Orbital Relay Station - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-13, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Iniquity's Flag is: USA

Default Orbital Relay Station

After reading through Crusade of Fire and the Voidpoint scenario, I thought it would be fun to try my hand at making a space station, thus far dubbed 'The Orbital Relay'. I spent this evening cutting some wood and laying it out in its final setup. I'll pull felt over it all, but I'm unsure what kind of 'walls' I should put up. I'm thinking a ruins like theme, but any and all input is welcome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-13, 06:10 AM

Calistrasza's Flag is: Canada

This looks really cool! As far as aesthetics go, if you're looking for an Imperial station it'd probably be grim and very utilitarian, lots of bulky airlocks and buttresses along the walls (which might be useful as cover from a gaming standpoint). Maybe include a shrine area for techpriests working on the station, cafeteria, crew quarters. Think almost like a submarine- this place would have to be a "home" for the crew as well as performing its functions as a station.

For ruins or a derelict station you could do "decompressed" areas that if you'd like could count as Difficult or Dangerous Terrain, maybe chemical leaks, spraying coolant or corrosive substances, or even electrical/plasma conduits that've been broken by weaponsfire or impacts. Could even do warp-afflicted areas, giving you a nearly limitless palette of ideas to choose from. Lots of potential for in-house rules like low gravity affecting movement speed, or even dangerous areas that are tactically advantageous but could suffer from catastrophic failures if the unit using them takes damage- only takes one bolter shell to blow out an entire observation deck, after all.

Looks like a really creative build- I love the space side of 40k- good luck with the continuation, and be sure to post more pictures!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-13, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Just a little update and no pictures.

Everything is screwed together and most of it has been wrapped in felt. Some of the angles were a little difficult but I think I'll be happy with it for a first try. I'm an rushing it a little for our new campaign on Thursday, so I might do another one later. For $5 and scrap wood I had lying around though, I'm not going to complain.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-13, 11:24 AM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

I'll be watching this with great interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-13, 11:43 AM

Dakingofchaos's Flag is: United Kingdom

Good base from the wood - May I ask why cover it in felt? Roughcoat spray and drybrushing achieves a good effect without having 'soft' terrain. Will be following this.

'If you fail to prepare then you'd better prepare to fail'
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-13, 12:06 PM
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH

Battman's Flag is: Australia

looks good so far waiting to see the rest of your model would be good if you could throw up a tourotial how you did it

Da Golden Waaagh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix View Post
Dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka BATORK!!!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-13, 01:42 PM

Calistrasza's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakingofchaos View Post
Good base from the wood - May I ask why cover it in felt? Roughcoat spray and drybrushing achieves a good effect without having 'soft' terrain. Will be following this.
Probably quite a bit quicker and cheaper than painting + protects your models from a (hopefully short) fall, if need be. And you can vacuum it to clean it.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-13, 03:31 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Totally cool. There's a mission in the BRB that uses a board like this and it totally blew my mind.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-13, 07:51 PM

Dakingofchaos's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calistrasza View Post
Probably quite a bit quicker and cheaper than painting + protects your models from a (hopefully short) fall, if need be. And you can vacuum it to clean it.
Cleaning, not something I had thought of actually! I suppose it's too big to keep in a box somewhere, are the sections modular or are you assembling them all as one piece?

'If you fail to prepare then you'd better prepare to fail'
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-13, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

Campaign starts tomorrow, so I took the set up to the game store. I ran out of felt, so couldn't wrap all the legs, either. I'll get some pictures tomorrow night while it is in use for everyone to see, plus the one below with it finished.

Q&A
May I ask why cover it in felt?
I'm lazy. I wanted it ready for tomorrow's game and I knew felt wouldn't take long, was cheap to get, and easy to clean. One of the gamers asked the same question tonight. I expect when I do a final draft, I will take my time on it.

Are the sections modular?
Yes. In total, there are 16 pieces. Because of the differing heights, there are a limited number of ways it can go together, but removing a couple pieces offers a number of different 'setups'.

How did I do it?
I started with graph paper and used each square as 2". Once I created a top down view that I liked, I went through each 'section' assigning heights, starting at 0" and working my way up to 10". I wanted stairs, so I created a section that started at 6" and ended at 9". I then divided it into 2"x2" sections, cutting a 2"x4" to fit the pattern. I then used 1/4" and 1/2" board to create the steps. The rest I just used 2"x2" lengths to set the heights where I wanted and used 1/2" or 3/4" plywood scraps for the bases.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode