Dark Angels Apocalypse Army - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-13, 01:39 PM

Lemmy1916's Flag is: Switzerland

Damn that titan looks promising!!! And all the other stuff looks very cool as well. Can't wait to see some more paint!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-08-13, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

RedInventor's Flag is: USA

My slow painting has returned, oh no! Well mostly I'm just playing with my DIY chapter's color scheme on a DW Knight model and here's where I'm going with it:

Mostly just base coated, somethings such as the skulls and feathers have been shaded a little but otherwise just the base coats are mostly done.
I'd love to know what you all think, so comments and criticism if you have it.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-10-13, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Did a little more painting tonight, didn't have a ton of time so I mostly just added some purple and worked on faces.

The group

Azreal

DV Librarian I think his face is turning out the best.

Tactical Squad Sarge, his face needs work but I don't really know what to do with it.
That's all for now, thanks for looking.

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-10-13, 04:29 AM

Spawner105's Flag is: USA

The purple and black schemes painting is really good, its clean and well done im just personally not a fan of the purple but it still looks good

What is your life? My honour is my life.
What is your fate? My duty is my fate.
What is your fear. My fear is to fail.
What is your reward? My salvation is my reward.
What is your craft? My craft is death.
What is your pledge? My pledge is eternal service. -Anon. (4th Edition Black Templar Codex)
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-11-13, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks spawner, purple is my favorite color and looks really good with black imho. I'm not sure if it's going to work with the lave bases though... hmmm

Here's the Guardians of Silence intro fluff I've been working on, since it has changed a little bit:

The Guardians of Silence are fierce sages of war, charactized by their exceedingly monastic bearing and love for terminator armor. They hail from the dark moon of Strix, it's eerie purple glow lights the night sky of the feral death world known as Bezgroda. Their fortress monastery is a complex of chapels and libraries built between two massive mountains and it is well known for its strange beauty. It's tall, protective walls are lined with the vibrant scripts of the writings considered sacred to the Space Marines, to inculde the Codex Astartes, the Requiem Angelis, and many more holy tomes. As a chapter, they are as dedicated to learning and mastering their minds as they are to war, as such few can better their tactical genius.
They descend from the Dark Angels and the relics and icons of their originating chapter abound throughout the ranks for they revere their Primarch and his ancient chapter. Yet as Unforgiven they disagree with the feelings of their brother chapters, they believe their souls were redeemed when their beloved Primarch and forefathers fought the traitors on Caliban. Even still their zeal for purging the heretic burns no less within their souls, especially when it comes to the Fallen Angels. Most who meet them find them dark and unreadable, conversations with a stone wall would likely merit a greater response. Yet they are known for caring far more for those whom they protect than their father chapter and their unflinching resolve in battle has won them many allies. And deep within the Halo Stars one needs as many allies as they can have.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-13, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

So didn't end up painting much of anything today, it was a very long day at work and I'm beyond wore out. But all the guys are getting really excited about the apocalypse match, so I decided to put a little work into the gameboard design as it is always smart to plan well ahead when you're talking about terrain especially if it's a large piece you want to look nice. Now I probably won't begin construction on the board until I have finished the detailing of the warhound at least so it'll be a while but I really want the board to look nice. So...
The Plot:
The Apocalypse game will be fought with two sides, Space Marines & Titans vs the Xenos Host. My friend will be joining me with 10,000+ points of Space Marines and 2 Warhounds and 1 Reaver. I myself will be fielding approximately 10,000 points of Space Marines with 2 Warhounds. The xenos side is a mixed bag of: 2 Ork players with who knows how many Stompas (about 9,000 pts), a Tau army (about 4,000 pts), and an Eldar+Necron force (about 3,000 points). Obviously the Space Marines have it in points alone. To balance this the xenos will be able to redeploy lost units with Super Heavies having to wait a turn before they can. We are also trying to recruit more xenos or Chaos players to join the fray. With that many different factions though we've had some trouble generating a storyline. Thus far the best storyline we can think of is a heroic last stand against the forces of evil who want a forbidden and ominous warp relic that was discover by my chapter and taken to a chapel outpost for safekeeping. It recently began emitting a strong warp signal that has drawn many armies to it. The guardians have been valiantly defending it, yet they are being overcome. The Steel Eagles (friends DIY chapter) have come to their aid on the thick walls protecting the chapel from xenos incursion in hopes to drive the xenos off the planet and away from the dark relic. The xenos have combined forces as they are not strong enough alone to take the Space Marines, but they all have plans to attack one another once the relic has been won.

The Plan:
I have two 3'x8' tables that will be pushed together to form a 6'x8' table. The armies will be separated lengthwise. The plan for the board itself is to have the Imperial side have a wall across the back couple feet and a city type area/chapel behind it. The city will be in ruins with rubble and debris everywhere. The walls will have bullet holes and blast marks across the front from previous attacks, we'll probably use the rules FW has for an Imperial Wall. Everything in front of the wall will be barren desert type terrain with the craters from the defenders guns. Probably won't be too much in the way of cover on their side, as the attackers rarely have any cover when besieging a fortified stronghold. The idea as of right now is to go for a modular 2'x2' design that will allow me to customize the layout for different games. The layout above is the basic groundwork and most of the terrain pieces will be place on top so long as I can make it look good that way. The table will be a showcase for my models when not in use, so I want it to look really good yet be practical. If any of my buddies decided to get some tables, we may go with 2 6'x8' tables with a bridge between the two but we shall see.

If you have been patient enough to read through all of this I would really enjoy to hear your opinions. As I said earlier, planning is the most important stage and I would really like to know if there is a flaw I'm not thinking about before I start the project and dig deeper into the design phase. This project will definitely be challenging my terrain skills especially considering I've never really done the rough war torn look I'm looking for. My last terrain project was more to showcase natural beauty and it was my first real terrain project that I completed. I have it shown below so you can get an idea of my skill level.

This display board is 2'x2' and has two Hordes minis from my Trollbloods army to show scale.

A close up of the River/Waterfall

The lake in the back, the board isn't really meant to see from the back but I couldn't resist trying such a large water area.

Thanks again for looking and please let me know if you have any thoughts or ideas!
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-13, 09:06 AM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

The home made titan is amazing, and that display board looks great. The bases on the DA are impressive as well. +Rep.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-13, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Fist, the board took a while and I'm quite proud of it. The detailing of the homemade titan has been intimidating me but I'll get to it eventually.

Finally got a weekend off and spent most of it in Washington DC with the family, but I still managed to get some work done on the army. So what exactly did I get done?
I Built 3 Black Knights, Dark Shroud +AC, started on the DA Battleforce by building a Biker and a Landspeeder with HF and AC, and built my Command Land Raider. I'm running out of stuff to build with only 5 more Bikers, an attack bike, a drop pod, a tactical squad, and a terminator squad. Comparatively that's not much left.

I painted the inside for what reason, I don't know since it'll never really be seen. Overall though I was going for a very monastic, mystic feel to the land raider. I was going to go with a Crusader but I only ever run my terminators in 5 man squads with 1 IC so there was no need for the extra carrying space and I love the idea of the purifying fires of the Redeemer so I went with it. I'll probably go with some owl freehand and lots of script on it as well.

Here you can see in the back corner where I really struggled to get the super glue and land raider to work with me. Probably end up filing it down then come over it with brush on primer. I hope in the end it looks okay.

I also started playing with paint schemes for the tactical marines within my army as well. I went out, bought some P3 Beaten Purple, slapped it on, and I like it.

Still needs shading/highlighting but overall the color is good.

This is what I'm thinking they'll look like.

Overall I had a great weekend. I'm happy with the progress I've made but I need to pick up the pace to get my army completed in time for the game. Hopefully now that I've narrowed down my plan I can get the great mechanical assembly line process in order and crank out an army. Luckily after my titan purchase I've been put on a relative spending freeze so I shouldn't have to worry about my army growing much more at least for a little while. The next adventure will be the gaming table and I'm looking forward to it so much that I hope it gives me the motivation to knock out painting over 100 infantry troops, 10 or so vehicles, 15+ bikers and two titans. As always thanks for reading/looking, hope you enjoyed my mini update and if you have any suggestions or comments feel free to leave them (I enjoy them).
-Red
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-18-13, 09:47 AM

Dakingofchaos's Flag is: United Kingdom

Looking good! Been a whillst since I've been on and I'm really impressed with the progress. A note on the gaming boards, is that insulation foam boards your using? It's hard to tell from the top down view.

A club I used to go to uses the foam boards and we found the edges wear down very quickly. Our answer? - Duct tape of course, just wrap it round the edge of the boards when their finished and it will make them last a lot longer. A quick spray of diluted PVA (or matt varnish dependant on money) over the top helps to prevent chipping when models are being moved or dice being rolled.

Love the image of your homeworld, is that of your construct? The fluff is good too.

Now lets see some more titan details!

'If you fail to prepare then you'd better prepare to fail'
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Daking! I haven't made nearly as much progress as I was hoping but I suppose having almost everything built is nice. The image of my homeworld was a picture I found that I manipulated a bit. As for the terrain, I thought about using foam for the boards but I wanted something sturdier. I wen't with 2x2 sheets of OSB with a 1x2 frame. So I started work on the terrian board, couldn't resist. I almost have the basic first 6'x4' section complete. I still have to throw some shrubs in, paint the lines in the road, and touch up some of the details. Looking alright so far, any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated!
The middle board of this 6x4 is missing since I am working on the plan for the other 6x4 and so far it looks like the road will split in two to go around the bastion. The idea for that board will be fun city fighting, whilst allowing the titans to move around a little bit.

A Ground Eye View

Now time for the overhead shots of the individual 2x2 boards:
One of the objectives will be on this board, it will be some sort of shrine where the relic was found.

Here's the back canyon area... (it's not really that yellow in real life, same goes for the next one)

The damaged/sand swept road.

I think we're going to place a crashed plane objective marker or something like that back here.

I don't really like the rock formation I made on this one but a tank could drive to the top and fire from it I guess.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode