Turnip's CSM's - I'm Spartac....err...Alpharius! - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-26-13, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Turnip86's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferhet View Post
Well done, Turnip! The Alpha legion colours, you made it very well!
Thanks

A small update on the raptors - I managed to get them sprayed and I've put the base coat on a couple of them but frankly I've been getting distracted by other projects and keep flitting between them, I think I'm in more of a construction mood than painting which is why I've picked up some stuff that I've had hidden away over a year - progress on that stuff is in my other plog ;)

And a close up of the melta that I kitbashed

As always, apologies for the iPod pics but it's all I have for the time being (and one of the reasons I'm not even bothering entering any of the heresy painting comps) And other than comments on general quality of the pictures, critique of the models is welcome :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-03-13, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Done a bit more work on the raptors - or at least have the blue base coated on 4/5 rather than 2/5... it's progress right?

At the moment I'm still in more of a construction mood than painting so I couldn't resist getting a box of chaos bikers the other day and have the last day or so putting them together.

Because my raptors are a 5 man 2x melta unit I've gone with plasma on my bikers. It was actually kinda fun kitbashing the guns. I took the plasma gun from both the chaos marine box set and the raptor box set, cut out the grip and most of the back then cut off the tops and barrels of the right bolter of each bike and put them together. I ended up with:

And a close up of both:

The third biker from the set is currently being pieced together as he will become my Slaaneshi lord. He's gonna be equipped with a LC and the Burning Brand - the LC is already attached - I used the raptor LC that has the open hand and Wolverine-like claws so he can still hold the handlebars. The rest of him is just the body of the biker with the Slaaneshi champion head from the CSM box as well as a few additional parts. Hopefully he'll look "lordy" enough and if not Alpha Legion are all supposed to look the same anyway (although granted they tend not to have patron gods either but meh)

I'll post up more pics once I've gotten a bit further on the lord.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-03-13, 01:43 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Oooh Alpha Legion. You don't see many of those around!

I will keep an eye on this. It's always good to see another Chaosmonger in the making :D

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-03-13, 11:14 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Awesome plasma gun conversions, it took me a second to realise what you had done there, thought for a second they were part of the kit. +Rep.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-09-13, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
Oooh Alpha Legion. You don't see many of those around!

I will keep an eye on this. It's always good to see another Chaosmonger in the making :D
Thanks ;) Alpha Legion look awesome, I'm surprised more people don't do them to be honest - I'd love to see more people's takes on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
Awesome plasma gun conversions, it took me a second to realise what you had done there, thought for a second they were part of the kit. +Rep.
Thanks ;) I picked up the idea from a melta conversion I saw plus the grip on the plasma guns are perfectly shaped to be hollowed out and slot over the trimmed down bolter snugly.

Quick update on the Lord conversion. I think I'm finished!

So I used parts from a few places. As I mentioned in a previous post the body is of the chaos biker although the front of the torso is from the CSM sprue. Right arm is that of a warptalon and is positioned to wrap around the handlebars.

The right arm is from the CSM sprue and has half of a flamer from the same place (in fact the one I cut up to make the melta for my raptors - just goes to show how leaving left overs lying around can be beneficial ;) ) I then added the barrel of an Imperial Guard flamer for some extra length and to top it all off (literally) A small dragony sort of thing which is actually from the Empire cannon set and is supposed to be some sort of ornate handle... well I chopped it up and stuck it to the top of the flamer to make it stand out more. The icon on the backpack is also from the CSM sprue, as is the head which is that of the slaaneshi champion.

Anyway, do you think he looks "lordy" enough? Or should I add more? Feedback appreciated :D
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-09-13, 10:03 AM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

Nice work man, but I'd recommend not fully assembling your guys before painting. With space marines the backpacks and guns (if they're carrying two handed weapons like bolters) really get in the way of the chest and back areas and make it difficult to paint them. It's not much fun assembling most of a model but not getting to see it fully assembled until it's completely painted, but you'll almost certainly get better results by painting some of the parts separately. Give it a try!

Anyway, I always like seeing Alpha Legion; I'll keep an eye on this thread!
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-09-13, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire View Post
Nice work man, but I'd recommend not fully assembling your guys before painting. With space marines the backpacks and guns (if they're carrying two handed weapons like bolters) really get in the way of the chest and back areas and make it difficult to paint them. It's not much fun assembling most of a model but not getting to see it fully assembled until it's completely painted, but you'll almost certainly get better results by painting some of the parts separately. Give it a try!

Anyway, I always like seeing Alpha Legion; I'll keep an eye on this thread!
Yeah I do leave certain bits off before painting but only if it's really hard to reach - raptors are pretty plain underneath the guns and there's still room to get in to paint. The bikers aren't attached to the bikes yet for instance because I wanted them painted first. Things like the khorne lord in my fantasy (and other random bits) plog for example had the shield left off but it's pre pinned so I just need to glue it once it's painted
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-09-13, 06:55 PM

Ddraig Cymry's Flag is: USA

Good work! I like the shades of green and blue you're using
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-14-14, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Update time again. And yet again it's been a while but December was frankly kinda crazy and I didn't have much time to do anything but work and then fly home for Christmas. So now I'm kicking back a bit with a slow January thanks to so many school holidays over here so had time to get more done on the raptors. There's a tournament coming up in a week which I'm considering entering although it's 1000 points and I'm at about 750ish at the moment so need to get everything painted plus buy some new plastic crack in less that a week... doable right? I doubt I'll go but either way there's a new 40k night starting in the FLGS so I'll be headed down there sometime soon with these guys.

I'm getting a new phone in the next few weeks and one of the main features I'll be looking for is a decent camera so this might be the last of the shitty iPod pics I'll post - I did use photobucket's edit tool on these to make them at least viewable but I know they're not ideal.

Oh, one other thing - I actually broke these guys in at the end of November/Start of December in a 750ish point game against tau and I actually won! Mostly because I had 2 units of 10 cultists camped on objectives and the tau player left it too late to move in to claim or contest them - but a win's a win :D

More updates soon!
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-14-14, 03:10 PM

whittsy's Flag is: Australia

*whittsy getting given DV set from a mate*
"OH Chaos, i really like Alpha Legion. Hell YEAH!"
*sees colour scheme*
"fuck that."

+rep for alpha legion!

The true nature of Chaos is beyond any comprehension. No mere mortal can ever hope to understand these matters, and the wise do not puzzle too deeply over Chaos Gods, or try to fathom their wars, rivalries and bickerings.

Deathguard PLOG: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129438

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode