The Son of Horus- Collected Visions - Page 19 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 426 (permalink) Old 02-21-14, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Anyway, this is the model I replaced the above derpy axeman with. I don't know why I didn't take a picture of it before... it's been painted for a couple weeks now:

Just to take a break from Warhammer, I painted the Reaper Bones Hydra that's been sitting in my box since my Kickstarer package showed up. I run a Pathfinder game weekly, and play in another one, and in both I am the supplier of minis. It never hurts to add another monster to the collection that's ready to hit the table. That being said, Reaper minis don't have nearly the detail that GW figures do, and on big scaly models like this, there's really not much more to be done than drybrush it. I love the Bones range for what they are, though-- super inexpensive, perfect for roleplaying games, and while they're not great for miniature art, they're great for putting playing pieces on the table. The Hydra is about the size of a Maulerfiend/Forgefiend, for the sake of how big it actually is.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

Last edited by The Son of Horus; 02-21-14 at 07:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 426 (permalink) Old 02-21-14, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
The Hebrew Hammer

Decided I should probably clean up my old Be'lakor model. I don't know if I'll ever use him as Be'lakor himself, but I do need a daemon prince handy in case one of my characters manages to roll Dark Apotheosis. I cleaned up a few of the highlights that weren't great, and put him up on a rock. He came on the 40mm base originally, so I didn't really see any reason to put him on a larger base-- I know he now comes on a 60mm one, though.

And I finished the Aspiring Champion for the third Chosen Squad.

post #183 of 426 (permalink) Old 02-22-14, 10:43 AM

Gothic's Flag is: United Kingdom

I love the idea for using the warriors of chaos shield.

post #184 of 426 (permalink) Old 02-25-14, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothic View Post
Thanks! I actually got into Warhammer Fantasy by kitbashing the Warriors of Chaos models with Chaos Space Marines-- I have quite a few Chaos Space Marines with Warriors of Chaos swords, axes, maces, and shields. Back at the start of 4th Edition, the Chaos Space Marine box came with enough bolt pistols and close combat weapons to arm six models with close combat weapons, but not all eight the box came with. Since the squads had to have matching weapons at the time and couldn't have a bolter, bolt pistol, AND a close combat weapon, kitbashing the Warriors of Chaos box provided a convenient solution to the problem by providing everything needed that wasn't in the Chaos Space Marine box at the time. Eventually, I realized I had so many Warriors of Chaos bodies sitting around that I might as well put an army together.

I decided to tackle some of the terrain I have sitting around-- I have a couple large boxes of unfinished terrain, and I typically can knock out a piece in one sitting. I intentionally paint terrain a little "loosely" and weather the hell out of it so that it accentuates the models standing in and around it. After all, you don't want the table to be more interesting than your army that's fighting on it! The new Special Effects paints from GW make painting terrain this way a breeze... airbrush the base colors on, slop some Special Effects paint on, and dot in the little details, and you're basically done.

This particular piece is a (very ruined!) pumping station made from extras left over from a Manufactorum set. I had combined two Manufactorum kits to make a larger piece, so I had some stuff left over. The baseboard on this piece is about 6'' x 4'' though, so it's large enough to actually matter on the table as a small piece rather than simply be table dressing. A given GW building kit (any of 'em--the Manufactorum, Sanctum Imperialis, or Basilica Administratum) should easily make at least three of these. This piece will feature in an article I'm working on for Talk Wargaming about cost-effective, quality terrain (and rip major events who use "the cost" as an excuse for having bare tables) soon, so stay tuned for that!

And a Space Marine for scale.

post #185 of 426 (permalink) Old 02-25-14, 09:35 AM

I used to the old warriors of chaos arms which I might start using again. These are the warriors I'm on about,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.9 KB, 8 views)
post #186 of 426 (permalink) Old 02-25-14, 12:25 PM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Son of Horus View Post
Quote:
Thanks! I actually got into Warhammer Fantasy by kitbashing the Warriors of Chaos models with Chaos Space Marines
This conversion and paintjob looks great! I got a whole bunch of Warriors of Chaos Bits to kitbash Chaos Space Marines, but as they were being held in a different city at the time my Guard and now Grey Knights have slid in front priority wise... even though I managed to pick the Chaos back up over christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Son of Horus View Post
I decided to tackle some of the terrain I have sitting around-- I have a couple large boxes of unfinished terrain
I hear that! Great work with that ruined pump station, it looks excellent.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #187 of 426 (permalink) Old 03-02-14, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
The Hebrew Hammer

Maybe not the most exciting update... photographing the Knight is... a challenge due to its size, to say the least.

While I'm waiting for a critical replacement component for my airbrush, I have kind of done all I can do with the Knight-- the color scheme I have planned really requires an airbrush to do on the armor plates, which have been left off of the model to be painted separately, along with the arms. The armor plates are gong to be blended from a rich jade green out to white, and then have an ivy vine motif painted on top of it in black near the edges. Roses losing their petals will appear in the heraldry alongside saintly imagery-- sort of a very stylized 16th-century French nobility kind of feel.

I've started the very initial light sourcing work on the back of the Knight:

I'm going to continue to apply series of glazes to smooth out the color transitions for the light sourcing around the engine. I also have a lot of weathering to do on all the metal areas, and particularly around the exhausts still.

A very simple way to make the knight able to twist its torso on three axis is just gluing a bit of sprue to hold the torso to the pelvis, rather than gluing the ball and socket together.

post #188 of 426 (permalink) Old 03-02-14, 02:07 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Watching with keen interest.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #189 of 426 (permalink) Old 03-02-14, 10:01 AM

I thought you would've add the knight to your chaos SoH

Gothic
post #190 of 426 (permalink) Old 03-02-14, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
I thought you would've add the knight to your chaos SoH

Gothic
While my Chaos Space Marines certainly could use a superheavy asset, at the moment, it doesn't appear that Chaos can bring Knights-- they're only available to Imperial armies. Which isn't a bad thing-- I kind of like the idea of the Imperium having something really cool and unique that Chaos doesn't have, and vice versa. Chaos gets the really cool daemon engines (including the problematic Heldrake), the Imperium gets the Knight.

Besides, I have a Chapter of Space Marines (45,500 points, give or take), a company of Leman Russes (yay original apocalypse release!), maybe 1000 points of Guardsmen otherwise, about 1500 in Sisters, 1850 in Grey Knights, a very misleading 1850 of Space Wolves (it's 24 models... stuff five named characters in a drop pod and watch the magic happen lol)... given the size of my Imperial collection, which far outweighs my Chaos collection in scale and points, it felt right to add the Knight to my forces of the Imperium.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode