Forgiveness Is A Sign of Weakness - A Dark Angels Log - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-24-13, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

G8Keeper's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Forgiveness Is A Sign of Weakness - A Dark Angels Log

Hi everybody, first time poster over here! I'm eager to get this thread and my creative juices flowing so I shall dive straight in!

I've been collecting Dark Angels for well over 13 years now and my collection has grown steadily over that time, starting from a lowly 1500 point army painted quite poorly for a Warseer (Portent as it was then) tournament in which i failed miserably and moving to where I am today with a painted force of roughly 7000 points.

A few months ago two friends and I decided we would embark upon a tale of three gamers project, each with us starting a new force, painting and gaming as we went, increasing points limits incrimentally as we saw fit and completed sections of our army's. This is the first post for me on that project as due to christmas and a number of financial constraints I've only been able to start recently.

I decided to go with Dark Eldar initially but soon changed my mind when I saw the Ravenwing rules in the new Dark Angels codex. I've never really had a strong Ravenwing presence in my collection so now was an ideal time to start.

Initially we have 500 points from which to construct a basic army. Somewhat limited for Ravenwing and as such you will see from the image below I have Sammael and 8 bikers, weighing in at 479 points (i think).

I plan on obviously finishing the squad on the right but also "dirtying up" the left squad, along with a few changes such as the back banner's head being painted black.

Comments or critique so far would be welcome, I plan on an update roughly once every two weeks, maybe sooner depending on games.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-24-13, 07:39 PM

son of azurman's Flag is: Scotland

looks great so far,is it just ravenwing you do or do you o normal/deathwing aswell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
If an immovable object is struck by an unstoppable force, how many potatoes will fit in the jelly mould?
Renegades 9:flesh is weak
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=122389

Eldrad Ulthran:
"He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it."

inquisitor czevak:
"Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know."
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-24-13, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

I do all three. Currently I have the whole 3rd Company painted bar 2 rhinos, probably around 30-40 ravenwing bikes and 50 or so terminators all in various states of completion plus I would guess at most of the 4th company unassembled.

Lots of work to do!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-13, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Ok so a decent update here. I've had time to work on a couple of bikes so that I almost have my army up to gaming standard. Only two bikes remain plain black.

Starting with Sammael who has had no work at all done on him thus far. I still need to attach his sword arm yet again, probably pinning it this time and finish off some edge hightlighting as well as some work on his face.

Bike squad 1 are the ones with their bases attached. These basically require the white on their fairings tidying up, the head of their back banners painting black and various highlighting odds and ends.

Bike squad 2 are without bases and as such I had to lean them together slightly so was only able to grab side pictures. I decided to go with two plasma guns here and use up most of my remaining points. This unit is very WIP with all needing bases and two without any work at all. Notice the white on their fairings is alot neater and this is how I plan on both squads looking in the end.

Comments and critique welcome. Also, if there's the interest I'll try and get up a pic of my entire painted DA collection?

One last thing, photobucket seems to hate me hence having to attach the photos to the post instead of include them. See you all soon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RW Squad 1 WIPa.jpg (70.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg RW Squad 1 WIPa side.jpg (81.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg RW Squad 1 WIPb.jpg (74.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg RW Squad 1 WIPb side.jpg (72.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg RW Squad 2 WIPa side.jpg (70.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg RW Squad 2 WIPb side.jpg (65.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Sammael left.jpg (33.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Sammael right.jpg (33.9 KB, 11 views)
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-13, 03:26 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Plenty of solid work there.

Your whites seem a touch thick in places; I suggest even more even thinner layers.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-13, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Ironically the white is done in 4 thin layers, maybe its the way it's ran into the recesses or something? I shall try and thin the layers even more on the next bike, maybe it'll tip the balance.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-13, 03:02 PM

Kobrakai's Flag is: United Kingdom

Hey Steve.

I'm really sorry it's taken me this long to reply to the thread. It looks like some good replies are coming in, and the new Ravenwing stuff is looking really good so kudos. Our tale of gamers event is going quite nicely it seems!

What's next on the block?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-13, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobrakai View Post
Hey Steve.

I'm really sorry it's taken me this long to reply to the thread. It looks like some good replies are coming in, and the new Ravenwing stuff is looking really good so kudos. Our tale of gamers event is going quite nicely it seems!

What's next on the block?
Hey Joe!

Well next on the block once i've got around to finishing the last two bikes (bloomin uni!!) is probably a Darkshroud followed by yes, more bikes. I'm looking to get three full squadrons of 6 in there in 1000 points if i can, then going for some cooler options such as Black Knights or maybe a Librarian.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-13, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Ok a bit of time has elapsed since my last update. I have no new pics of my ravenwing as frankly, 11 bikes and Sammael were boring enough to paint (aside from Sammael) and to show pics of similar works to those i've shown already seemed a bit pointless. Fear not, I shall pop a pic or two up once the army is at 1000 points (currently working on the 500-750 jump).

I thought i'd take some time this afternoon and get a group shot of all of my painted dark angels. Little did I know what it would involve, after an hour or so of dusting off tanks, repairing a couple of models (i gave up with a few) and lugging my cases etc downstairs, I realised the table wasn't big enough.

So I just went for my 3rd company plaus supporting elements and omitted the 'wings. Apologies for the slightly dodgy quality it was taken on my mobile phone, although I don't think it came out too badly. C&c welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3rd Company and Support.jpg (518.7 KB, 20 views)
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-13, 05:37 PM

Kobrakai's Flag is: United Kingdom

Now that is looking INSANE!!

Totally awesome Steve, that looks amazing. Need to add a few more pictures of the entire collection!

Need to see it all soon!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode