Turnip's CSM's - I'm Spartac....err...Alpharius! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-22-13, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Turnip86's Flag is: England

Default Turnip's CSM's - I'm Spartac....err...Alpharius!

A new army, a new plog!

Last time I was back home I found myself practically living in the flgs down the road from my parents house and while there I got in a few games of 40k with my nids. Now, I've always been more of a fantasy player but the fact I can easily find pick up games makes 40k more appealing to me, especially when I only really get chance to play when I'm in the UK. I love my cute little bugs but I think it's time for a change and I happened to be flicking though the new CSM codex and I decided I'd turn the the slightly lighter dark side and start an army!

The first choice was what kind of army? I play my nids in a variety of ways but usually with lots of bodies so with this army I'm going for a medium sort of body count with a couple of 10 man CSM squads with rhinos, a cultist squad of between 10 and 20, a large-ish bike squad, some predators, maybe a vindicator a helldrake or 7 and a havok squad. I may also throw in a winged demon prince for shits and giggles.

The next choice was a colour scheme! My focus will be slaanesh but I'm not a fan of the noise marine models or post heresy Emperor's Children in general but after reading up on fluff and deciding I liked the blue and green and hydras in general I went with Alpha Legion. Funny thing is I'd just finished Descent of Angels as I made that choice and Legion happened to be the next book in the series so I ended up reading up about them more. I like the fact they use advanced tactics even when it's totally unnecessary which is kind of how I play with my nids, lots of units that can threaten but my opponent always has to guess where the killing blow will come from.

Anyway, it wouldn't be plog without pictures so here's the start of the army! So far I have a 10 man CSM squad, one bike and 20 IG which will be used as cultists (well, operatives) for now until I get a full army together at which point they'll be used as traitor guard allies with a couple of Leman Russes and Vendettas

And here's my colour scheme on a test IG model. I didn't start with the CSM's purely because they'll be my army for the army painting challenge so wanted to paint a whole squad up at once

The currently red IG are from the army I was going to start a while back but lost interest after I decided 2 horde armies would be a bad idea (4 if you count all my fantasy stuff too). They'll get resprayed and painted over as the paint that's already on them is thin enough to not be a problem.

Anyway, comments welcome - especially on the colour scheme

EDIT: iPod pics suck but it's the best I can do at the moment as my other half decided to leave the camera in Warsaw a couple of weeks back >.< The left shoulder pad does actually have a scaled pattern and generally the whole model has green edge highlighting!

Last edited by Turnip86; 03-22-13 at 02:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-02-13, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Ok, lots of views so far so taking that as a good sign xD

Small update with bits I've worked on so far along with MUCH better pics of the tester model.

First up a WiP shot of the next 3 traitor guardsmen operatives I'm doing.

And here's the test model:

And now a slightly better shot of the 10 CSM's I'll be painting this month for the monthly painting challenge.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-13, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Here's some WiP pics of the CSMs. As you can see the blue is done... mostly. I started with Kantor Blue then put a few layers of thinned down Alaitoc blue over it but trying to layer it slightly so it's shaded in the recesses and corners.

The next thing to do is the silver trim. I'm not sure whether or not to bother with a rusted effect - part of me thinks it would look good but another part of me thinks why would ceramite rust? So I I'll either start with a base of tinny tin or Ironbreaker - just need to decide which!

One the trim is done I'll then move on to the blue again and touch up any areas I messed up and then give it a Drakenhof Nightshade wash then start on the green extreme highlights and scaled effect on the left shoulder pad. Depending how comfortable I feel freehanding the scales I might extend it to the leg armour on a few of them too

Any thoughts, especially on the rust effect, are very welcome :D

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-17-13, 12:26 PM

Gothic's Flag is: United Kingdom

Great work so far...I can't wait to see the marines painted.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-22-13, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothic View Post
Great work so far...I can't wait to see the marines painted.
Cheers Gothic

Small progress update. Silver is done but is in need of a wash, I just decided to make a start on the green highlights first so here's where I am at the moment.

Slowly but surely getting there.

I'm not sure what colour to go with on the weapon front so I blacked them out. I experimented with a green diagonal stripe over black but I didn't really pull off the effect I was going for so will probably scrap that idea. Any suggestions welcome ;)
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 08:03 PM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-30-13, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkmaster View Post
You got some interesting start here! Will be looking forward to more.
Cheers

Here's the finished CSM squad, rushed a little at the end because I'm going away for a few days over the long weekend and leave tonight so had to get them redy for the monthly painting competition

Feedback welcome!
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-06-13, 05:49 AM
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-22-13, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

It's been a while! But since summer is well and truly over I'm back to working on my chaos marines.

Here's the raptors I've been putting together.

5 man squad, Champion with 2 LC's, 2 Melta guys and 2 Bolt pistol/CCW's

I've made a second melta gun out of a bolter, the end of a flamer and some green stuff - it's currently drying and needs a bit more work but this is what it currently looks like:

I'll update with some more progress once I've started painting which should be fairly soon if things go at the same rate as they have been going.

Feedback, as always, is appreciated. Especially suggestions regarding the melta and if it looks ok
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-22-13, 01:39 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Well done, Turnip! The Alpha legion colours, you made it very well!

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode