Zion's Dark Mechanicus Project Log - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Project Logs This forum is dedicated to discussing and displaying your works in progress.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-12, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Default Zion's Dark Mechanicus Project Log

I had a little free time and felt like starting with a Gauss Blaster:

It's mostly done now, I just need to mount an arm (I'm linking a fleshy arm bit and some green stuff to give it a nice "Obliterator Virus" infected look), and then learn to cast it. Casting it to keep from needing to spend all my money on bits. I admit the wire is a little off (and the white looking stuff is super glue I put a slight coat of on it to keep the wire in place), and if I go back and do this again I'd likely use a lower gauge to give it a nice meaty look. And a different weapon to base around. Maybe a Multi-Laser or Lascannon body?

EDIT: Figured it out. I re-split the back section of the Autocannon, and am keeping it separate. To attach it I'm rotating it 90 degrees and using that flat section as the mounting side, putting the rounded section outward. This will allow me to attach the barrel section so the blade is pointing down, and put the gun on either side depending on the model. With the larger wire it looks something like this:

I still need to work some green stuff in to help blend things and give it a nice Chaosy feel.

Last edited by Zion; 11-02-12 at 03:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-12, 06:08 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

I'm looking forward to seeing this develop. Best of luck!

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-12, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Token Trans Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing this develop. Best of luck!
Thanks! I look forward to having more to put up here in the future, but I'm waiting for my casting kit to come in for the weapons casting (I ordered a complete starter set, let's hope I can learn to use it without mucking everything up).

In the mean time I felt that sharing some of my notes thus far (written up in another thread, but I felt they should be posted here as well to ensure I don't somehow lose them or forget something, and so people can get an idea of what I'm looking at doing):

Quote:
I originally considered using Servitor models for the army, but they don't really have a lot of room for me to play about so I'm going a different route with it. Namely green stuff, a lot of wire and raiding other kits for what I want.

I'll be using Vampire Counts Zombies* for the basis for my Count-As Warriors Servitors and the Crypteks (Heritek Engineseers) and Wraiths. Empire Flagellants* will be providing bits for Wraiths (who will b, Lords (Heritek Magos), the Traveller (also a Magos, but will get some extra love to give him that Special Character feel), and the Destroyer Lord.

Servitors are getting a pale, blue tinted skin (side-effect of replacing their blood with energy from the warp (which will also give them black eyes with white irises (just because I dig the way that looks)), which is just some mental fluff I've come up for them).

The various Heriteks will be using a more grayish skin (one based around the GW colors for the Dark Eldar) to give them a more removed look from what we consider to be normal for people. Of course they'll be getting as much as I can give them in terms of personality.

Weapons will be kitbashed and then cast so I can mass-produce them as I want to give them a fairly uniform appearance (like the equipment gets a lot of attention in it's design, but the Servitors are less uniform and more ragtag themselves since they're from whomever happened to be available at the time (slaves, captured Imperial citizens, people who were traded for technology....). Gauss Weapons are going to get a kind of orange-red coil (daemonically powered linear magnetic accelerator! ...yes I am a nerd), and Tesla are getting a pronged end that I'm imagining will be used to "throw" lightning at the target. Warscythes are going to be (generally) based on the cogged axes the Techmarines/Engineseers have, though I may go for a cogged halbred instead.

I'm not yet sure how I'm approaching the vehicles just yet. I am however trying to keep them about the same size and will be keeping some visual similarities between what I've made and what they represent (I'm thinking of doing the Ghost Arks up to look like rib cages with the Servitors hanging down inside of them for example), but that's something that's going to be harder to really do up than the rest of the army I think.

*I decided on Fantasy Models that fit the rough physical build of the kinds of things they represent and don't have armor (since that rather gets in the way of really giving the servitors the kind of character I want to give them). Using Fantasy models is a good deal too as I get 20 Zombies for $35.00 USD and 10 Flagellants for $29.00 USD, which means I'll be building this army a lot cheaper than if I built the entire thing using Servitors, Techmarines and Engineseers.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-12, 02:14 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Good idea to include the other discussion.

Have you done resin casting before?
Be very careful. Make sure you're using gloves and mask, in a well ventilated area.

My understanding is that this sort of resin is one of those compounds that exposure over time causes increased chances of allergic reactions.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-12, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Token Trans Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
Good idea to include the other discussion.

Have you done resin casting before?
Be very careful. Make sure you're using gloves and mask, in a well ventilated area.

My understanding is that this sort of resin is one of those compounds that exposure over time causes increased chances of allergic reactions.
I have not cast with Resin before. However I do have a friend who has and he's agree to show me how to do it (and I'm a little familiar with the process thanks to the internet as well).

Naturally I plan on doing it in a well ventilated area as I like my lungs, but with winter coming up I'll have to work around the weather as well.

So all-in-all definitely a challenge I'm willing to accept as it will still be cheaper than trying to kit bash all those Gauss Blasters, Flayers, and Tesla weapons.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-12, 11:11 PM
Septok's Flag is: England

I'm looking forwards to seeing how this comes out, especially with how you're going to do Arks and Scythes (assuming you're making by the list). Looking good thus far.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-12, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Token Trans Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septok View Post
I'm looking forwards to seeing how this comes out, especially with how you're going to do Arks and Scythes (assuming you're making by the list). Looking good thus far.
I am building by the list! I'm not sure how I'll be doing the vehicles yet, but I've got time since I'll be doing the other models first.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-12, 05:42 AM

KahRyez's Flag is: USA

I like the gauss blaster so far, it will be interesting to see over a dozen of them that you will field from your army list. I can't wait to see your versions of the flayer and tesla weapons as well.

A question though, how will the Immortals/Eternals differ from the regular warriors? Will they be better armored perhaps? or maybe have a little bit more sentience than their warrior type brothers?

-There is nothing that can not be beat with a proper application of gauss fire-
Bloody Harvest of Destroyer Lord Badrum W- D- L-

-Vengeance for the betrayed!-
Dark Talons CSM Warband(Dex:CS) W- D- L-

You can round up a million maggots to try to defeat me... but you'll still all just be maggots!
- Luca Blight
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-12, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Token Trans Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahRyez View Post
I like the gauss blaster so far, it will be interesting to see over a dozen of them that you will field from your army list. I can't wait to see your versions of the flayer and tesla weapons as well.

A question though, how will the Immortals/Eternals differ from the regular warriors? Will they be better armored perhaps? or maybe have a little bit more sentience than their warrior type brothers?
The Immortals are going to be based around the Flagellant models so they'll be a bit beefier in terms of physical build (Zombies are thin and weaker looking but the Flagellant models have some musculature to them).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Project Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode