Scratch built Thunderbolt - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-13, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Maverike Prime's Flag is: USA

Default Scratch built Thunderbolt

So I've been working on this project for some time, and I posted a break down about how I built the engine master in the tutorials section, and now I'm able to keep working on it thanks to the arrival of several items I've ordered. Like the 6 quarts of mold making compound for instance. So this will be the work log for this project on this website.

So, why am I trying to scratch build a Thunderbolt? Well for started because I can. But also to push my skills. I'm going to do a scratch built thunderhawk, but that is an utterly massive undertaking and there's a difference between jumping in at the deep end, and jumping off the dock with 50 pounds of bloody ground beef while an entire family of hungry Great White sharks are swimming around. Building the Thunderbolt is jumping in the deep end for me. So far, I think it's turning out well. You can view the entire progress of my efforts to build the thunderhawk (and thus the Thunderbolt) here on my blog.

Be Sure to follow me on:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-13, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Default 288 lego bricks.... 3 quarts of silocone rubber... 2 pounds of clay...

So, what does all of that add up? Well right now it adds up to 3 Lego boxes filled with silicone on top of the dryer. My orders came in and now i can continue work on the Thunderbolt, the body of which you can see on the flight stand on the left side of the image.

The first box (on the left) is the first half of a 2 part mold which will have the back section of the engine, the Ammo Hopper I built a while back, a lascannon, and the Autocannon with the angled mount for the thunderbolt. The second box is a single piece mold and contains the intake for the engine and the engine mount itself. The third box in the first half of the mold for the right wing.

Something I'm going to try to do is adding magnets to the design of this model. Particularly for the missiles. So what I'm going to do is cast the wings up with magnets at the base of the weapon pylons, and then cast up the hellstrike missiles with magnets in the bodies of those. So that way the missiles can be attached to the pylons, and removed once they are fired in a game.

Be Sure to follow me on:

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-13, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

I'm sure some of you are wondering where this post went. Well, to be short it went away. I was informed that the information I had posted violated copyrights held by GW and as such put Heresy Online at risk. Rather then rely on the Mods to police the threads and pick them apart to avoid potentially damaging retribution from Games Workshop, or others, I have elected to simply remove the entirety of the post from the heresy online forum. The information can still be found on my blog but for the security of Heresy Online it will not be posted here.

Maverike Prime

Be Sure to follow me on:

Last edited by Maverike Prime; 01-14-13 at 12:11 AM. Reason: I removed the post. My rational is in the post itself.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-13, 11:07 AM

Hellados's Flag is: United Kingdom

That is very useful for anyone that gives it a go. I think it gives us an idea of how GW feel casting tons and tons of this at once

GL and keep it up! I'm interested to know if you have any warping
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-13, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellados View Post
That is very useful for anyone that gives it a go. I think it gives us an idea of how GW feel casting tons and tons of this at once

GL and keep it up! I'm interested to know if you have any warping
I haven't yet encountered any non-intentional warping. By that I mean I've had pieces that I have purposefully bent in experimentation, but I haven't had a piece I cast and came back to an hour later that was warped and bent.

Be Sure to follow me on:

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-13, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Default The Work continues, sort of

So my progress on the Thunderbolt continues, but is somewhat halted. I need to order more molding compound. I didn't like how the first mold of the engine came out so I tried to make a better mold. While I managed to do that, I used more mold compound then I had previously planned on. So I need to order more. Otherwise I can't make the mold for the left wing and lets face it, a one-winged Thunderbolt is going to fly a whole lot worse then a two-winged version. However, I'm doubly delayed on that front because I just had to drop about $700 on a bit of a health problem. End result is nothing serious but I'm lucky I caught it when I did otherwise the doctors were concerned I'd be risking blindness in my right eye. No telling how much being blind in one eye would have slowed down my hobbying. So it will be a couple weeks till I can order more mold compound.

But that doesn't stop me from working with what I already have on hand. As previously stated I intend to use magnets in my final build to allow me to drop bombs, remove hell fire missiles and swap out fuel pods as I see fit. Well I managed to cast up one wing with magnets in it. Here's a video showing the magnets in action.

Right now it's using a single bar magnet in each pylon. The bar is magnetixed through the long axis. meaning if you look at the bar like this:

Magnet bar ===> =============
Then the poles of the magnet are on the ends of the bar, like so:
Magnet bar ===> =============

While this works it feels a bit flimsy and I think will put too strain on my efforts to build an alignment system into the missiles and pods. Also any alignment system I do build will be based on absolute placement of the magnets in both pieces, meaning if the magnet in the pylon is placed exactly 5.4mm from the back side of the pylon then accompanying magnet in the pylon, missile and fuel pod must also be exactly5.4mm from the back edge of the alignment system. An exacting measurement that is extremely difficult to accomplish. So what am I going to do about this? Well I think I'm going to get bar magnets that are magnetized along the long side rather then on the ends. That way it will be largely self aligning.

Be Sure to follow me on:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode