two cents in. Considering the literature on space hulks describing them as large conglomerates of vessels that have been smashed together in the warp maybe you could also add some alien features (orks, nids, eldar, tau) just to liven things up a bit. I mean these things are made of ships lost in the warp, right? It would kinda suck if only the Imperium got lost in Maelstrom...
This is a good argument but IIRC Eldar and Tau don't use the warp. Not sure on Nids either. Eldar have the webway and Tau are warp innert and have their own system.

Still Orks, and pre imperial races would be cool...then again i always think orks would be cool.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-13, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93rdSaphraDarkGuard View Post
Alright this seems like an epic project so I have to get my two cents in. Considering the literature on space hulks describing them as large conglomerates of vessels that have been smashed together in the warp maybe you could also add some alien features (orks, nids, eldar, tau) just to liven things up a bit. I mean these things are made of ships lost in the warp, right? It would kinda suck if only the Imperium got lost in Maelstrom...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimzagGorwazza View Post
This is a good argument but IIRC Eldar and Tau don't use the warp. Not sure on Nids either. Eldar have the webway and Tau are warp innert and have their own system.

Still Orks, and pre imperial races would be cool...then again i always think orks would be cool.

Indeed it is a good argument, since it is very true; hulks that have been drifting in and out of the warp for thousands of years do have a nasty habit of bumping into - and merging with - random galactic detritus (space craft, asteroids etc).

Ultimately, I do have plans lurking somewhere at the back of my cranium to include structural details from other races (mainly chaos and orks), but for now I am concentrating on Imperial architecture for the narrative campaign event next year. There may be some chaotic surprises further down the line, with warped components such as thrashing cable tentacles and blast doors with teeth!

To give you a little more insight into the fluff behind the project, this hulk is mainly formed from a traitor fleet that was vanquished during the Horus Heresy, with an astartes battlebarge at its heart...

I luv da smell of fried dwarf in da mornin'

A N I M O S I T Y W A R G A M I N G: www.forum.animositywargaming.co.uk
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-13, 03:15 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

This table is being made specifically for an event, but are you thinking of trying to produce more for retail in the future if it goes well?

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-13, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

@ntaw - At this point I'm merely thinking about the narrative campaign event next year (which, incidentally, will combine 40k with RPG elements). However, depending on how splendiferous the final hulk is (or more importantly, how well it is received), then getting pieces cast up for retail may be on the cards...

WALL SECTIONS

As you can see, I've been messing around with a concept for a wall section. Plenty of rivets (including some spiky ones), plus some pipework. The red pipe is some sort of plasma conduit. The lumen strip globes could easily be added at the top of each section, or even every other section.

I can easily place a viewport or gothic casement in these wall sections, giving a view out into space.

post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-13, 11:34 AM
Thordis

Haskanael's Flag is: Netherlands

loving the 3D models, all those little details are going to be a pain to build.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-13, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Yep - all those little details will indeed be a pain to make - but hopefully it'll all be worth it!

post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-13, 03:53 PM

Lemmy1916's Flag is: Switzerland

Very nice stuff, chief. Can't wait to see it applied on real hardware!
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-13, 05:06 PM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

Just out of interest wouldn't this be easier to just cast up using shapeways as you already have the 3d models? That way you could print as many as you need and be able to sell them to people who want them as well. Also it's gotta be easier than scratch builtding it after already having made the 3d model.

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-13, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Cheers Lemmy! The real hardware will be coming soon... ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimzagGorwazza View Post
Just out of interest wouldn't this be easier to just cast up using shapeways as you already have the 3d models? That way you could print as many as you need and be able to sell them to people who want them as well. Also it's gotta be easier than scratch builtding it after already having made the 3d model.
I can see your point, Grimzag; it certainly would be easier! But I'm a bit old fashioned and like to build things from scratch, by hand.

Although, as I've mentioned I think somewhere in a previous post, I do have contacts in rapid prototyping who I might use at some point in the future...

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-13, 08:29 AM
93rdSaphraDarkGuard's Flag is: USA

If you ever send something this good up for retail I am down to snap it up, I've always thought that battling in starships and the like would be badass. I can just imagine it now, "Over the creaks and whispers of the ancient vessel a battle could be heard down the corridors and behind bulkheads, the light snap of lasguns interrupted by the heavy thump of bolters and pierced by the screams of the dying. The sound of battles fought eons ago ricocheting off of steel and adamantium, driving men mad only to have them fall prey to the horrors lurking along those darkened corridors."

Last edited by 93rdSaphraDarkGuard; 04-20-13 at 08:33 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Tags
hulk , space , space hulk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode