Dark Angels Apocalypse Army - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-13-13, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

RedInventor's Flag is: USA

Default Dark Angels Apocalypse Army

It's been a while since I've posted and I've changed up my army a little. Instead of just of just playing out of the Dark Angels Codex, I've decided to play Dark Angels especially considering all the new cool stuff they have now. So I went a little spend crazy, with plans to spend a chunk of change on a Thunderhawk soon as well. This is what I have so far:

And a test model, to see how I wanted to paint the green:

Now part of the challenge of this army has been the timeline that I want it done by. My group of friends want to play a game with 5,000 pts per person in mid-April and I'm definitely not going to miss it. So I've started a new painting method, typically I'm the slowest painter ever and I'd never have my army ready. I read iamfanboy's article Quantity has a Quality all it's own and I've tried it out. Thus far it has definitely helped me accomplish a lot of work in significantly less time.
Here is where I'm at so far:

Belial and My Deathwing Command Squad

My Deathwing Knights and 2 Dark Vengeance Squads

As far as Deathwing goes, I have another squad of 5 Knights to make and 5 Standard DW Terminators, plus a Chaplain Dreadnought that I'll be using as a Venerable Dreadnought and a Land Raider. Then it'll be on to the Ravenwing and Greenwing. Thanks for looking and I'd love to know what you think so feel free to comment.

Last edited by RedInventor; 03-13-13 at 05:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-13-13, 12:55 PM

Dakingofchaos's Flag is: United Kingdom

That is a lot of expensive plastic - I'll be impressed when all thats painted! the Highlights on your tester look a wee bit thick, I'd suggest going back over the edge of them with your basecoat or even just wash them down a bit. I like the look of the bases on the termies.

'If you fail to prepare then you'd better prepare to fail'
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-13-13, 02:11 PM

Warpath's Flag is: England

I'm a little green with envy looking at this, Dark Angels was my first 40k army an i keep saying i will one day return to them. But with 5k Eldar to do myself that day is along way away.

Quanitity has a quality - Yes it does and as a commission painter i understand this alot. But i still think a high standard can be reached in a short amount of time. Firstly a test model which you have done is great way to start, but if that test model takes you 3-4 hours then multiply this by the squad size and thats a lot of time. The key to it is of course batch painting and having a system.

By system i mean painting the models the same way - example: highlighting a marine i would start on the right leg and work up to the waist then the left leg followed by body, arms and finaly head. I would repeat this through all stages on all marines until it becomes like second nature. As for how much i'd do, i would have my base colour and do 1 shade and 1 highlight for a table top standard. The key to it looking great is be neat, neatness can compensate for not having the time to do blends and other such things.

Two things i would do for your test piece is tidy up the highlights by using your base colour (i do the same as sometimes it happens) and i would look to using a base coat of black spray for the green models. It will stop the paint rubbing off and give you shades in alot of areas saving more time. I hope this helps you with your project and i shall look on with envy at your growing army. Good luck and i look forward to seeing more since i have subscribed to your thread

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-18-13, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the helpful comments. I'm mostly shooting to have the army painted to a level I feel is good enought to play with and then moving on to the next group, rinse and repeat until the army is finished then I'm going to go back and bring all the models to the standard I want them at. Definitely going to be a lot to fix though when the time comes. Its just a lot of models to get done before my friends want to have our apocalypse game, which is looking to become the beginning of many to come. So with the hectic work schedule, I didn't manage to get much done this week until today. It was yet another 40k painting day at the house with a few of my buddies and I'm pretty content with where I ended up. So here's the only thing I managed to paint, a Ravenwing Dark Talon:

Not my best work, but overall its turning out pretty good. Definitely still more work to be done, especially the base. The base is going to continue my lava theme, this time I sculpted in some rocks and bubbles in the flowing lava. First time using Apoxiesculpt and I'll have to see the results before I can really say how I feel about it.
I also managed to prime Sammael, Asmodai, the Dark Vengeance Bike Squad, the interior of my Land Raider Crusader/Redeemer and my Ravenwing Command Squad. Overall a pretty productive day, I just wish I had more time throughout the week. Looking forward for this next week my plan is to paint everything I've primed the build the remainder of the Ravenwing (2 Darkshrouds, 1 Nephilim Jetfighter, 1 Black Knight Squad, and the Ravenwing Battleforce).
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-18-13, 04:52 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Nice work , looks great mate
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-18-13, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Magpie!
I finished the base up so far today, probably going to save the rest of the finishing details for another day.

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-22-13, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

So with all my friends having super heavy apocalypse pieces, I decided to begin a somewhat ambitious project...

Those would be the legs to a scratchbuilt warhound titan, the forgeworld ones are a little over budget at the moment and I like crafting anyways. The end goal is to scratchbuild a warlord titan, but I've never scratch built anything so this guy is a practice piece. Since he's just practice, he's being made from cardboard and pvc. So far it has been a pretty steep learning curve, with lessons being learned after its too late to go back and fix things. For example, the pvc joint sizes listed in the template are a little bit too small in my opinion and trying to join cardboard to them is a terribly hard process.
Here's a sideview that kind of shows what I mean-

Overall its been a pretty time intensive process, with lots of points where it seems like things aren't going to work. Once the main structure is complete, I'm going to be spending a lot of time detailing since the template is pretty bare. I'm definitely glad my friend who plays vanilla marines was here working on his own. His army will be fighting alongside mine in our apocalypse battle and it looks like we will both be fielding our warhounds.
Here's our chicken legs next to each other (his are on the left), it looks like mine will be the shorter one.

I will also be trying to install LED's in the titan, which will be another first for me. I bought green and red LED's with the plan of making the "eyes" green and the weapons red, all powered by 4 AA batteries hidden in the main hull somewhere.
I'm going to try and take more pictures as I go in hopes that it will help anyone else that wants to build one of these guys.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-22-13, 02:44 PM

Dakingofchaos's Flag is: United Kingdom

Titan - Very cool. have you had a look at Blackadders thread? It could definatly help you along the way.

The flyer looks awesome, the lightning looks particularly effective. Food for thought the 'ripples' in the lava look to much like lines drawn with a knife and not enough like ripples; instead of lines to show the 'flow' I would just do more bubbles in future.

If this Warhound is a practice what do you intend to make the real thing out of? Have some rep for your efforts.

'If you fail to prepare then you'd better prepare to fail'
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-22-13, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice on the lava, I wasn't too sure how to accomplish the flowing look.
I've been reading through Blackadder's post to get a good idea of how to make a titan look awesome, his skill level far surpasses mine at the moment though. When it comes time to build the warlord I'm hoping I'm a bit closer to that level, at least enough so where I can take more time than he probably does to achieve a similar effect. To answer your question though, the next warhound will be my first dive into using styrene. The hope is I'll have a better understanding of making the template work for me from this guy, so I won't run into as many problems with styrene which is more expensive than cereal box cardboard. Hopefully on the next one I can refine my use of LED's as well so that on the second one it's a lot easier to put lights in. Once the the second warhound is finished then it will be warlord time, which will hopefully be my centerpiece model of my scratchbuilding adventure.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-23-13, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

So I managed to get the hips built and some of the main hull. I also found a place to hide the power source for the LED's that I'm going to be adding, the back of the main hull had the perfect spot. Here's how it looks so far, the main hull isn't attached to the body yet since I'm trying to decide whether I want it to rotate or not.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode