Grimzag's Terrain frenzy. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-09-13, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

Default Grimzag's Terrain frenzy.

Ok, Somehow in my infinate wisdom i have managed to volunteer to run an apocalypse game at my house....again... last time we had a scattering of unfinished and unpainted terrain on untextured/unpainted tables and, whilst we had a good time, the effect was somewhat dispelled by all the dvdcase hills and whatnot that were around.

Back then i pledged that the next time we played we would have a proper board and terrain. The game is now just over a month away.

So as i've apparently bitten off more than i can chew again it's time to get building.

As an estimate the board will be about 4'x14' I've got the boards but still need to texture them and paint them.

To get decent cover for the boards i will need a minimum of 56 terrain units (a unit takes up about 16square"). That's rather a lot of terrain.

Fortunately i'm not starting from square one, i am doing a desert/scrapyard/madmax/fallout vegas feeling board as that's how most of my orks are based up. Fortunately i already have some terrain made in this theme so i've got a bit of a jump start.

So far i have: 2 large polystyrene ruins

an ork village

Tire forest

Some ruined Polystyrene walls

and a couple of othe miscelaneous odds and ends that mean i have about 20 units

NOt a bad starting point but i'm going to be really busy if i want to get up to the minimum mark in time for the game so watch this space for updates.

First up i'm going to make some junkyard walls from scrap plasticard that i have laying around, i might make a start on a meks workshop as well, i really want to get that ork settlement feel going and i'm thinking that a lot of the polystyrene packaging that i have knocking around will be idea for creating a mos eisly type desert outpost.

Watch thisspace

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-13, 09:38 PM
Powered by Squig Tea

Viscount Vash's Flag is: England

Wot Nos comments!?

First thing to get out of they way is that I am not a fan of Polystyrene terrain myself as it never lasts long. As a quick method to cover a table in a hurry though it's passable.

Some nice stuff done already and the tire forest is fun, one thing that really caught my eye was the wind turbine though. Where is it from or is it a build?

Last edited by Viscount Vash; 02-11-13 at 09:41 PM.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-13, 11:25 PM

KjellThorngaard's Flag is: USA

Location: In the basement, surrounded by Woodland Scenics packages.

Cool stuff. I agree with VV about poly terrain, but add that it depends on how you store it. It can last longer if you aren't hard on the storage. Single stack in shallow boxes/bins will increase the life expectancy of the average piece. That and a good bath in PVA before your paint and texture.

I like the Ork village and the can latrine. Or can can. Keep at Grim!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-13, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Unhinged Hobo

As a heads up i'm posting this project on two forums so if you see a post quoted that isn't in the actual thred it's probably from the other forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscount Vash View Post
Wot Nos comments!?

First thing to get out of they way is that I am not a fan of Polystyrene terrain myself as it never lasts long. As a quick method to cover a table in a hurry though it's passable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KjellThorngaard View Post
Cool stuff. I agree with VV about poly terrain, but add that it depends on how you store it. It can last longer if you aren't hard on the storage. Single stack in shallow boxes/bins will increase the life expectancy of the average piece. That and a good bath in PVA before your paint and texture.
Thanks Vash, i found the same with poly terrain but i don't move terrain around very often, currently it tends to stay in the same display cabinet that my orks live in, which tends to keep it more or less protected.
That and the fact that i have started coating my terrain in polyfiller seems to give it a bit more durability as well as letting me use spray paints on it without it melting. I would never consider using it for a club or a regular group though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscount Vash View Post
Some nice stuff done already and the tire forest is fun, one thing that really caught my eye was the wind turbine though. Where is it from or is it a build?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KjellThorngaard View Post
I like the Ork village and the can latrine. Or can can. Keep at Grim!
The ork village, tire forest, wind turbine and crapper were all bought from Deamonscape.
The turbine needed some pretty hefty pinning as the arms are metal on it and the rest of the model is resin, i'm seriously considering basing it up to make it more stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplonski
For an Ork villiage I made in the past I bought a big box of hundreds (thousands?) of popsicle sticks from a DIY store, a hot glue gun, and a straight cutter. You can build some pretty handy buildings and barricades that look quite Orky. Occasional metal plates really help the theme. I spent about 2 hours with the sticks, glue gun, and cutter and made more than 5 tables worth of terrain. One coat of brown spray paint on the wood parts and it was done.

Good luck!

Matt
Thanks for the tip, i actually have a bag of 1000 wooden coffee stirrers that i bought ages ago for an incompleted trenchworks project that i started. Maybe i should have a play with them.

Also i've finished a few stretches of fence for going around my mekshop/tire yard once it's built. Not bad for an hour or so worth of construction (i spent a little while adding rivets to the armour sheets) and probably the same with painting. The last shot gives some idea of scale.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-13, 08:51 AM

Ring Master "Honka"'s Flag is: United Kingdom

i like the walls. what did you use for the barbed wire across the top?

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-13, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Unhinged Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring Master "Honka" View Post
i like the walls. what did you use for the barbed wire across the top?
I got the barbed wire from here.

Well the frenzy didn't really happen. however as i now only have a handful of days to get everything ready for the big battle i'm back into the frenzy mode. I spent all day today...well technically yesturday now, working on my boards and terrain. FOrtunately the weather was really nice and warm so paint and glue was drying quickly.

Instead of 14' by 4' i am going for 10' by 4' for one it makes moveing around the living room easier, for another i don't think we could cover a table that big anyway. So i only need 5 2' by 4' boards then.

Here they are with textured wallpaper on.

I added the warboss in the foreground and nob in the background as a sort of comparison scale.

And here is with all the terrain that is already completed laid out.

As you can see there are still gaps. So i hammered out a few polystyrene constructions, this will probably be a mekboy workshop.

Not sure what this will be, a barracks like building/abandonned civilian building?

what will become a tank emplacement

some ruins

I managed to finish painting the board whilst i was waiting for the glue to dry on the poly buildings.

I know it's a bit patchy but i think that adds some depth to the colours, i'm not planning on doing much else with the board, just a coat of varnish to protect it.
I also managed to do another polystyrene building earlier but for some reason i didin't take any pictures...incidentally i also managed to get the building coated in polyfiller to block the aerosol spray when i start painting and also give it a loverly stone effect. This managed to dry in the sun whilst i was squaring up the living room redy for the board to be brought indoors, and i managed to spend most of the evening adding details to it, this bad boy is alredy ready for paint.

Here is how the board looks at the end of day one, if the weather is as nice tomorrow i should be able to get all the other polystyrene coated in filler and detailed, i also hope i can get some additional fence sections built to fill in the gaps in the junk yard fence.

Seeya tomorrow.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-13, 03:06 AM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

Wow mate nicely done! I seriously love all this stuff. Keep up the good work, and good luck!

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-13, 10:40 AM

Ring Master "Honka"'s Flag is: United Kingdom

i cannot wait to play on that board. AHHHHH SOOOOO MUCH KILLY

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-13, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Unhinged Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMOB View Post
Wow mate nicely done! I seriously love all this stuff. Keep up the good work, and good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring Master "Honka" View Post
i cannot wait to play on that board. AHHHHH SOOOOO MUCH KILLY
Cheers guys, i'm going all out to try and get this all completed but i think i'm going to be hard pushed.

Today i managed to get all of the remaining polystyrene structures coated in filler, it wasn't warm today so stuff took forever to dry, it was past lunch by the time everything was in a condition i could do other things with.

I undercoated the ruins piece and tank redoubt as they don't need any additional modelling to be ready.

I was going to do a load of modelling and try to get the mekshop and barracks built but the mekshop took forever, it's still not complete. It's looking pretty nice though...
First a boring shot of filler clad barracks.

I'm actually pretty proud of how the mek shop is working out.
the rear of the shop and lower balconies, this is nearly complete, there are a couple of gaps to fill at the bottom of the model and some rivets but pretty much done.

side shot

front door, still needs detailing.

shop sign, i have plans to fill this out and it will make sense once it's painted...trust me.

the selection of chimneys on the front of the building.

And the extra chimney on the side of the building. This needs detailing too.

On the roof the mek has started building....something...a tractor cannon, mega zzzap gun...i'm not sure yet.

I'm going to be working tomorrow but i'll try to get some time in to work on this stuff. Again i'l seeya tomorrow.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-14, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Unhinged Hobo

So the terrain didn't really get finished last year, in the end we played on unpainted buildings but it was still a step up from the previous year. This year i've got untill July before the game hits. And instead of leaving it all to the last minute i'm going to try and get the terrain done early. Here are a couple of WIP shots of buildings which were only plain polystyrene last time you saw them.

Barraks

Warehouse?

Ruins

Now i have months to work on the rest of the boards and as i'm not painting my main ork army the world is my oyster as far as what i could end up working on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode